Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That wa
Wow, I haven't done this much axe-sleuthing since I was actively collecting axes 2-3 ago! On the axe forum I went by A17, the letter-number combo that was on the Kelly Woodslasher double bit I got as my first axe. It also gave me my username for this site. As for @rarefish383 's comment about the proud hafts, I leave mine slightly proud (usually less than 1/4 inch) since my axes are stored out in a shed and will get wet, so I have to occasionally whack the wedges in deeper or replace them. Plus, that is how I was taught to do it. If anyone wants to read more about proud hafts, check out the thread linked to below, it has the guy who wrote the Axe Book for the Forest Service and a bunch of experienced axe users (and me) discussing the merits of the different ways.
https://bladeforums.com/threads/6lb-axe-riveting-discussion-on-proud-hafts.1642837/
That's a nice article, I just skimmed it for now, but Curt Hal resolved my issue. He calls his axes, "refurbished", so it doesn't matter if it's historically correct.

Here's my chair, it's not original anymore, but I like it alot.
I like that chair a lot, too. In fact, when you originally posted it, I was inspired to look for one. Just missed a ratty looking one - perfect for refinishing, maybe not as much for restoration. But since its just for me, i don't care if it's historically accurate. I just want it to look good and be functional.

It's a Marble's Chair Company, Bedford Ohio. I think I read that Marble's went to all office chairs in the 30's. My mom worked for FDA in an 18 story, 4 wing building. I rescued mine from the land fill not far from her building. I wouldn't be surprised if they took thousands of them to the land fill when they went to new desks and chairs. I'd love to find another for myself.

Nice to see @H-Ranch posting.
@DSW did you do your cordwood challenge this year? Probably finished up on January 2nd and I just don't remember. Been trying to keep up and learn something about axes and other stuff on the site from the guys with the big brains.

Was another crazy year (I mean outside of covid) and doesn't look like it's letting up this year so far. I haven't used an ax for more than 50 swings in the last year but I did try my hand at black walnut syrup making. You have any walnut there? I recall our woods are similar you said.

I've got some pictures of the Waren axe. I will try to post them.

1617102329194.png1617102374500.png1617102452298.png1617102500001.png
1617102550363.png1617102609812.png
1617102726087.png
It says "Warren" and "4" on the one side, and has USA above that, stamped both right side up and upside down. It also seems to have USA on the other side and on the top and bottom as well. The poll has been beat on a little.

When I first found it, as I did not look closely, I thought it was a no-name Michigan (?) pattern; that seems to be the most commonly seen.
It is not too beat up and the haft was already removed.

I took a minute and looked at the double I got last weekend. It's in much better shape than I thought. Most of the black finish is still on the head. There are no chips on the edge, the profile is perfect. Then I looked at the eye, it is filled with a red sealer. The Plumb Permabond hammers and hatchets had black heads, red handles, and red sealer in the eye. The handle is wrapped up a good foot with black electricians tape, maybe if I get lucky, there will be something under there. Hoping I can prove it's a Plumb. I have a Plumb Double Rack now.
RmQtwUv.jpg

VxR9uHK.jpg

For curious minds, if I decide to refurb this one as a chopper, I'll just stick the nicest Hickory handle I can find in it. if I restore it, I'll take the old handle out from the bottom, try to work the red sealer plug out in one piece, clean it up nice and shiny. Rehang the head, and epoxy the red plug back in. Unless, someone knows the proper sealer to use, that would make life easy. Then, I need to find what the black paint on the head is. It's not blueing, but, it's much more resistant than most paints, plus it's much thinner than most paints. Did they have powder coating back then?

It's also more brittle than other paint finishes I believe.
Instead of asking about coatings we know it's not, maybe I should have asked if anyone knows what it IS. I was going to take it down stairs and rub it down with some penatrating oil, I think most of the original finish is still there. But, somehow, I misplaced the ax.

@DSW did you do your cordwood challenge this year? Probably finished up on January 2nd and I just don't remember. Been trying to keep up and learn something about axes and other stuff on the site from the guys with the big brains.

Was another crazy year (I mean outside of covid) and doesn't look like it's letting up this year so far. I haven't used an ax for more than 50 swings in the last year but I did try my hand at black walnut syrup making. You have any walnut there? I recall our woods are similar you said.

I did 2019 and 2020. I haven't done one for 2021 and I probably wont. I have been using an axe and a hatchet but not to the extent of the challenge. Camping, carving, I've split a little.

Hopefully everything's on the up and up personally. Sounds like the Covid madness might be coming to an end eventually. Nice! We have Walnut around here but none on my property. I know very little about syrup making, people tapping Maple is about the extent of my knowledge.

I keep in touch with multifaceted periodically, he’s really busy at work. I think he said he got promoted to production manager and has little time for much else. I’ve got to ask if he’s getting any brewing in?

I keep in touch with multifaceted periodically, he’s really busy at work. I think he said he got promoted to production manager and has little time for much else. I’ve got to ask if he’s getting any brewing in?
I still need to get out there and check out that brewery near your house. And owe you a growler or two for those saws. Unfortunately I don’t see east coast travel in my short term plans.

That's OK, they went out of business. But, there is another one half a mile up the road, and I think the food is better. On special the have Kangaroo Tacos, and they are GOOOOOD!

Back