atv's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it. honestly its prolly gonna be prolly gonna be more for play than work. i would like to get something with a plow to do my parents driveway for them. would something like a 350 rancher be too small to plow? the grizzlys seem to get alot of love but cheap ones are few and far between from wjhat i find. maybe ill check out some new ones at the dealer just for the hell of it. i doubt id buy new but ive done plenty of stupid things before.

work duties would be plowing (parents have a big ass straight driveway), occasional wood detail pulling logs out of the woods with my little trailer.

trail riding with the guys i work with for play.

well I beg to differ yes it could use better tires but I hauled plenty of wood with it last year before I painted it I could load it with oak and would go .I did not mud bog with it or serious off roading .but it is a good little truck

thanks for the replies guys i appreciate it. honestly its prolly gonna be prolly gonna be more for play than work. i would like to get something with a plow to do my parents driveway for them. would something like a 350 rancher be too small to plow? the grizzlys seem to get alot of love but cheap ones are few and far between from wjhat i find. maybe ill check out some new ones at the dealer just for the hell of it. i doubt id buy new but ive done plenty of stupid things before.

work duties would be plowing (parents have a big ass straight driveway), occasional wood detail pulling logs out of the woods with my little trailer.

trail riding with the guys i work with for play.

I'd think that the rancher would do the job just fine. Do some research on Suzuki Vinson's (500) and Eiger's (400) if you have a mind to. Very simple and reliable quads. I've had my Vinson for about 5 years now and subject it to the very same duties you have planned to do and it has been reliable as an anvil and never lacking for power.

View attachment 261106

Last edited:
01 300 cat same motor as a 300 king quad. Got my home made hay rack chained up it will go anywhere and yes it will plow too, 5 speed trans with a 3 speed transfer case

attachment.php

Last edited:
I like my Polaris 850 with power steering. I've owned Polaris for a while now, and have yet to have any belt issues or anything like that. Worst I've had was I had some snow get into the belt housing and cause the belt to slip a little, due to my track kit. Put it in neutral and help like 2k rpms for about a minute to dry things off, and then was fine after that. It does what I need it to, and then some. I am happy with it.

I like my Polaris 850 with power steering. I've owned Polaris for a while now, and have yet to have any belt issues or anything like that. Worst I've had was I had some snow get into the belt housing and cause the belt to slip a little, due to my track kit. Put it in neutral and help like 2k rpms for about a minute to dry things off, and then was fine after that. It does what I need it to, and then some. I am happy with it.

That's looks like it would be fun in drifts!

Kinda shocked at the negative comments about Cat's. I have two Cats a 400TRV and a 650TRV. I love the TRV feature where you have a second seat or pull two pins and you can put on a utility box, or rack. The 650 does my plowing, hauling the saws (w/ the box) and a 4x6 trailer stacked full of wood (stacked in I can get 1/3 cord). Only thing I had to do was have the local fabricator beef up the hitch...accepts a reese style hitch. Going hard since 07 not one issue w/ the belt. Definately not the best for trail riding but as a combination work/play I haven't seen or rode another that I'd prefer. Daughters are older now and they both ride Kymco's, I'm pretty impressed w/ them...made in Taiwan...youngest rides a 90 and the older rides a 250. For the price I've been very pleased w/ Kymco.

That's looks like it would be fun in drifts!

Till you get stuck! Got high centered in snow n water on the side of the ditch and couldn't get out. Tried anchoring off my Tahoe that I had on the road and wenching myself out, but it started to pull the Tahoe in the ditch. Had to have the neighbor kid drive the atv while I put it in 4 wheel drive and pull him out. Let a huge crater in the snow and water. LOL

I have three atv's. A Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4, a Honda Foreman and an Arctic Cat 650 TRV. They are all good. The Yamaha is the oldest and has the snot beat out of it. The Honda is the electric shift and it can be fussy when I need to get it into neutral. The Cat is the work horse of the bunch. It has never given me the least bit of trouble.

I bought this used Bombardier 650 Quest specifically for pulling firewood out of the woods. I have this small cart used mostly for hauling my saw and other tools, the 3/4 ton trailer ( I brought it home on) I pull loaded with firewood, and on occassion, I hook to a tree and pull it out of briars to a more convenient place to cut.

