Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got in, froze my butt off. Got three more today, two are a little rough, $4 for all three. I also bought a DeWalt 12" mitre saw/chop saw, for $75. When I went to pay up the girl said total $38. I said something was wrong, I paid a lot more for the Mitre saw. She said they clearly put $25 on the ticket, so that's all she could charge me. Feel like I ripped the seller off, but with several auctioneers going, six hours after it sold, there was no way to go back and figure out it the ticket was right or not. Hate to make a gain at someone else's loss. Bad Karma, Joe.
gGG9LBd.jpg

Here will be my next project that I'm doing for a friend. I hope he's not in a hurry [emoji38]
495df6741729e5bb4973a6fb474c8dd4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Nice! What wood are you using for the haft?

Woo whoo, inbound! I finally picked up a nice Elwell 2 3/4 lb axe on ebay. Paid a bit more than i'd have liked but the head looks almost immaculate, handle looks good and is described as good, so as long as there are no hidden flaws that come to light when it arrives then I don't mind. I paid just a pound or so less than I could have got a new hultafors hy10 1200g chopping axe for, but the Elwell will be as good or better. Although the head shouldn't need any work I think it will still class as a restoration...sort of... fairly sure from the photos that the head is loose so I'll be reseating it on the handle. We shall see what its like when it arrives but I suspect I'll be carefully removing the old wedge (might plunge cut it out with the multitool, anybody tried that? I think it might be easier and do less damage to the handle kerf), tidy the handle and drop the head down just a quarter or half an inch then rewedge it. I'll stick an extra coat of BLO on the handle too. Hope the weather warms up, I put a maintenance coat of BLO on my pickaroon last week and its still wet to touch now.

What, no pictures? Congrats on your score - I knew you'd find one, mate!

Broke the bank on these fellas. Auctioneer said high bid gets choice, and can take as many items he wants at that price. There were rakes, brooms, cant hooks, post hole diggers. The first guy went to $10 and took a post hole digger. Next round got to $9 and that guy said he'd take 4 items, I was so mad I could spit. Then he took two old leaf rakes and two push brooms. A couple more rounds got to $9 dollars and I was sure someone was gonna get at least one or two axes. Next round I had to bid all the way up to $3 dollars, and took all four axes. The one on the left is a Paper Label Collins, with Collins stamped in the steel too. The one on the right says Forged Steel, but I haven't found a makers name or mark yet. The two in the middle are no name, Joe.
fcwEBrJ.jpg

Definitely some quality finds, they ought to clean up well.

This is a close up of one of the ones from yesterday. With the rounded lugs and the steep drop of the heel, I think this looks more like a Rockaway than a Jersey? What do you think, Joe.
K8xBiLk.jpg

Rockaway is a Jersey, just a variant of the pattern. Rockaway is in NJ. Though, I'd still call this a typical Jersey even if the lugs are round and not pointed. Rockaway have more of an acute angle from the lugs to the heel of the bit. Here is what a typical Rockaway looks like:

MofXnXu.jpg

Recently scored this USA made Craftsmen 3.5 lb Double Bit Michigan. It was hung pretty well, but the haft was split near the seat of the head, so I had to take it off. What a PITA to remove, only wood wedges too. Exceptionally hung, such a shame the handle was toast. There was a considerable amount of rust, here it is all cleaned up. Still undecided on the finish, will probably brighten it up with the die grinder and do a forced patina.

t3yMP3j.jpg

Rockaway is a Jersey, just a variant of the pattern. Rockaway is in NJ. Though, I'd still call this a typical Jersey even if the lugs are round and not pointed. Rockaway have more of an acute angle from the lugs to the heel of the bit. Here is what a typical Rockaway looks like:

MofXnXu.jpg
The heel on mine has more drop than my others, but nothing like yours. Yours looks like the picture on my Kelly Pattern chart, Joe.

The heel on mine has more drop than my others, but nothing like yours. Yours looks like the picture on my Kelly Pattern chart, Joe.

I dunno, the bit is too wide and poll too large to be a Rockaway variant to me... six to one, half dozen to another...

Have you weighed yours?
No, that one is still hung , but I have a 4 pounder and it feels lighter than the 4.

A little bumbed out. The one above, on the right, in the pic with the Orange head, is a Mann, Lewistown PA and the other side says True American. It's been ground back pretty hard and the poll is pretty smashed.

I like that Craftsman, I'll see if I can find the chart with the logos and see if we can date it, Joe.

Nice! What wood are you using for the haft?

What, no pictures? Congrats on your score - I knew you'd find one, mate!

Definitely some quality finds, they ought to clean up well.
Since it's his boyhood axe and probably won't get used I chose a piece of red oak

Off topic (that happens here often, right?), but... First time in a long time today I brewed some beer. Double batches, 5 gallons of Hoppy Saison and 10 gallons of Munich Helles Lager. 15 gallons total. Not really wood cutting, but I did have a fire going in the fire pit and wood stove, and did a little axe restoration in between...

ky1HDjA.jpg

wZTIxmv.jpg

My cousin got this little hatchet for me for a buck. I thought it was kind of cute so I paid up. The tack hammer is just for scale. I missed out on two True Temper Scout Hatchets with scabbards. I was hoping to get them for about $10. I bid to $27.50, and the next guy got them for $30, Joe.
3dOzv1p.jpg

Would any of you close fellows be interested in a charity wood cutting event on Saturday it's up near State College it's with chainsaws of course[emoji38]

Latest posts

Back