Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do oak, or cherry make a worthwhile handle? I've never heard of cherry being used but it's dense stuff. Oak I have heard of as axe handles, just not as common as hickory, ash or beech (in order of quality). Asking as I have some straight bits of both that look relatively knot free and long enough. It's limb wood if that makes a difference. Is it worth me free hand milling a couple of handle blanks, or do I just turn it into firewood and buy some Ash?

Random question. Do any of you apply BLO to the “tongue” of the handle before fitting axe head? I’ve been using BLO on the wedge and inside the kerf, but have been leaving the tongue untreated.

Do oak, or cherry make a worthwhile handle? I've never heard of cherry being used but it's dense stuff. Oak I have heard of as axe handles, just not as common as hickory, ash or beech (in order of quality). Asking as I have some straight bits of both that look relatively knot free and long enough. It's limb wood if that makes a difference. Is it worth me free hand milling a couple of handle blanks, or do I just turn it into firewood and buy some Ash?
I would use either and not give it a second thought.

Especially if it's on hand.

Just picked up this unmarked FS axe for $25.00. Had to do a little work on the profile, but I think it’s in ok shape now. Does anyone have an opinion on who might have manufactured this axe? It’s 6 5/8” x 4 1/2”. Probably 3 1/2 lbs.

1BD417AB-071A-4D7F-B9BE-18D3959EE9EA.jpegA5FF8787-E183-461F-9BD5-F1DAD1D65626.jpeg1BD417AB-071A-4D7F-B9BE-18D3959EE9EA.jpeg1BD417AB-071A-4D7F-B9BE-18D3959EE9EA.jpeg4F1F7E0D-6AA2-4046-94B9-2758BFEDD590.jpeg365CB25A-71E5-4D82-B511-BCA089564CE5.jpeg3E0F4913-2ACE-447E-89DD-C889249E35E2.jpeg

Just picked up this unmarked FS axe for $25.00. Had to do a little work on the profile, but I think it’s in ok shape now. Does anyone have an opinion on who might have manufactured this axe? It’s 6 5/8” x 4 1/2”. Probably 3 1/2 lbs.

Almost reminds me of a keen litter that I have with the indentation in the middle of the axe.
91435C7B-A87B-42C2-8553-6E1ABB58A7D4.jpegA5A55052-B8B1-46E8-836E-EAA5336A8F7F.jpeg

I have no idea what mine is. It’s pretty pitted, but it’s clearly stamped FS. Mine looks kind of primitive compared to the other FS axes I’ve found.

I guess the maker will remain a mystery. Lol. What would you say best describes the pattern of this axe…Connecticut?

I heard once that Oak is not a good handle material and I forget why? It might have been that it's too stiff, so no whipping action in the swing? I just don't remember?

OT: I was over on Arbtalk. I posted a bunch of Bird pics a few months ago and was checking out what every one over there is seeing in the spring. I remember having trouble posting my first pic there, but got it fixed, can't remember what I did? Clicking and dragging isn't working? Imgur just posts the link and I don't think it would open over there? You have any suggestions. I'll keep working on it. I just remembered that my first post was of a saw, I'll see if I can find that. I think some one may have told me how to do it. But, if you know what I'm doing wrong, feel free to tell me.

Got these from a neighbor who is moving away. The little cruiser will be nice for carrying in the truck. The larger one on the left needs a new handle but a nice score IMO.
View attachment 906395
I like that smaller one, is it small enough to be a cruiser? I might be looking for another Plumb double. I'm starting to get my yard cart and saw display ready for the county fair. I have a Plumb display rack for 4 doubles. I'd like to get 4 different sizes if I can. I have the sweet cruiser that Clarence hung for me.
qWAe3zZ.jpg

I heard once that Oak is not a good handle material and I forget why? It might have been that it's too stiff, so no whipping action in the swing? I just don't remember?

OT: I was over on Arbtalk. I posted a bunch of Bird pics a few months ago and was checking out what every one over there is seeing in the spring. I remember having trouble posting my first pic there, but got it fixed, can't remember what I did? Clicking and dragging isn't working? Imgur just posts the link and I don't think it would open over there? You have any suggestions. I'll keep working on it. I just remembered that my first post was of a saw, I'll see if I can find that. I think some one may have told me how to do it. But, if you know what I'm doing wrong, feel free to tell me.
Yeah I can't imagine oak being good for a handle.

Arbtalk, hit reply, then 'click to add file' and select what you want

I like that smaller one, is it small enough to be a cruiser? I might be looking for another Plumb double. I'm starting to get my yard cart and saw display ready for the county fair. I have a Plumb display rack for 4 doubles. I'd like to get 4 different sizes if I can. I have the sweet cruiser that Clarence hung for me.
qWAe3zZ.jpg
What's the bar on the far right for? A neighbor has a bar with the same cutout in the end and I'm wondering what it came off of.

What's the bar on the far right for? A neighbor has a bar with the same cutout in the end and I'm wondering what it came off of.
I had to look, I've got so much stuff every where. That's a 36" Homelite hard nose. The cut out is for a helper handle. My Dad bought that saw brand new in 1973, and the bar is still like new as far as using it. I still used that saw and bar to mill with, until I bought a 660 to take over milling. I was afraid of blowing up the Homelite. My Dad bought another 36" in the 80's and it didn't have the helper handle. It had a little square hole and a round hole. I just found out what they were for. It had a tip guard on it. Cracked me up to have a tip guard on a 36" bar.

This is the Super 1050 that the 36" bar above came on. The bar on it is a 45". It was still running great when I put it on the shelf. The last time I tried to start it, it ran on a prime, but didn't draw from the tank. maybe I'll try again tomorrow?

Back