Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm fascinated with all the antique tools, especially axes, knives, saws, and Kant hooks. Mine doesn't say true temper. But I do have a double bit that says "temp-r-ite" that I know nothing about. The guys on here are VERY knowledgeable and taking in as much as I can as often as I can.
I used to say "I hang out with the old guys, cause they know lots of stuff." Now I'm the old guy, and I have to hang out with the young guys, cause they still know more than me.

I used to say "I hang out with the old guys, cause they know lots of stuff." Now I'm the old guy, and I have to hang out with the young guys, cause they still know more than me.
I'm right in the middle. I feel old but still really appreciate the knowledge of the "old timers" that have the hands on experience. Most the people I know that are younger than I am come to me for advice and help...dear god I must be older than I thought

cIvg3LT.jpg

moyxsNw.jpg

My new to me Hults Bruk cruiser :)

I been volunteer setting up axe throw competition for past 5 years and each year the competitors will break about 2 axe handles.
It be ok i was at my work shop but im not and have to make shift repairs with what ever i got on hand.. So honing down a handle with chain saw and saw file or scrounging old handles and fitting in wedges eg screws nails anything that will hold & work has become the normal day & last week much the same again.. Im wondering if plastic compound handles be better absorb the hit not split..

had some odd ball axes this year a small hatched double & another that looked interesting but actually was useless as to light and would butterfly about with throw and not penetrate wood if scored a hit.

thumbnail_WP_20180215_017.jpg

Yours looks like it is sharpened on both sides of the blade. Mine is only sharpened on one side. It's flat on the other side for hewing logs square.
It is edged on both sides, that's how I received it. It's not even the proper honing for an axe. The angle it has follows the circumference of edge, creating a lip.

It is edged on both sides, that's how I received it. It's not even the proper honing for an axe. The angle it has follows the circumference of edge, creating a lip.
After looking at the two axes,they are different. Having the big square poll and lugs on the top and bottom makes them look similar. Yours has a curved blade sharpened on both sides. Mine has a straight blade with single bevel. I read somewhere that some hewing axes were made so the head could be flipped over for right and left handed use, with the single bevel that makes sense. That might be why it has lugs on the top and bottom. With the ones that are hung on offset handles that really makes sense.

After looking at the two axes,they are different. Having the big square poll and lugs on the top and bottom makes them look similar. Yours has a curved blade sharpened on both sides. Mine has a straight blade with single bevel. I read somewhere that some hewing axes were made so the head could be flipped over for right and left handed use, with the single bevel that makes sense. That might be why it has lugs on the top and bottom. With the ones that are hung on offset handles that really makes sense.[/

This is a great thread I really enjoy looking through all the pictures. Thanks to all who've posted.

I found this old head on the farm, it was about to go into a scrap pile a few years ago but I grabbed it up and just got done putting a handle on it. I can't find any markings on the head.

Reading through this thread a few days ago I thought geez I have some broken axes sitting around at my splitting area, I oughta take a look. Damn if there wasn't this TT Kelly Works Red Warrior sitting there, I'd broke the handle on it last year. Didn't take any before pics but I put it to my wire wheel and got the rust off then put a light coat of WD40, can't wait to get a handle on it.

This is a great thread I really enjoy looking through all the pictures. Thanks to all who've posted.

I found this old head on the farm, it was about to go into a scrap pile a few years ago but I grabbed it up and just got done putting a handle on it. I can't find any markings on the head.

Reading through this thread a few days ago I thought geez I have some broken axes sitting around at my splitting area, I oughta take a look. Damn if there wasn't this TT Kelly Works Red Warrior sitting there, I'd broke the handle on it last year. Didn't take any before pics but I put it to my wire wheel and got the rust off then put a light coat of WD40, can't wait to get a handle on it.

Well look at that...I been lookin for a jersey for ever an you just pull one outa the wood pile. Lucky dog you. We're gonna need pics when your done buddy. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was using them for weights to hold the tin roof on my firewood guess I just didn't know any better. There was one said "India" on it, then another that has a cracked eye. But that jersey came to me from my neighbor, he'd seen me splitting wood one day and brought that axe over to help me, good strong guy too my buddy. Anyway, he left the axe with me said he had a bunch of them he never uses so here ya go. I will post some pictures when I get that handle fitted.

I was using them for weights to hold the tin roof on my firewood guess I just didn't know any better. There was one said "India" on it, then another that has a cracked eye. But that jersey came to me from my neighbor, he'd seen me splitting wood one day and brought that axe over to help me, good strong guy too my buddy. Anyway, he left the axe with me said he had a bunch of them he never uses so here ya go. I will post some pictures when I get that handle fitted.
Looks great! As a suggestion you may want to get after the poll of that first one with a file or grinder to remove the mushrooming to avoid the risk of it chipping off while in use

I started following "Sullivan Axe Works" on Facebook today. They specialize in fireman's axes but they do a really good job and do have a few regular axes on their page as well.

Thanks svk and I hadn't thought of doing that. I'll take your advice and grind it off before use.
I've had pieces fly off my mushroomed wedges that sounded just like a ricocheted bullet.

Rummaged around one of the old barns today and found this "TT Kelly Works Perfect" axe head. It's a little rough, has a chip or 2 and some mushrooming on the bottom of the poll (somehow), but I'm hoping it'll clean up ok. Never had an axe with cheeks before and it feels lighter than my others, are they more fragile?
Sorry the picture didn't come out the best.

Latest posts

Back