autocycle valve question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddstopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I a planning another wood splitter build that will split on extend and retract of cyl. Basicly putting a round at each end of splitter and getting two splitting actions out of one cycle of the cyl. My question is what can the detent pressure be set up to on the return side of a autocycle valve. I know it has to be adjustable, but havnt seen if that pressure setting can be high enough to use the valve in auto cycle to split when the cyl retracts. I dont want a continuous cycle, just once out and in then operator has to start the cycle over.

Doing some more research,it seems the autocycle valve only have one relief. I am going to assume, until someone tells me different, that the return detent is the same as the pressure for extend. If this is so. I should be able to set system relief high enough to split wood on the return stroke and have more than enough pressure to split on the extend stroke. I'll be using a double pump, high/low hydraulic system and want to set the low at 1500psi, which is more than what a normal two stage pump is adjustable to,which is 400-900psi. Using a 5in cyl, I think most wood will split at the 1500psi setting and will keep flow in the low pressure/high flow most of the time. That would give me 15tons of extend force, and 12tons on retract, and if it takes it, I'll have 29tons of push and 25tons of pull.

The problem with auto cycle is the get the kick out set just right. Sometimes I get mine too tight and it will hold until relief opens.

The problem with auto cycle is the get the kick out set just right. Sometimes I get mine too tight and it will hold until relief opens.

The relief for the return stroke has to be set higher than the relief for the extend stroke, otherwise it'll get to the end of the ram and kick both valves out of detent and stop.

The relief for the return stroke has to be set higher than the relief for the extend stroke, otherwise it'll get to the end of the ram and kick both valves out of detent and stop.
I can only see one relief setting on pictures of the valve. I havent actually ever seen one. If the detent in both directions adjustable seperately, then that would be great. but from just looking at pic, I cant see it. The descriptions of valve doesnt say one way or the other.

I said that and then found this picture that shows the relief valve next to the handles and detent adjustment at the rear of the spools. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...Cycle-Valve-SAE-Ports-3000-PSI-9-6587-SAE.axd.

Now the trick will be to get both spools adjusted so that the valve puts enough pressure on return to split and not kick out.

valve-auto-cycle-01_1.jpg
This is the autocycle valve I had been looking at.

Here is how to have a $100. valve do the work of an over $300. valve. The valve is a double detent 3/4 inch ports all around. The auto return was rigged about 10 years ago. The Briggs is running at 2,200 rpm in the video and has an oil pump and filter. The fiberglass rod is from an old tent.

I can only see one relief setting on pictures of the valve. I havent actually ever seen one. If the detent in both directions adjustable seperately, then that would be great. but from just looking at pic, I cant see it. The descriptions of valve doesnt say one way or the other.

I said that and then found this picture that shows the relief valve next to the handles and detent adjustment at the rear of the spools. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydra...Cycle-Valve-SAE-Ports-3000-PSI-9-6587-SAE.axd.

Now the trick will be to get both spools adjusted so that the valve puts enough pressure on return to split and not kick out.

This is what's on my splitter: https://www.ebay.com/p/Prince-Hydra...5%26rvr_ts%3D034e75b41680ad4bb9b1b636ffcb38c0

You can see that it had a main relief setting to the left of the handles and then each one has its own.

Back