261571d1352495849-fetchin-wood-jpg

261570d1352495843-p1050726-jpg

View attachment 261570View attachment 261571

Last edited:
I have a 2008 Grizzly 700 EPS, and absolutely LOVE the thing! Super reliable, never a single issue with it. Ive pulled several polaris, hondas, and kawasakis out of the woods. Polaris's have issues with belts, they smoke them way too easily. Heck on my last ride i watched a guy smoke his belt on his new 850xp just loading it up onto his trailer in the parkinglot lol. Hondas are good solid machines, but they are behind the times. Lack of difflock definitely is a turn off, ive had to use difflock several times and if i didnt have it, i'd be stuck. Kawis are pretty well rounded machines, alot of power for a good price. Only downfall is the stupid belt sensor which trips and puts the quad into limp mode. If youre looking for something similar to a grizzly, check out suzuki's, theyre really nice, and the KingQuads are pretty similar to the grizzly line. Many say that the EPS on the grizzly is a waste of money, but its pure beauty. It not only makes steering much easier, it acts as a steering stabilizer. Hitting roots, rocks, ruts ect without EPS, the bars are ripped out of your hands or you jam your wrist. The EPS takes the shock out of it and makes it much more manageable. I use the grizzly to haul wood, ive even used it to tow my dad's jeep up a hill because of carb issues (46' CJ2a). Very impressive machine. Heres a few pics.

9607C753.jpg

E1379EA7.jpg

D251EDA4.jpg

311936_2252102794567_1608185038_32291311_279705873_n.jpg

DSC03714.jpg

And heres a few videos i made.

[video=youtube;7jzDPViu0NI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jzDPViu0NI[/video]

Can view my Youtube channel here, have a bunch more videos if interested.

http://www.youtube.com/user/itsme78932

Last edited:
I've had a '99 Polaris Sportsman 500, '03 Sportsman 700, '08 Yamaha 700 Grizzly FI EPS and presently own a '12 Yamaha Rhino 700. The quality of the Yamaha exceeds Polaris. Yamaha's belt drive system is the best. It engages fast and at low rpms. I use or have used all four hauling (4'x5' homemade trailer) or skidding (homemade log arch) my 8 cords of firewood a year and never put a belt on my Griz. Not so with the Sportsmans. Lastly consider the Yamaha Grizzly and Rhino are made in the USA (town near Atlanta, Ga.) Polaris now made in Mexico.

Another point to consider. I bought a sportsman after seeing several SF guys using them in afghanistan. They loved them. Polaris is the supplier of atv's to the army which means they must be made in the USA by an American company.
I think as long as its maintained any good atv will serve you well.

I've had a '99 Polaris Sportsman 500, '03 Sportsman 700, '08 Yamaha 700 Grizzly FI EPS and presently own a '12 Yamaha Rhino 700. The quality of the Yamaha exceeds Polaris. Yamaha's belt drive system is the best. It engages fast and at low rpms. I use or have used all four hauling (4'x5' homemade trailer) or skidding (homemade log arch) my 8 cords of firewood a year and never put a belt on my Griz. Not so with the Sportsmans. Lastly consider the Yamaha Grizzly and Rhino are made in the USA (town near Atlanta, Ga.) Polaris now made in Mexico.

Have you already posted pictures of your Log Arch? I tried a search, but didn't find any from you. I hope to find or make one soon. Any pictures or experienced advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks

No I haven't posted any pictures in the past but I will try to today. As you can see from other posts we all have our favorites. Maintance is very important along with driving style.

Another point to consider. I bought a sportsman after seeing several SF guys using them in afghanistan. They loved them. Polaris is the supplier of atv's to the army which means they must be made in the USA by an American company.
I think as long as its maintained any good atv will serve you well.

Off topic - but the US Military uses lots of non-USA equipment, including vehicles. :msp_sad: Ron

Nice video, is that a helmet cam you used? I notice the snorks did you fab your own or find a kit that works well? My 6yr old daughter watched the vid with me and mentioned that you don't ride too fast...I told her you can't since you were riding a Grizz.

Latest posts

Back