Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 653221 Anyone know what this is called? I've checked the internet but can't find it. The paint reminds me of a hults bruk
Pickaroon, hookaroon, sappie. All names for the same tool ..... Along with 'most excellent and essential back saving wooder's tool'

I got all of these at an auction for five dollars. There was a 3lb and an 8lb sledge head also but somebody gave me five dollars for them. So after the auctioneer 10% premium I paid 50 cents. I'm happy with it. Now I need to buy a dozen or so handles and get some garage time.

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
I've decided I may start wearing rubber gloves when applying BLO. Two or three days after I used it, I'll rub my eye, scratch my ear, and get a wiff of dead fish, or something similar. I was just playing with two axes I recently coated and they still smell. It's not bad at first, but when it won't go away, yuck.

I forgot to update, sorry!

So the oak chip stew turned black and the axe heads very black, but once dry the black powder just brushed off...boo. never mind

IMG_20180605_222423.jpg

still nice.
IMG_20180605_222404.jpg pretty tightfit with the wedge expanding the handle very well. just a wee gap at the back, tight round the bottom all round

IMG_20180605_222344.jpg nice and straight

IMG_20180605_222308.jpg yeah! nice expansion. don't think that is going to come loose....I'm rather smugly pleased! been a bit of work with filing out the eye but, it feels and looks nice. Obs I'll cut the edge off and stick one or 2 metal wedges across the head. can't decide...grind the sticky out bit round like buckin' does or leave as is....hmmm

need to get the Jersey hung too. Some how the red paint on that goes 1/4" down inside the eye and i'll take that out...its thick, it would stop the handle. makes me think ....has that paint been put on by a previous owner (after the handle had slipped a bit)? I have no idea how True Temper axes were finished originally

This is a small pick/mattock set on a DBA handle that I had just re-wedged. It was very old, 60’s vintage at the very latest from my grandpa’s house. My son was cleaning off the beach and heard a crack. I told him it was nothing and then he walks over to me with this. He thought I would be mad that he broke it lol. I told him it was about time. ;)

65614EE9-EB4A-45CA-A73C-F634F3E43B37.jpeg
46A82C06-DDA0-406A-9CCB-634880FBD0B5.jpeg
He did a nice job busting the rust off the newer full size pick mattock #2. I oiled it before putting it away to keep it “purdy”.
5AD34204-45EA-499A-BF30-B57E6516D6D7.jpeg

3163BBCE-B2E1-4F3E-8630-69976296075F.jpeg

Hard at work. Definitely the hardest those teenage muscles have ever worked. He felt it the next day lol
542C7C52-F074-4F8C-8F95-D256D03D2159.jpeg

Here’s mattock #3. The handle was pretty beaten up and wasn’t going to hold with a slip fit without a little help.
7EBFF9E5-726C-4A9C-9942-30D13C5F6787.jpeg

I rip sawed the end down about three inches and put in a wooden wedge then slipped the head over and tapped it on a hard surface. Its on there good now and after two days of my boys digging roots it hasn’t moved.
AB6CD977-7D0A-4DA1-ABBC-CE29ED26B33B.jpeg

Here’s that 12 pound sledge that I did in the Ospho a few weeks ago. House handle isn’t perfect but it should last a few decades as a backup backup tool. The grain is good though.

View attachment 656373
That thing would last me the rest of my life, cause I'd set it in a corner, and never touch it again. The only thing worse than that is one of those big orange Monster Mauls with the pipe handle.

I don’t use a big sledge of 10+ lbs very often but they are very handy when needed.

Busting concrete, freeing frozen logs, driving a splitting wedge (I usually use a ~8 pounder for that). Can’t think of much else a other than they can crush cans with just gravity if needed.

Latest posts

Back