Autocycle options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiwi splitter

Reaction score
Hi. Wondering if anyone can answer a question about the auto cycle valve.
Since I live on the other side of the world ,it will cost me around $1000 to get a prince autocycle valve here. I can get cheapish single valves with adjustable detents sooooo can you sit 2 single valves together and plumb them as you would an autocycle then turning it into self returning valve? Thoughts please.

That is an interesting thought! Even after looking at the instructions from a Prince auto cycle valve, I still am not sure.

The first valve would need to have a detent on the extend portion, as well as be power beyond capable. When the lever was pulled, this valve would send flow to the cylinder until it reaches max set pressure, and then center to neutral, allowing flow to the power beyond port.
Then the second valve would have to be detent on the retract portion (so you could pull both handles the same direction, like an auto cycle). Looking at the plumbing diagram in the link, one work port of this valve would need to be plugged. Which gets plugged could be all that's needed to change the handle pull direction.

I think I just talked myself into believing it would work.. :ices_rofl:

This all assumes that there isn't anything special inside of an autocycle valve to make it work, aside from what was needed to combine the 2 spools into one body..

I am definitely interested to see what the smarter minds on the forum have to say here!

Ring Tim at Raptor/Steel and Wood LTD in Chch mate.

0274 967 301

Thanks Del but probably need to try for something a bit more reliable. Anyone else add to this

Reliability isn't a question.

It's had way over 100 cords through it with zero problems.

Forward lock and auto return greatly improves efficiency. You put a piece on, turn away to get another, and when you are back at the ram it is clear ready for a second piece. If you have 2 or 3 persons at the splitter auto cycle becomes way less of an improvement.

I am as surprised as anyone that such a simple system works so well.

Ten years ago I was ready to drop the $300. plus for a valve that was auto cycle and tried this out on a whim. I'm sticking with it.

I don't blame others though for taking another route.

Hey Yarz
I was reading a bit more on the Prince site and saw a note that the B port sends oil back to tank when in the neutral position so with a two single valves when the first bank flicks back to neutral the B port would be closed. Correct?

Back