Axe handle source

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rightwinger82

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking for a good supplier for some axe handles. Local stores have handles but the eyes are tiny. I can't believe they sell handles that won't even fill the eyes on the axes they stock. I have one i need to hang with a 7/8 ×2 1/2 eye. I am totally okay with fitting myself and would perfer to get handles with without the eye cut. Any help is appreciated.

I like Beaver-Tooth Handle Co., but be prepared to wait, they do not ship fast, though very good quality. They'll be a little thick, so be sure to thin it out to your liking.

https://beaver-tooth.com/collections/single-bit-axe-handles?page=2

If was recently turned on to Whiskey River Trading for axe handles. A colleague of mine showed me a few he ordered, not yet hung, and they come nicely grained, slim contoured, with little to modify other than fit the head. I'll be buying from them in the future, very impressed.

https://whiskeyrivertrading.com/col...euyp52dQeQiujAwoiFCF1imLSC1ODSXsaAogwEALw_wcB

Despite others that may say go with House Handle Co., they've disappointed me about at as often as their stuff was satisfactory. They've lost my business.

I just noticed that you mentioned about not having the eye cut, I don't know of any handle manufacturer that does not cut a kerf in their eyes. Never had an issue with a cut kerf, often I'll open it up with sandpaper so I can drive the wedge in deeper and get some good mushrooming of the wood.

House Handle company is all i see in the stores here and they look like garbage and have the tiny eyes. Thanks for the leads. As far as the kerf, i am fine with the cut kerf, i just want enough wood above the shoulder to fill the eye of the head. The end of the handle could be a 2x4 block, i own a draw knife.

Beevertooth has nice handles, nice and thick. Have a few from house most of them look good, but have had a few that were a bit subpar, I believe you have to select the grade you want when ordering.

House handle is the dark one the other one is a Beevertooth.

e0b16b18a2cb0aeeb08ce3971712ba17.jpg

Another “no” for House Handle Co here. Seems they used to be really good but quality control fell off the map a couple of years ago.

Have done business with House Handle with OK results though I am by no means an expert. It did frost my shorts to have to pay extra to get one "selected", and who knows what that really means (do they really pick a better one for you, or just take more of your money), and then you pay even more for an unlacquered handle.
Glad to know these other sources

Back