Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Saturday? I commited to picking up a tractor for my neighbor, ratz. Mowing season should be kicking in any day now, so I'll be busy for a few weeks with mulching and all the other pre grass cutting stuff, Joe.

This followed me home today
050c56ab36a274d6d44c55ee24a1d367.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Removed 5 stumps yesterday and it really did a number on my Council FSS Pulaski, the head started coming loose... Had to pound the head back on and drive the stupid plastic wedge in several times just to finish the job. Decided to remove the head and do a proper hanging myself.

Dropped the head down another 1/4" by taking a rasp to the shoulders, then used a hardwood wedge I made from oak, then another softwood spacer wedge because the piece I had was just shy of the width I needed. Here you can see the puney plastic wedge, it is only about 1/4" wide...

xaM8w79.jpg

Drove in the wood wedge in far and jammed it in there then secured with metal stepped wedges.

9A7MnIs.jpg

@rarefish383 @dancan
I had an unexpected delivery yesterday. What's this? i thought as i took the box. Feels heavy. Look at the packaging...international....description says 'Old axe head' ??? I tore it open to find this beauty and am dumbstruck by the wonderful act of kindness by someone I've never met!!

IMG_20180418_113725.jpg

A True Temper Jersey weighing in at 3lb 10Oz. Its AWESOME, and Joe is even more AWESOME!! thank you very much indeed! Seems Dan was complicit, passing on my address. what a wonderful surprise!

I'm trying to decide ow to restore it, I'm thinking a 32" hickory handle. My source of really quality hafts is showing out of stock on straight ones at that length so that may have made the curved/straight choice for me. the head has been beaten on the poll which is a bit flared, i don't want to remove the True Temper marking so I wont remove all the flare but will tidy it as much as I can. Given that it will therefore always look used I won't over do the resto...quite like the beaten look I think....so although i briefly considered painting it again I think I'll just do the mild poll tidy, tidy a couple of other very small dings, sharpen it and get it hung.....i think!

@rarefish383 @dancan
I had an unexpected delivery yesterday. What's this? i thought as i took the box. Feels heavy. Look at the packaging...international....description says 'Old axe head' ??? I tore it open to find this beauty and am dumbstruck by the wonderful act of kindness by someone I've never met!!

View attachment 647169

A True Temper Jersey weighing in at 3lb 10Oz. Its AWESOME, and Joe is even more AWESOME!! thank you very much indeed! Seems Dan was complicit, passing on my address. what a wonderful surprise!

I'm trying to decide ow to restore it, I'm thinking a 32" hickory handle. My source of really quality hafts is showing out of stock on straight ones at that length so that may have made the curved/straight choice for me. the head has been beaten on the poll which is a bit flared, i don't want to remove the True Temper marking so I wont remove all the flare but will tidy it as much as I can. Given that it will therefore always look used I won't over do the resto...quite like the beaten look I think....so although i briefly considered painting it again I think I'll just do the mild poll tidy, tidy a couple of other very small dings, sharpen it and get it hung.....i think!
That's freaking awesome man. Is it done yet ? We're gonna need pics ASAP [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

@rarefish383 @dancan

View attachment 647169

Awesome!

Glad you like it, I'd go curved also. Dan, I'm glad you talked me into the axe, I had the Homelite Super 1050 all boxed up. But I can see now he'd be all worried about what bar to put on it.

And about that old Redlight 066 , I'm pretty sure the conundrum over the bar and chain dilemma could have possibly been a stroke issue so that ax call was polly the best choice of all .
Maybe next time ...

@rarefish383 @dancan

View attachment 647169

Nice, and what a guy Joe is! That ought to clean up nice, been grinded on a bit (that means it was used) but still looks serviceable. If a straight shaft is all you can get, I don't think it'll be an issue for chopping. My Kelly Perfect 3.5# Jersey with cheek bevels is hung on a 36" straight shaft and I love it.

Spent half hour or more with the file and the TrueTemper. Tidied 2 or 3 minor dinks, took the worst of the mushrooming off, well....the sharp edges that were forming, and got a half decent edge back. If the makers mark wasn't at the poll I'd take more off (and on the grinder, it is fairly well deformed!) but I don't want to lose the mark so this is where I'm stopping on the poll. Quite pleased with the cutting edge, that came back quite quickly. If you look closely on the before photo it has several major dings/chips but they mostly came out. The toe and heel both have a bit of remaining damage though...think i'll leave it....getting them out would require a lot of material to be removed. The edge will get a final tickle once the head is hung, but its not far off.

IMG_20180419_170625.jpg IMG_20180419_170706.jpg IMG_20180419_170749.jpg

i forgot to say, i also started hanging the head @dancan sent me. slow i know...very slow! in my defence i want to try etching/blacking it with oak chips since i like how my maul and fiskars has blackened as ive split oak a lot recently, i just need to do some bucking and gather the chips. anyway....just found this though from buckin'

that is it! Mrs Buckin's hatchet is it! notice how much epoxy? and no kerf/wedge? takealook at about 4:15 how bad the fit is front and back (he comments on it later) thats because the eye constricts and expands. that is why i spent a while filing the eye straight. my fit wont need extra bits of wood like Buckin's,ha ha!

Latest posts

Back