Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just pulled this out of the Ospho. This is a sledge that I picked up somewhere over the years so I’m not the one who provided the original abuse. After removing the mushroomed sides of the head the face still is full of cracks. Besides taking off a full 3/16th of each face is there any remedy for this?

5D21779D-09BD-43AC-A943-7CBA0A317BB6.jpeg E1931C12-8C0C-4309-B846-CCEE07D547D1.jpeg

Sadly , it looks like a paperweight to me .
I had a customer drop me off an ax as a gift today :)
It's an older Garant because the handle rounded , I'll put up a pic when I get a chance .
When he gave it to me the first thing I thot was "Geez , that would make a nice small but heavy enough to pound wedges with ax ."
When I looked it up I saw that they call it a "Chainsaw ax" lol

http://www.garant.com/tools/s/garde...chets/1-75-lb-chain-saw-axe-with-safety-grip/

Just pulled this out of the Ospho. This is a sledge that I picked up somewhere over the years so I’m not the one who provided the original abuse. After removing the mushroomed sides of the head the face still is full of cracks. Besides taking off a full 3/16th of each face is there any remedy for this?

View attachment 656719 View attachment 656720
Holy cow! Scrapman, $10 per 100!

View attachment 656719 View attachment 656720
That would be really cool to bring back to life....unfortunately it looks like you'd have to wear riot gear ppe when using that. Kevlar and a full face plexiglass shield while swinging a 10#?

I used it to pound spikes underwater while repairing my dock. No chance of flying splinters there lol.

I guess it still works for demo work. And if the handle breaks it won’t be replaced.
I can see it for the dock work. Under water it might almost feel like a zero gravity thing, and if you wind up grinding a couple pounds off? Who knows, you might not get a hernia?

My cousin picked up a Kelly Wood Slasher for me. He said it has a hole about 2/3 of the way back on the blade. I might get a chance to pick it up tomorrow morning before I leave to go fishing. If I can I'll get a pic up. I did find a price sheet and it listed the Wood Slasher as Kelly's economy grade ax, at $6.25 in 1913. Their top of the line ax was $10. This one is old enough that the writing is stamped in the steel, not a paper label.

Went axe shopping today. Picked up a 3 1/2 pound no name Jersey for $3, two more no names for $15, some little chopping tool for a buck, and a boys axe my cousin got for me for 3 or 4 bucks. Two I got just because they had nice handles in them with good grain patterns. They might be dry rotted and shear off with the first swing, but for now they look nice.
KxDN7rt.jpg

Went axe shopping today. Picked up a 3 1/2 pound no name Jersey for $3, two more no names for $15, some little chopping tool for a buck, and a boys axe my cousin got for me for 3 or 4 bucks. Two I got just because they had nice handles in them with good grain patterns. They might be dry rotted and shear off with the first swing, but for now they look nice.
KxDN7rt.jpg
That's not some little chopping tool - that's a Swedish brush axe. Excellent for trail maintenance. Sharp, thin blade with some mass behind it so it goes through branches in one swing.

Yup , awesome brush ax , some were made by Sandvik and some by Wetterlings , I'd guess Sandvik for that one but I might be wrong .
I can get replacement blades and handles for those .
You do not sharpen the blade on those , only file the bevel just short of sharp .
Great score !!

That's not some little chopping tool - that's a Swedish brush axe. Excellent for trail maintenance. Sharp, thin blade with some mass behind it so it goes through branches in one swing.
Thanks, I knew it was a brush axe, but I couldn't remember if it was Swedish or Norwegian. The chopping tool thing was an inside joke with my cousin. He was at the sale before me and called and said there was a cool little "chopper" there with a nice handle. He thought I'd want to pull the handle and put it on a throwing axe. When I saw it I told him it was a brush axe and was cool just the way it was. Since the handle is held on with a scew, it will be a quick, easy, clean up. I'll hit it with the 4 in hand to knock the grey off, gentley, and then clean it up with a little sand paper, then BLO. Oh, and the blade is in really nice shape, not a chip or ding on it.

Back