Axe handle question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbroberson21

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2 1/4 pound boys axe and after about 2 months the handle has messed up. Specifically one of the 2!! Round metal wedges they put in broke out and brought part of the handle and wood wedge with it.

I've been trying to find a replacement handle but I haven't had much luck. Of all the places I've looked only 2 of them have had boys axe handles. Unfortunately both of them were made far to small for the eye of my axe. Does anyone know of a specific brand of handle that is known for running big in the eye area that I could order somewhere?

Having mounted numerous ax handles over the years, I wonder if there's any hope of repairing your handle. If the broken piece can be fitted back into place, maybe driven in along with wood glue--Titebond III is good stuff--you might save cost & labor. If that's possible, then after allowing the glue to set well, add a wedge or wedges of any sort to tighten the joint.

I asked a skilled furniture maker once about how well wood glue will hold. He said a properly fitted & glued joint is every bit as strong as original wood. Proper fit, clamp, etc. is critical of course.

I've done cabinet work for years and your furniture guy is right, usually the glue is actually stronger than the wood. The handle was very poorly fitted to begin with, there's a big shelf all the way around it, and the handle already didn't fill the eye front to back but that couldn't really be seen because the two round pieces of steel had pushed it forward. I also don't like the existing handle because the diameter is so large. The head is now loose on what handle remains and again because of those two large metal wedges they used there's really very little room left to put another wedge of any kind on the handle.

The eye measures .725 inches wide at the top and 1.225 long at the top.

Have you tried looking for a handle online?
-whiskey river
-beaver tooth
There's also amazon and ebay, but quality can be harder to predict.

Are you able to get your hands on any good lumber in your area to make your own handle? Time consuming, but rewarding experience.

Back