Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleaned off the epoxy dribbles and removed the masking tape this morning. Once I cleaned up the mess it looks great.

The epoxy kit came with a piece of flexible putty to wrap around the base of the head to prevent weeping from the uncured epoxy. Unfortunately I didn’t see the putty until I had already put masking tape around the base and figured it wouldn’t leak but was wrong.

Thank you again @Philbert. I’ll be sure to report on the durability of this handle.

CBB65AE7-F2DE-4BF0-9BFC-F84F660F22F0.jpeg 83207646-0545-4F43-AB99-60C0B1E59CAA.jpeg 337180AB-5FC8-4817-A604-A32D9BF24FB9.jpeg

Hafted the Sandvik on a 20" Smegburg hickory today .

4D9tvsq.jpg

ylOuFgr.jpg

4xvnkZm.jpg

JVCCrbK.jpg

I agree with Steve, you've given us someting to aim at there Dan! good work.

I just won a nice 4lb Kent pattern W. Gilpin on ebay for £13 posted. So that's another good english maker ticked, and another head shape. Kents have ears, so I'm guessing the hang will be tricky, but I'll work carefully. I might put it on a shorter straight haft, as a fellers axe maybe, not sure yet.

forgot to say,loaned the 6lb wetterlings to my brother as he is axeless currently (still hasn't got around to rehafting his splitting axe...he's as busy elsewhere as me it seems!). He has been a serial haft breaker, so this'll test out the somewhat damaged haft. i think i will order a new smedberg.

so smedberg/burg, its an international brand? i had no idea.

Could you come to my place and make something to hold about 20 ? [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I'm still working on that. It depends on how much space you want to use? I can mill a piece of Fir up to 22' long. If you look in the center of the pic there is one brass "pull" by itself. I bought all the "pulls" Ace had. I plan on putting a "pull" between each double and one on each end, then hanging an ax blade down on a leather choker. That will get 9 on that board.

I don't post pictures often enough (anywhere) to remember how to do it, but a couple of weeks ago I picked up two axes at a yard sale. One is a Plumb in a pattern I don't know that I have ever seen before. From looking at "An axe to grind", I think it looks like a "rafting" pattern, with the chamfered corners on the poll. The other is a double bit with no name that I could find. They also had another Plumb in a common pattern, Michigan I think it is. I left that one. New handles on the two Plumbs. Grain was crosswise on the Michigan, good on the one I took. Handle on the double may be original to it, painted red, cracked with old tape on it and epoxied to the head.

Back