Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On my last job I made benches out of 4”x4” 3/8” steel angle. All the techs had no benches to work on. I welded up a vertical Reese hitch into the rock maple bench top welded to the steel frame. I made the 4” angle longer than the bench so the craftsman tool box is mounted on the end of the bench. You can roll the tools and bench to where your working.

Sorry if I missed it in the summary but I couldn't find exactly what chain sequences, pitches, and gauges the grinder will do. If it's not in the summary, perhaps it should be?

Sorry if I missed it in the summary but I couldn't find exactly what chain sequences, pitches, and gauges the grinder will do. If it's not in the summary, perhaps it should be?
This is covered in lots of the early discussion and comments about it's capabilities.

Manufacturer states 1/4" to full-sized 3/8 pitch; up to 0.050" gauge; full comp sequence chain only.

Philbert

Great review Philbert, I was too pleasantly surprised at the simplicity of this grinder from the pics 'under the hood'. Automatic grinder & simplicity are not words I thought would have gone together but the guts look simple & not over engineered. For many this is the first real insight into this new generation of affordable automatics. Thanks to both Gun & yourself for such a contribution.

This is covered in lots of the early discussion and comments about it's capabilities.

Manufacturer states 1/4" to full-sized 3/8 pitch; up to 0.050" gauge; full comp sequence chain only.

Philbert
Thank you. Not worthy of inclusion in any summary?

Not worthy of inclusion in any summary?
Not in my opinion.

Too many pages about what people wanted the machine to do, versus what it was designed to do.

Also hared to describe the nuances of what it does well, and not as well, in just a few words. That summary is my opinion (with no 'redactions'!).

Philbert

Does anyone know when the next and hopefully more versatile, version is due out, or if there will be one?

Admittedly I pushed mine to the side and went back to my other grinder. It deserves more time and effort to dial it in than I have given it. My biggest malfunction has been getting it lined up right so I don't burn the chain. Can't stand it if I see some bluing.

Thanks for your review Philbert!

My biggest malfunction has been getting it lined up right so I don't burn the chain. Can't stand it if I see some bluing.
There is no real way to adjust the pressure applied when grinding (aside from taping weights to the grinding arm?). So it is critical that the wheels be well dressed, as noted above. Use a coarse silicon carbide (Carborundum) stone until all the glaze on the wheels is removed. Then they will work like new again.

Centering the wheel is a separate issue that is covered in the manual. Remove 2 covers and use the center alignment guide. Not too hard.

Philbert

Does anyone know when the next and hopefully more versatile, version is due out, or if there will be one?

Still a work in progress for us. Can't quite tell you when things will wrap up, but do note our engineers are working on it!

Admittedly I pushed mine to the side and went back to my other grinder. It deserves more time and effort to dial it in than I have given it. My biggest malfunction has been getting it lined up right so I don't burn the chain. Can't stand it if I see some bluing.

That's tough to hear our FP1000 isn't being used. I do admit it needs dialing, but just a reminder that you're looking for light passes on it. If you're anywhere near burning the chain, it's likely you're hogging in waaaay too much.

If you're not happy with how it sets up, remember that we have a one year return policy on it. Ideally, I'd like to help you troubleshoot and help you get it dialed down, but there's no way in hell I'm going to let you leave an experience with us unhappy and feeling screwed out of your hard-earned money. Let me know what I can do to make things right.

Still a work in progress for us. Can't quite tell you when things will wrap up, but do note our engineers are working on it!
Fantastic. That is the very first I have read since your product first came to our collective attention, that you guys are actually working on a model to handle more chain types. I was beginning to lose hope.
Hope restored :)

Fantastic. That is the very first I have read since your product first came to our collective attention, that you guys are actually working on a model to handle more chain types. I was beginning to lose hope.
Hope restored :)

Hm, I thought I did write in this thread that we had something cookin, but I perhaps I am mistaken. Either way, glad I was able to restore your hope in us!

Hm, I thought I did write in this thread that we had something cookin, but I perhaps I am mistaken. Either way, glad I was able to restore your hope in us!
Thanks. I haven't read through this thread but glad I asked the question and you guys are on it. If you need a test pilot...

They were added as an accessory. Based on feedback, they decided to offer them in an OEM package.

Philbert
Do we know if the newer, more versatile version is going to stay under $600 when released?

@Gun The Chinese OEM is making these grinders for other brands. Apart from the outstanding service and warranty that TEMco offer, what control, if any, do you have over the manufacture of the current design? It's now being offered in NZ under another brand, which is a typical Chinese OEM outcome when the design is not owned by the US seller or the IP is not enforced.

Further, the lack of .063 gauge and (full/semi/hyper) skip options is a far greater barrier to purchase for some than the price. Apart from making suggestions and hoping the manufacturer updates the product, what control does TEMco have over such upgrades and when might we expect these to flow through to a new version please? Or perhaps it's simply not possible at a worthwhile price but then again if that's the case what price would it need to hit to make it possible? Or perhaps it's just not worth it for TEMco to do all the R&D, generate the IP and then have insufficient control over what the Chinese OEM actually does with the products and who it sells to?

Back