Autofeed on a splitter??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wdchuck

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Someone mentioned this and it got me to thinking if it would be a good option at times.

Anybody have autofeed on a splitter?

Is there a way to put such a setup on a basic splitter?

How does it work, what makes it work?

To put the splitter in an auto-splitting mode. Put piece to be split on cradle, put lever in splitting position, it starts the ram, while that piece is being split, operater can get another piece, or stack what is on the ground.

The Timberwolf i use has that ,its a nice feature. I have the TW5 takes three people to get the most out of that machine. That valve is the key to doing what you have mentioned it locks in position to complete the stroke both ways, actualy there are two valves , one for push, one for pull.

I am surprised they have that on there.With all the lawsuits now days. wait till somebody comes up missing a finger. don't get me wrong. I would put one on my own splitter. putting a detent into forward aint too good for some people.

grandpatractor said:
I am surprised they have that on there.With all the lawsuits now days. wait till somebody comes up missing a finger. don't get me wrong. I would put one on my own splitter. putting a detent into forward aint too good for some people.

Agree. It is a safety concern. I had the auto-center valve on my homebuilt but replaced it with the non-return. Haven't had a problem yet but came close once - almost caught my finger. I won't let anyone but me operate the machine and if I ever sell or trade it, the auto-center valve goes back on.

Harry K

i'm a bit confused with the terms here, to me, autofeed is a system that keeps the engins rpms at a perset level, where the splitter would stop splitting for a second or two and let the engine rpm's come back up, then continue splitting
a detent valve is something different, where the valve locks into position to split without holding it, while you do something else for a few seconds.

imo, the autofeed would be a PITA on a splitter, and how do you live without a detent valve?
-Ralph

I'll Tell You Whats Scary, I Have Seen Folks Post That They Let Their Kids Run The Valve While They Feed A Splitter. To Me Thats Just Stupid. I Did See That Done Here A Few Years Back. Someone Lost A Hand On That Deal. I Don't Remember The Details, The Story Was In The Local Paper. My Rules Are No Kids Around My Saws, Tractor Or Splitter Period.

begleytree said:
a detent valve is something different, where the valve locks into position to split without holding it, while you do something else for a few seconds.
-Ralph

So, maybe that's what I'm asking about. Instead of standing there holding the lever in position so the ram can split, then pushing it into retract. I would like to put the log in the cradle, pull the lever to start the ram, then be able to get another log or stack what has fallen from the previous split log.

The average splitter today has not changed much from what some farmer built with scrap material 40+ years ago.

Companys have worked on making their manufacturing proccess more efficent but have done little to make their product more efficent, unless you buy one of the firewood proccessers.

With a horizontal splitter you have to pick the wood off the ground twice, add a log lift and you move the wood once to the lift than walk around the machine to split than you again pick the splits from the ground. A little eazier but more time consuming.

Efficency means more production with less fatique.

I found two companys that have considered efficency in their base models, they are pricey but for a person considering building their own , combining ideas from both these machines can be made for less than $1500.00 using new materials.

http://www.timberdevil.com/products.html

http://www.superaxe.com.au/superaxe.html

ls.

wdchuck said:
So, maybe that's what I'm asking about. Instead of standing there holding the lever in position so the ram can split, then pushing it into retract. I would like to put the log in the cradle, pull the lever to start the ram, then be able to get another log or stack what has fallen from the previous split log.
You are talking about an autocycle valve which I put on my splitter a couple of years ago.
http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=503880&showprevnext=1

attachment.php

Hello Mr Wilson I Beleive Thats The Valve On My Splitter. Do You Think There Will Be Logging Or Ice Fishing This Year?

Hello Mr. Conran.
I'm sure we'll get our freeze, just not for a while yet. I had hoped to put my new 441 to use this weekend, but it don't look good. I just realized that pic is one I took when I first got the valve and just stuck it on the mounting plate. Here's one after piping.
attachment.php

tawilson said:
You are talking about an autocycle valve which I put on my splitter a couple of years ago.
http://www.cylinderservices.net/catalog.asp?prodid=503880&showprevnext=1

That sure sounds like what I'm thinking about, and it retracts on its own when the cylinder bottoms out.

Now, can you run forward and back manually as well with that valve?

Start, stop, anywhere along the travel capacity, for instance, when there's a bunch of small 12" chunks the cylinder doesn't need to be retracted to home each cycle.?

Looks just like mine , and yes you can control it however you like stop start whatever.

Yeah, there is the auto-cycle (that I wish I had) and 'detent' valves that leave the handle in whatever position you put it (that is what I have). Given a choice for the same price (midnight discount out of the company scrap heap) I would go for the auto-cycle.

Harry K

I love the look idea of that auto cycle valve. My splitter was originally fitted with a arm that travelled with the ram and physicly reversed the lever to cycle the reverse stroke. It worked great, but kept getting tweeked and need maintenance. I replaced it with a double detent valve. Wish I knew about the auto cycle valve.
I'm convenced that a horizontal unit with trays and auto cycle is the best. With my trays I can split a whole pickup truck load of wood without having to clear my work area. the split wood keeps getting pushed out of the way.

Back