Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You need to reevaluate your priorities, man... (kidding)

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Trying to fill the freezer with another one of these bad boys...
915d3bd87f94be5387bf17e15eda1852.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Nice Plumb! Looks like a Connecticut pattern. About how much does it weigh?

Edit: I see the phantom bevels now. Also, it appears to be more of a felling axe (doesn't mean that you can't split with it).

I was guessing because of the weight it might have been a splitting axe. But I really don't know to much about them and definitely appreciate the info... Thanks

I was guessing because of the weight it might have been a splitting axe. But I really don't know to much about them and definitely appreciate the info... Thanks

While you could be right, typically splitting axes tend to have convex or wedge shaped bits, similar to a maul but weigh less; though I could also be wrong there as well. The weight and shape of the head says Connecticut to me. Definitely a badass axe, and a Plumb to boot. Would love to have that beast on my rack.
I haven't run across too many Plumbs up here but here's some info
http://yesteryearstools.com/Yesteryears Tools/Plumb Co..html
Same here, that sure is a dandy find, though.

Look up the "Maine wedge" or that Aroostock ax article in (I believe) from a 1920's boys scouts manual , they describe a perfect ax with a wedge shape.
I think skilcult makes mention of it in one of his YouTube vids.
He's got some pretty good stuff on his channel (no affiliation) .

You repeatedly find Wetterlings for $5? Jeez. I guess Nova Scotia is better hunting ground for such things than London, but blimey that's some going! Handle looks great btw.

No kidding.

My local Craigslist is awful but luckily we do have some old time shops and flea markets where you can come across some nice 'cordless' tools. Nothing to that extent though.

You repeatedly find Wetterlings for $5? Jeez. I guess Nova Scotia is better hunting ground for such things than London, but blimey that's some going! Handle looks great btw.

Here's some of the finds

3yva5SmyHkZGARJM2ta4BOgrq1HSqJLaNkCzSooOUxjSHj8JATuAdk7ylpSQx7byTTGJa1p6nvBSoEpHOxKWstrzr0h7nyHewVi5bbkLoRz7Q8VMmH3Hehf1aKFmTbXK18qDbHxdY1y9iu66OLP1NGkQEblE9E7V3ANa89KP-D3OU31Y-6uLPgX26gmgp9oZ1HGCPnq8c9Zu6RxtSz390R79I-5WbUiLKPnp1X9bnKeUyziWiegC10NNJ1WZiVhJvVcHxuGZr_zV-1p9uGi36TTAXB6_KbIQK5R-jSiTqPKwRHy7VoZMfV8MHhJsta7Kt9DK3k0JXR7Z7MihWPBl-de0_1zFHbK5J9ag9zIZ4GsvwVv_XKfCnsp6It6_Fv40wf1KsJ0ByjoRDURt6a-ohQAjWEjfHbFUOVXT7si_Kfqd6u8eCy19_Bt0VosC-xohV-ltbku5fh-kRd_IzMtoMc7nng9r3BUVXA105p7OX4NMzH-D2X-0rkUBBiNP0DlUAwFmyFpw1HKqZVu5QmT-zpc1a7LlXTCAs8n10K0HHHWtlnpG4ZrfQ_2xG4LYEnJ2WB9fxTBQsp5sUeuRBeqi8bHHG13DdFzECJ_0vF5ZzCayHu7X5xDsa_Amta8wUgB2W8P_jyg6ychPtK-4WhXoT12n-s5NSJJoNOMjY_NIUN9bjPI=w1328-h938-no

There's at least 10 Swedes in that pic , I have more lol

Someday I'll gather up all of them and take a group photo lol
I only have 5 axes/mauls that I paid retail, the other 25 to 35 are deals/trades and restos with the price from 5$ to 10$ , the handles usually cost me the most .
I've also given away a dozen or so .
The month of September is usually the best yardsale month up here .

While you could be right, typically splitting axes tend to have convex or wedge shaped bits, similar to a maul but weigh less; though I could also be wrong there as well. The weight and shape of the head says Connecticut to me. Definitely a badass axe, and a Plumb to boot. Would love to have that beast on my rack.Same here, that sure is a dandy find, though.

We're about you located at man. I'm in sc pa as well [emoji38]
Here's a couple of mine
34c90e6a846e62c2a364b37f39af1888.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Picked up a Chopper 1 mechanical axe

chopper1axe.com

and a neat looking splitting axe. Also a hatchet that is offset, flat on right side and taperss on left. i think for shingling with old cedar shakes. "True Temper Flint Edge" stamped on it. Got that in vinegar and looking for a handle yo give to my brother. Old handle is split from bottom of handle and missing the top 1/3. Would have pics but photobucket sucks more now.

Great uncle moving sale....

I've played a bit with electrolysis but no ammonia .
I've been lucky , most of mine turn out fairly clean after I do any file/grinder work to clean up any of the burrs and damage from abuse , by the time I get them rehandled and coated with blo/tung oil or what ever I'm gonna use the heads will have most of it's original patina with minimal shine from the touchups .
I don't particularly like a shiny axehead and didn't like the finish look from the derusting process .

That chopper 1 is an interesting tool for sure. Do the wings still work on yours?

One side is a little sticky but still moves. Other side moves free. Needs a little cleaning/lube but not bad overall condition. Uncle said he didn't like it or use it much. I think on small diameter straight wood it split ok.

We're about you located at man. I'm in sc pa as well [emoji38]
Here's a couple of mine
34c90e6a846e62c2a364b37f39af1888.jpg

Just south of Fairfield, Adams Co. Nice work, duder - got a soft spot for Hudson Bay axes? They're a personal favorite of mine. I've got a lead in Sweden for a sweet old Gransfors or Hults Bruk hoping to get a hold of soon.

Just south of Fairfield, Adams Co. Nice work, duder - got a soft spot for Hudson Bay axes? They're a personal favorite of mine. I've got a lead in Sweden for a sweet old Gransfors or Hults Bruk hoping to get a hold of soon.
The one up from the bottom is a GB with a homemade locust handle i made for her

Latest posts

Back