• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

Axe restoration thread

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Factory error. Used to get big money for base ball cards with factory errors. Then they started to spit out error cards faster than they could print them.

Heading up to the farm in a couple hours. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a couple of nice doubles, Joe.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well Doug on Forged in Fire, would say my Fiskars "Will Cut". I was splitting up a big Oak on the hill in my back yard. I was spitting one round, then throwing the splits on the trailer. I set the Fiskars down and started tossing splits in. I felt a little "bump" on my ankle, looked down, and the ax was stuck in my ankle. Little cut about an inch long. Looked like a surgeon sliced it open. I was wearing my crocks and a pair of short running socks, the ax slid down the hill and stopped at my foot.. I went out to finish up today and put on heavy socks and my hiking boots. You can yell at me now, but at 96 degrees, I'm still not putting on the chaps, Joe.

BusyBeaver

BusyBeaver

ArboristSite Lurker
I am putting a handle into a Kelly jersey style axehead that was abused as a wedge. The eye is buckled and swollen. What is the best way to fill the eye with the handle? Wooden wedge? Metal wedge? Epoxy, Bondo, linseed oil?
I've seen pictures of perfectly filled eyes (several posts back) and would love to make mine that good. Should I soak the handle in linseed oil before installation or after installation?
I did find an oversize handle with plenty of meat.
Thanks,
BB

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
I think if I wanted to try something like that for the first time, I'd get a role of the tape welders use to isolate heat. Looks like asbestos. Wrap the cutting edge about half way up, take a torch and heat it up cherry red around the hole and tap it back in shape. But, I don't know what I'm doing and if that would ruin any heat treating. That's just what I would try, Joe.

olyman

olyman

Tree Freak
I am putting a handle into a Kelly jersey style axehead that was abused as a wedge. The eye is buckled and swollen. What is the best way to fill the eye with the handle? Wooden wedge? Metal wedge? Epoxy, Bondo, linseed oil?
I've seen pictures of perfectly filled eyes (several posts back) and would love to make mine that good. Should I soak the handle in linseed oil before installation or after installation?
I did find an oversize handle with plenty of meat.
Thanks,
BB
do what joe and dancan said,, heat up..and pound back into place. heating both sides,,and alternately pound on the sides.... it aint like your going to use it for taking down trees.......:D:D

svk

A little bit of everything
Need to put a handle on this Bell System B hatchet head. The edge is dulled from the factory. Not sure if I should sharpen it? Got it as my late FIL worked for AT&T and started as a lineman sometime in the 1950's. View attachment 593676
Looks great. Those are sharpened in a different manner/angle so may want to get tips from someone in the know.

rarefish383

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
Cool hatchet. What's the square lug for? I was trying to remember if the screw in steps on the poles were square on the end? My Uncle worked for AT&T for 40 years, I think he did installations, Joe.

Marine5068

Marine5068

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
naturalsculptures.webs.com
Need to put a handle on this Bell System B hatchet head. The edge is dulled from the factory. Not sure if I should sharpen it? Got it as my late FIL worked for AT&T and started as a lineman sometime in the 1950's. View attachment 593676
I was thinking that too. The square climbing pegs and the nuts on through bolts would be able to be tightened with the square hole in the hatchet.

Mad Professor

Mad Professor

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hello Everyone.

I need some new working single bit axes. I keep my eye out at tag sales and farm auctions.

What I need a a couple of LARGE traditional single bit splitting heads, and a smaller one for driving wedges while felling trees. They DO NOT have to be pretty, but good steel and restorable. Nothing thrown in the fireplace to clean the remnants of the handle. Just some good American or European steel.

PM me if you have some.

Thanks, MP