Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and put a really good chamfer on the bottom of the handle before you hit it with a hammer. It should stop you splitting a chunk off.

Learning is part of the fun. Although it does smart when something goes wrong!

Talking of making your own blanks, I might have a go with some of the Oak I picked up Friday as there are several lengths of large diameter limb wood which may be straight and knot free. I may have a go at free hand chainsaw milling a couple of rough blanks and set them aside to dry. Oak isn't great as handle material.... We normally have ash, and sometimes beech, but might try. Now am I right in thinking if I go small with the blank its more likely to warp as it dries but go big and it's more likely to crack? Oh well, worst case I make some firewood.

thats why I stick with the 4 in 1 rasp, the larger single versions remove too much too fast for me, a sheet of 80 grit sandpaper is helpful, a chopping block and concrete pad to fit the head is also useful as well as a 2lb brass hammer. I also like to recut the kerf a little wider so i can fit the head tighter and still wedge it easily.

I appreciate the input gents. I agree @LondonNeil, while it sucks that I messed up, I did learn a lot today. And, who's to say I don't find a head for that stick later down the road.

@cookies I appreciate the insight. I'm hoping to get this next handle fit better. It looks like a much closer fit right off, so I'm thinking this time it'll go smoother. The handle is Hickory, and is quite nice looking. I'm torn on whether or not to burn it a little as well, before oiling. We shall see, I think it looks nice enough as is that just some oil will do it well.

The wedges they provide a poplar I believe. I might stain it first, to give it a bit of color transition. That, or I'll order some cherry or walnut wedges (or some other darker colored wood). If I can get a bandsaw and belt sander, I think I'll start making my own wedges and maybe handles from trees here on my property. I'm sure I have a decent ash or two back there still that have some decent wood I can get sawn for blanks.

Anyhow, thanks again everyone. I hope y'all have a great night!

@Philbert‘s post about wedge maintenance made me think of another tool that needs maintenance, the wedge-whacker. In my case, my favorite whacker is a Collins construction axe on a 26? Inch home made big-leaf maple haft. It came to me with what appeared to be an original 26ish inch haft that rotted and broke while I was using it. I whipped up a new haft out of a maple blank and stained it with rusty vinegar (a leftover from de-rusting other tools). Recently I had to re-seat it which is why it has the white patches. Anyways, when I took it out a few days ago I noticed the edge was wrecked. This afternoon I remembered that and brought it down for a tune up. I cleaned up the edge and removed most of the chips, and also filed off some poll mushrooming from the p.o.
413AB4D3-5982-452C-9FA7-82093F5E12EC.jpeg19A23E5F-3927-45C6-8EF5-AF36E4F219E0.jpeg07BB0EF7-D85A-4EEA-8237-41FCF1B38DAC.jpeg76E3CA19-5E06-4D9F-B6F8-4679B413C75A.jpegA98DBC25-C924-4005-AF4A-CB15FDB6EFFC.jpeg75FB50F1-060F-4EA4-B741-3AF6E857AB41.jpeg00C9F308-5459-4EF5-A200-48377FC81697.jpeg3F05ED14-2400-4101-824C-4D39D4632369.jpeg6A990CA0-2385-4334-BFA1-9AACFE202B97.jpeg4A30ACA4-9DE4-4D23-A92D-65FBF8704A4F.jpeg

@Philbert‘s post about wedge maintenance made me think of another tool that needs maintenance, the wedge-whacker. In my case, my favorite whacker is a Collins construction axe on a 26? Inch home made big-leaf maple haft. It came to me with what appeared to be an original 26ish inch haft that rotted and broke while I was using it. I whipped up a new haft out of a maple blank and stained it with rusty vinegar (a leftover from de-rusting other tools). Recently I had to re-seat it which is why it has the white patches. Anyways, when I took it out a few days ago I noticed the edge was wrecked. This afternoon I remembered that and brought it down for a tune up. I cleaned up the edge and removed most of the chips, and also filed off some poll mushrooming from the p.o.
View attachment 874072View attachment 874073View attachment 874077View attachment 874074View attachment 874076View attachment 874079View attachment 874081View attachment 874083View attachment 874086View attachment 874088

Looks good brother, I agree the rusty vinegar did great

@Woodslasher, I watched that Forest Service series last night. Wow, some amazing info there. Thanks for the recommendation. Seeing that makes me feel like I can actually do this. LOL.

Hoping to order some handles tomorrow, then get to hanging once they arrive. I also called my FIL who loves in SE Ohio (aka Amish country), and he's going to check with some of his Amish friends.

