Automatic Chain Grinder Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've asked Anab a few questions, because it strikes me that 'automatic' is a misnomer.

What if:

there are multiple left or right cutters in sequence, or gaps like skip tooth, etc? Also, is there some sort of stop that goes on the chain or how does the grinder know when it's done the whole chain?

in other words, how much of an operators time is really freed up with an automatic grinder if they have to check chains and keep an eye on the grinder?

I worked in a shop that bought the grinder under that theory, and the owner didn't like to hear any one suggest that
it took up a bunch of the tech's time. The two cycle techs were also always in hot water for their labor $ numbers,
imagine that........

The Franzen can/does handle the variations that occur in skip chains and irregular sequencing.

Also, every now and again, the machine would freak out and destroy a chain, wheels would sometimes explode,
the owner got mad when I requested a helmet and flack jacket.....

It would be pretty neat if they got them so automatic and foolproof they could be configured like a vending machine, requiring zero labour input except for general matainence.
Customers just swipe their credit card, place their chain on a hook and the machine takes it from that point. A 24/7 u-sharpen service.

And customers could type in how many drivelinks they need and select the pitch, etc and out pops a new chain loop.

Needless to say, the machine couldn't handle .043 gauge and 1/4" pitch.
Also a chain with a lot of damage. I would run it through several cycles, instead of trying to take all of the damage out in one pass, to help keep cutter burning to a minimum.
It was hard to get a lot done when futzing with the machine constantly.

The owner didn't like to hear about it though, he was comfortable with his decision to invest in this machine.

Is that the same shop where Suzie and I came for a visit?
I worked in a shop that bought the grinder under that theory, and the owner didn't like to hear any one suggest that
it took up a bunch of the tech's time. The two cycle techs were also always in hot water for their labor $ numbers,
imagine that........

The Franzen can/does handle the variations that occur in skip chains and irregular sequencing.

Franzen then developed a lawn mower blade grinder, I haven't been to the Expo in several years, so I haven't kept up with him. He was set up with the Stens Company for dist. in the U.S.

Back