atv logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For ATV logging, that Can-am would be useless......no? As Rob said, seems to be for play, not for pulling laden trailers or skidding logs. A toy for a rich guy, not a guy utilizing it to make work easier or save time.

I'm not interested in having to go 50 MPH to get through anything...

I want something that will pull a load and be able to stop and go, doing so...

I see a guy on You-tube that has Can Ams, a Sherp ect… Sure he goes through the snow, but those Can Ams are more for play than for work.

SR
What makes you think you couldn’t work with the ATV I posted..I’m betting it’s got the strongest drivetrain of any ATV out there.

I mean..heck ..if people are gonna come in the ATV logging thread and start comparing them to farm tractors then why not push the apples to oranges thing a little further.

The only way a atv can go through 2 feet of snow is with a blade on front clearing the way. Lol
Not in an open field where the snow has blown and drifted. The snow is.packed so tight can hardy get through 12inchs. Iv tried getting to the bush a few times and just wind up turning around. Way too much work.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

View attachment 723554

You guys are obviously out of the loop on the ATV’s that are available in 2019...Can-Am makes a 1,000 cc , 95 hp monster on giant mud tires that will laugh at 24” a snow.

There’s a whole group of guys around me that have these machines, some even modified for more power and bigger tires that ride the local places and plow right through 3-4 feet of mud!

The pic. is of a bone stock Can-Am XMR.
Well yes i would say the new can ams probly would but im not spending 20 grand plus on a machine like that. Cheaper to buy an old tractor.

I'm not interested in having to go 50 MPH to get through anything...

I want something that will pull a load and be able to stop and go, doing so...

I see a guy on You-tube that has Can Ams, a Sherp ect… Sure he goes through the snow, but those Can Ams are more for play than for work.

SR
No racks would make it useless to me. When i pack up for the woods i look like a homeless person all the stuff i got.on tje racks lol.

What makes you think you couldn’t work with the ATV I posted..I’m betting it’s got the strongest drivetrain of any ATV out there.

I mean..heck ..if people are gonna come in the ATV logging thread and start comparing them to farm tractors then why not push the apples to oranges thing a little further.
Because they are geared for speed, not pulling loads at sloooow speed...

I didn't see anyone in here comparing tractors to ATV's... What I saw was guys showing what THEY use (tractors), because that's what they have that works for them...

SR

Well yes i would say the new can ams probly would but im not spending 20 grand plus on a machine like that. Cheaper to buy an old tractor.

Yeah I know..I was just messing suggesting you’d want to use a high performance mud racing machine to drag firewood. I was just showing how silly it is to compare a ATV to a farm implement...kinda like if I went into the firewood tractor thread and challenged everybody to a race against my Honda 310 motocross 4wheeler.

Because they are geared for speed, not pulling loads at sloooow speed...

I didn't see anyone in here comparing tractors to ATV's... What I saw was guys showing what THEY use (tractors), because that's what they have that works for them...

SR
Did you look at the title of this thread..its specific to ATVs ..if THEY use tractors then maybe THEY should go post in the firewood tractor thread.

Since a dealer can make or break any thing when service and parts are needed In my area I say go with a 450CC Yahama or Can Am.

My ATV is a Polaris and I like it a lot was very reliable a 1994. but I went and bought it in Michigans UP a 6 hour drive while visiting my daughter going to Michigan Tec in Houghton.
The local Polaris Dealer said there were none in Michigan when I asked.
When I needed a starter for it he wanted my first born and a pick up with a long box full of money for one. I got it From D& B electric off the net for $36.00.

:D Al

Can am's ain't for work. Yammi, honda, suzi's are for work. Tire tech has come along so much 2' of snow wouldn't bother me. There might be better options for the unlimited wallet but I wouldn't waffle using my atv. Especially if you have a wench to use if you got stuck.

Yes Suzuki's are work horses.
Been using my 700 for 12 yrs exclusively for work, wood cutting, dragging logs, spreading mulch and pushing snow.

If you have property, an ATV is your best friend.
Why do I feel quilty posting in a ATV thread. Lmao 20160123_113917.jpg

Well Al, the guy in post #32 claims his 4-wheeler will go in 2' of snow, I've never owned any 3 or 4-wheeler that would go in 2' of snow, and I've owned ATV's continuously since the ATC90 I bought in about 1970...

I just can't seem to get that spl. one! lol

I have aggressive 27" tires on my suzSuz King Quad 750 and have been dragging trees all winter here in central MN. Once a trail is established it's easily doable. Never officially measured the snow, but it's friggin deep!

Attachments

• 20150917_171326.jpg
    20150917_171326.jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 21
Did you look at the title of this thread..its specific to ATVs ..if THEY use tractors then maybe THEY should go post in the firewood tractor thread.
I thought we already crossed THAT bridge and got past it...

I had no idea you guys in here were such sensitive types, come-on, put your "big girl panties" on, and get past it!
orig.gif

SR

My BIL has a bush burro and that thing can sure hold a good size load. He stacks it in ther quite high. This is only season one with it. So far it seems to be built well but little pricey though.

They are well worth the money. I have beating the snot outta mine for almost 8 years.

I have a 2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660. I've pulled an awful lot of wood with it. I love the reliability, power, high and low, and auto. I need to get new tires or chains for it. I have to go up a gradual hill to get out of the woods no matter what. Most of the time I have no problem pulling the trailer, but if it's too muddy or snowy it won't do it at all.

Back