Aus chainsaw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melliodora

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi,
I have a husqvarna 365 which I’m very happy with. I need saw to use with a bigger bar ideally 28inch. All the wood is very hard mainly grey box, yellow box, red box etc.
I’m looking at the 7900 which seems best value but not convinced it will pull and oil a 28inch bar in hard wood. I like the husqvarna but all the bigger ones are made in Brazil and are still super expensive. The 572 seem nice but I don’t know if it’s much of a step up from a 365.
Any input is appreciated or anyone who has run a 7900 in eucalyptus.
Thanks

I run my 7901 on the timbers mentioned around Vic, it rips, but I have never run a larger than 20'' bar, with a 8 pin rim drive it pulls easily. Standard is 7pin.

Is the saw you're looking at an older 7900 or the newer 7910 or whatever it's called now?

The 7900 will pull a 28" well, and yes a lot better than a 365, however it's not going to be a huge knock your socks off difference. I would look at say a Husqvarna 390xp or a larger stihl if you want a big jump in power. I know that doesn't come cheap where you are though.

I have a 7900 with a 20” and 28” bar I’ve run the 28” bar in some pretty hard tallow wood and blue gum. It cut through that with authority. I’ve not cut any box with it. I agree with Andre, I’d step up to a 90cc saw, that way you could also run a 36” bar if required.

thanks for your replies.
I think I’ll track down a 390xp. it’s a pity Makita don’t sell a bigger saw as they are nicely priced compared to Stihl and Husqvarna.
just hard to justify 2,000 when it’s just for firewood. I figure all the big stuff I don’t cut would add up to that over a couple of years

Thanks for that. I called Sydney tools and showed one in stock at Penrith. Called but they didn’t have it. Called a few local places after a 390 or 395 but apparently since covid all saws are selling faster than they can get them. Bloke told me Stihl sold a years worth in 3 months and the factory isn’t keeping up.

Latest posts

Back