Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks excellent! I'd be proud of that now and I've done half a dozen now

Thanks for the kudos. Makes me feel good, and proud of the job I did. Still a long ways to go, but I have a few I want to hang. Next up is a True Temper single bit with the phantom bevels.

As promised. My first hang. Critique away please!

Not the best pics, but it's what I could do quick before the wife yelled that pancakes were ready ;)

View attachment 875946View attachment 875947View attachment 875949View attachment 875950View attachment 875951
Looks nice! I don't see anything wrong with the . If it were mine I'd try making the area below the poll look a little more concave like the haft shown below (not my work, fyi). All in all, I'd say that's an awesome first hang!

[IMG]

Good evening-

Yesterday I picked up a 3.5 pound Plumb single bit at an antiques store for $10.00. Had a lot of rust so I soaked it in a vinegar bath for 20 hours. The rust is mostly gone and it still retains some patina. Was wondering if anyone could provide any thoughts on its age and pattern. It looks like a Michigan pattern, but I’m not sure.

This is my first full restoration attempt so any comments on the axe head’s condition would also be appreciated. Should I hit it again with a wire brush, more time in the vinegar bath? I don’t have a wire wheel or bench grinder, so this will be hand tools only. Any thoughts would help.

JohnIMG_3223.jpgIMG_3224.jpg

Good evening-

Yesterday I picked up a 3.5 pound Plumb single bit at an antiques store for $10.00. Had a lot of rust so I soaked it in a vinegar bath for 20 hours. The rust is mostly gone and it still retains some patina. Was wondering if anyone could provide any thoughts on its age and pattern. It looks like a Michigan pattern, but I’m not sure.

This is my first full restoration attempt so any comments on the axe head’s condition would also be appreciated. Should I hit it again with a wire brush, more time in the vinegar bath? I don’t have a wire wheel or bench grinder, so this will be hand tools only. Any thoughts would help.

JohnView attachment 876058View attachment 876059
I’d just get started hanging it. It’s got character and once you hang it and get after that cutting edge, it will look real nice.

Thanks!!

I think it's decent, with minimal gaps. The spread/mushroom effect at the top was good, however I sanded it so it doesn't look as mushroomed as it was when I trimmed/sanded it.

I need to sand the handle some more, and then apply more BLO.

@cookies I left the grip at the bottom more rough for a better grip. I want the shaft to be as smooth as possible though, which could use a little more work.

After doing this, I need some more tools and I'm thinking of using blanks from now on to better fit the heads. This handle was better than the last, but still not perfect. The kerf was cut way too deep, etc.

View attachment 875970View attachment 875971View attachment 875973View attachment 875974
Looks good

Thanks for the response. I was worried that it was too corroded. Turns out what I thought was rust was actually patina. I’ve got to find a haft, which could be a challenge here in Massachusetts. Any suggestions on haft length? Oh, what pattern do you think this is?

would it be tabu to cut the adez side off a pulaski axe to use it for splitting/chopping ? It's a mint condition true temper i assume made in the 50's with clear stamp marks. Kinda figured I should ask before not after lopping it off.

would it be tabu to cut the adez side off a pulaski axe to use it for splitting/chopping ? It's a mint condition true temper i assume made in the 50's with clear stamp marks. Kinda figured I should ask before not after lopping it off.

ac786d77a404b87c2af66cb2e450d18f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. I was worried that it was too corroded. Turns out what I thought was rust was actually patina. I’ve got to find a haft, which could be a challenge here in Massachusetts. Any suggestions on haft length? Oh, what pattern do you think this is?
How large of a head is that? I like 28-32" handles myself.

I see an axe listed locally with “Bell Systems” stamped in it. Would this be from Bell telephone for linemen?

Edit: Did some more looking and yes this is the case.
Yeah that would be Bell telephone. I have several Bell system tools. Stick rule Dykes and a pair of needle nose pliers. That axe is quite a find.

Well, I finally did it! I successfully hung an axe, and it turned out decent! Will get pics tomorrow, ran out of light. Looking for feedback from you all, and maybe some tips on steering the bit.

While the head looks to be sitting good on the handle, the bit isn't lined up with the handle perfectly square. I tried removing some material from the backside of the opposite side to kind of steer it where I wanted it, which helped a little but not enough. Overall I'm still very satisfied, and it splits great!!

I ruined the included poplar wedge, so I had to make one from some english walnut I have (I made blanks for knife/gun scales years back), and it actually tuned out good considering all I have are some hand tools.

Stay tuned ;)

AWSOME!!

The one thing i have learned that is super important (obviously there are lots of important things to do right) is making the wood wedge the proper length and thickness so it drives down far enough and still provides good pressure at the top.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back