Auto oiler for 3120K powerhead

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertjinnes

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for thoughts on an auto oiler for a HUSKY 3120K or other chop saw power heads to be utilized on an alaskan mill. Thinking of utilizing one or more auto oilers from STIHL 009, 011 series of saws. They utilize the crankcase vacuum pulse to operate a diaphram oil pump. Any other thoughts on what would work? Don't want to add a battery and electric pump etc.

The 009/10/11 series saws deliver oil at 6-12 cm3/min (0.37-0.74 cu. in/min) at 7000 r.p.m.
It's output is controlled by the RPM but limited by the amount of flex in diaphragm so I doubt it could for example double it's output when connected to a bigger powerhead.
Lets assume it could reach 18 cm3/min, this would be enough for smaller logs but probably not enough for bigger logs.
I like my Aux oilers to at least be able to match the max oil delivery rate of the power head.
For a 120 cc saw like a 880 that is 38 cm3/min, while the 3120 is 54 cm3/min, much of this is wasted going around the nose which is why a 3120 still benefits from a Aux oiler.

What's wrong with a gravity feed?

On my bigger CSM I have the output valve controlled via a bicycle gear lever/cable. This enables me to switch it on/off and control the flow from nothing up to about 50 cm3/min from the operator position.

Wasn't expecting the pump to increase capacity when pulsed by a larger engine hence the reference to one or more pumps..
Gravity is OK, but just liked the thought of system being more compact. Thanks for the thorough info on cc per rev etc.

Wasn't expecting the pump to increase capacity when pulsed by a larger engine hence the reference to one or more pumps..
Gravity is OK, but just liked the thought of system being more compact. Thanks for the thorough info on cc per rev etc.

My other concern with tapping into the crankcase vacuum (more so with multiple pumps) would be the chances of a leak which could be highly detrimental to the saw.
Find it had to see how anything couple be more compact than a gravity feed. Even if a pump is used, a reservoir, tap and delivery tubing will still be needed.

Latest posts

Back