atv logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allstihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Had a day off from work so I decided to get some firewood in .It doesn't take long to make quick work of a tree when I can skid it up to the woodshed . Now I can css when I want and only handle it once . I was gonna do a couple more trees but the wind got brutal .DSC00157.JPG

I spent a lot of time on the Columbia River growing up, We "Skidded" a lot of wood with the boats. We cut Blowdown over on the Islands and also would pick logs off the Pile wing dams just up river from us, some nice logs ended up there, some were escapees from the log rafting operation upstream from there, they never seemed to bother collecting the lost logs, so we did. Every once in awhile a truck load bundle would break up and get loose, the call went out, and it was a boating log Rodeo. The marina we moored our Boathouse at had a ramp, and we used our 69 Ford wagon with a 390 for skidding logs out of the river to buck into firewood, enough went to the boathouse for it's fireplace the rest went home. Dad had a Mac SP 60 that I learned to cut with, wish I had known he was selling it when he did, it wouldn't hold a candle to my 266XP or 3120XP, but I sure would love to have it in my collection.

Doug :cheers:

Thats how i get most my wood too. The atv sure is handy.
d1205b6dbc54ffa4f9ad9235cf985cbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Sometimes I split where the tree falls, and haul with the small cart to stacks:

Sometimes, I don't have time to split, so I use this handy log arch I made to drag the logs to a place I can roll them up off the ground for future cutting and splitting:

Either way, the ATV is a work mule in the woods.

Might as well throw up a couple too. Older poor cell pics. Think I've put them on here before, maybe.

Same trailer. It's pretty handy. Can B-train the splitter with it.

That's a good load of wood. Which atv model is this ? No problem hauling that load ?

That's a good load of wood. Which atv model is this ? No problem hauling that load ?

It's an old 1997 Arctic Cat Bearcat - has a Suzuki drivetrain, 454cc with hi/low range & manual transmission. It's a workhorse, but only has a top speed of about 30mph. No problems hauling, no. Just have to be careful on the rough & hilly with breaking a wheel loose & going for a ride. Those loads went up some hills but those were on a good woods road - had to crawl over rough stuff to get to the woods road. I have spun it out the odd time in the rough & hilly, can't load full then. Really should have some new tires - still has the originals on it.

Back