Automatic Chain Sharpener - Under $300

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I note Gun hasn't been on AS since June of last year. So I asked a question about the next model release on Amazon where they were active in answering a question in December. Hope that's not too stalker-ish.

That seems like a great price on the cbn wheels. Is the arbor hole odd sized?

That seems like a great price on the cbn wheels. Is the arbor hole odd sized?
Grinding wheel: >>>3.145" OD, 0.630" ID, 0.14" thick
Depth Gauge wheel: 3.295" OD, 0.630" ID, 0.20" thick
Disclaimer: that's based on my skill with a caliper!
They are definitely a non-standard size (ID and OD) compared to more common chain grinders.
I also do not have the technical knowledge to compare the abrasive qualities with one of the more common CBN wheels.

Based on my evaluation of the unit, the CBN wheels are an important addition, as the OEM supplied wheels were very hard to dress.

Philbert

Any differences though? i thought they were exactly the same model that can't handle skip or .063 gauge, etc
As far as I know, the 4+ (?) versions we have seen vary only in color. If one of the companies makes changes to the specs, i hope that they will let us know.

Philbert

Do we know if Gun lost his job and won't be back in here, or if they realized the game was up and bailed or are busy working on a more capable model and will be back to tell us they've succeeded sometime, or?
Most of us have seen a few of these marketing rodeos before and they seldom stick around for the long haul despite the rhetoric. Hope i'm wrong in this case but not looking like it at the mo.

He is the representative of that company. I hope that he can provide more information on their products.

Philbert
Some questions for @peak-industry :

1. Are they the OEM
  2. Are they making direct sales to individual consumers and is that ex China or USA
  3. Is their current grinder offering the same as all the rest we have seen in here, with the same limitations
  4. Given the age of this version, how close to a newer version that addresses some or all of the aforementioned shortcomings are they
:popcorn2:

I've been kicking around the idea of purchasing the TEMCo sharpener and when I saw Peak Industries has the same one, I sent them an inquiry via e-mail. A nice lady named "Daisy" replied and provided a little information about their sharpener, which appears to be the same as the Sumo and TEMCo, etc.

I asked, "Is Hangzhou Peak Industry Co., Ltd. the only manufacturer of all the varieties of this automatic chainsaw sharpener? I’ve seen this same exact same design sold under at least two other brands (Sumo and TEMCo)."

Her reply, which is a bit cryptic: "Our company and the manufacturer of the Electric Sharpener Machine belong to a group."

I asked about direct sales and Daisy replied that they do not sell direct to consumers, but that she could sell me a unit if I would provide feedback to Hangzhou and socialize the product with colleagues, internet forums, etc. The cost was only $230, but shipping (to the USA) was $100, so it basically ended up the same as the TEMCo unit. I declined her offer.

I provided her some feedback curated from this discussion (needs to support skip tooth and 0.063" chain) and provided a link to this thread.

We'll see what--if anything--happens next. Caution, opinion ahead: I feel like the current version is the only version we'll ever see...maybe we'll get 0.063" support, but that may be it.

I provided her some feedback curated from this discussion (needs to support skip tooth and 0.063" chain) and provided a link to this thread.
We'll see what--if anything--happens next. Caution, opinion ahead: I feel like the current version is the only version we'll ever see...maybe we'll get 0.063" support, but that may be it.

I provided @peak-industry a link to this thread, and some related ones on other forums, back when he joined. I do not have any direct interest in the sale of any of these units, but do in the availability of chain sharpening options for general use. If we, as end users, can help better things become available, we benefit.

If you go back to the first post in this thread, I mention having heard rumors of an 'automatic ' or 'CNC' chain grinder going back several years. Maybe this was it. Maybe there will be others. Maybe some clones or adaptations of the more expensive, commercial units out there. These forums help us identify these things when they become available, and to share them with other chainsaw users and enthusiasts.

Keep your eyes open!

Philbert

Bump!

The budget automatic chainsaw sharpener scene seems to have gone very quiet. The TEMCo machines appear to be out of stock. Has anyone seen any of these machines for sale recently? Is a newer, better, more versatile model still in the pipeline? I would love to have one of these sharpeners to play with, although the cheapest Logosol machine is almost cheap enough to play with too.

Bump!

The budget automatic chainsaw sharpener scene seems to have gone very quiet. The TEMCo machines appear to be out of stock. Has anyone seen any of these machines for sale recently? Is a newer, better, more versatile model still in the pipeline? I would love to have one of these sharpeners to play with, although the cheapest Logosol machine is almost cheap enough to play with too.
The TEMCo is listed as 'out of stock' on eBay, and the TimberTuff version is the same on Amazon, when I checked today. The TimberTuff model is listed as 'available' from Walmart.com, and at one of our local farm stores. If you look through the previous 18 posts in this thread, there are at least 2 other offerings, of what appear to be identical products, under different brand names.

It might still be offered under different brand names in Europe. Let us know if you find one!

Philbert

I don't know if this is accurate: From what I gather, it seems the best use of the TEMCo is for the guy cutting dirty wood with a long bar and swapping chains when one gets dull. He (or she) could set the machine up for one chain and run the whole batch as a set, since they'd all see similar use/wear. Chains that got lightly rocked/nailed would eventually work out, badly nailed might get set aside and run through a few times over a period of days as the set wore down, therefore only taking minimal material per pass.

He/she could hand-file their short-bar chains while the TEMCo ran the long ones, potentially saving a lot of time.

From the sound of it, TEMCo outsourced the manufacturing to China, who then copied the design and said, "Someone copied your design. We'll buy your company for cheap so you at least make some money on your investment." Product development and support stopped, sales dropped off, ... or maybe they're focusing on large-volume distributors?

Rather than just guessing, what's the real story? (It's been a really interesting thread, thank you for all the updates!)

Latest posts

Back