I need to get some decent files ordered also.

Iv always been afraid to order handles. I guess ill look int this.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Last winter I spent quite a few nights tinkering on axes listening to bluegrass and country. It was fun and the axes got used as well.

I didn't buy one handle and I broke a lot of the "rules" but I learned what worked and what didn't, for me at least. Use whatever wood and tools you have, if you're interested in it you'll come up with something. I still have a walnut handle on one, it's certainly not the best choice and I knew it wouldn't be, but it didn't randomly explode either.

I had it and I like how it looks.

would it be tabu to cut the adez side off a pulaski axe to use it for splitting/chopping ? It's a mint condition true temper i assume made in the 50's with clear stamp marks. Kinda figured I should ask before not after lopping it off.

Attachments

• IMG_1328[1].JPG
    IMG_1328[1].JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1329[1].JPG
    IMG_1329[1].JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
Would it be taboo to cut the adze side off a pulaski axe to use it for splitting/chopping ? It's a mint condition True Temper that I assume was made in the 50's with clear stamp marks. Kinda figured I should ask before not after lopping it off.
Yes, it would be. If you need a single bit axe that badly, gimme a few days to get home and I’ll see if I have a spare one I could send you.

Well, I finally did it! I successfully hung an axe, and it turned out decent! Will get pics tomorrow, ran out of light. Looking for feedback from you all, and maybe some tips on steering the bit.

While the head looks to be sitting good on the handle, the bit isn't lined up with the handle perfectly square. I tried removing some material from the backside of the opposite side to kind of steer it where I wanted it, which helped a little but not enough. Overall I'm still very satisfied, and it splits great!!

I ruined the included poplar wedge, so I had to make one from some english walnut I have (I made blanks for knife/gun scales years back), and it actually tuned out good considering all I have are some hand tools.

Stay tuned ;)

would it be tabu to cut the adez side off a pulaski axe to use it for splitting/chopping ? It's a mint condition true temper i assume made in the 50's with clear stamp marks. Kinda figured I should ask before not after lopping it off.
I wouldn’t hesitate to cut a true temper. But it looks like you’ve got an offer for a free head to preserve that one.

look down the length of the handle toward the bit for twist, we are our own worst critic :crazy: I honestly bought that axe head to cut the adez off but its in such perfect shape I find myself unable to do it. It came from the daughter of a deceased forester who was clearing out his horde of axe heads, she had 3 of these all brand new...it still has the factory edge, the marks are from my vice. I would be grateful for a old useable bit, old heads are by far the best steel

look down the length of the handle toward the bit for twist, we are our own worst critic :crazy: I honestly bought that axe head to cut the adze off but its in such perfect shape I find myself unable to do it. It came from the daughter of a deceased forester who was clearing out his horde of axe heads, she had 3 of these all brand new...it still has the factory edge, the marks are from my vice. I would be grateful for a old useable bit, old heads are by far the best steel.
I’ll go through my 5 gallon buckets of heads and my 55 gallon drum of hafted axes and see if I can’t come up with a nice vintage one. I had about 80 edged tools, + or - 5, and now I’m down to 50-60 and whittling it down every chance I get. After narrowly avoiding a similar scenario, I’ve decided to minimize and it’s easier to get rid of something if someone “needs” it.

looks good enough to use to me!, I like to trim the handle closer to the head then put wood glue around the base and across the top to help seal it from moisture. Time to work on that edge and put it to work for you. Anyone else like a lightly rough sanded handle with a little pine tar or even sap lightly applied for extra grip?

Looks good to me muad. I see nothing wrong with that!
Hows the fit around the base of the eye? And the spread of the top of the handle?

Thanks!!

I think it's decent, with minimal gaps. The spread/mushroom effect at the top was good, however I sanded it so it doesn't look as mushroomed as it was when I trimmed/sanded it.

I need to sand the handle some more, and then apply more BLO.

@cookies I left the grip at the bottom more rough for a better grip. I want the shaft to be as smooth as possible though, which could use a little more work.

After doing this, I need some more tools and I'm thinking of using blanks from now on to better fit the heads. This handle was better than the last, but still not perfect. The kerf was cut way too deep, etc.

4470D446-237E-4B44-86E9-88F8A84F2136.jpeg0BB13D72-E827-48D9-8A6C-4AADF9577D2B.jpeg007BBA8D-19E0-4135-9D40-80B38968106B.jpeg49AF19CF-9529-46F8-8E5B-0536A760142B.jpeg

Back