Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't post pictures often enough (anywhere) to remember how to do it, but a couple of weeks ago I picked up two axes at a yard sale. One is a Plumb in a pattern I don't know that I have ever seen before. From looking at "An axe to grind", I think it looks like a "rafting" pattern, with the chamfered corners on the poll. The other is a double bit with no name that I could find. They also had another Plumb in a common pattern, Michigan I think it is. I left that one. New handles on the two Plumbs. Grain was crosswise on the Michigan, good on the one I took. Handle on the double may be original to it, painted red, cracked with old tape on it and epoxied to the head.

I'd love to see the rafting axe. The chamfered corners along the poll sounds right. Does it also have a waffle pattern on the poll as well, like a framing hammer? Rafting axes were made with hardened polls for hammering ties on timber rafts in the old logging days. A very specialized axe, and something that I've been on the hunt for in my collection.

Trying to figure out how to hang four axes, this is what I came up with.
TZGR6ZD.jpg

That looks bada$$, Joe!

Just put a new handle on this hatchet Sunday afternoon.....if anyone knows what style it is, please let me know. Particularly proud of this one because I made the handle from some chunks of walnut my neighbor gave me. If anyone can give me a good guess on what species walnut, I would appreciate it....I know it's not black walnut and it has a quilted grain that can be seen in the last 2 pics.
20180722_130012.jpg 20180722_131846.jpg 20180722_165511.jpg 20180722_184951.jpg 20180724_190852.jpg 20180722_195123.jpg 20180724_193809.jpg

Just put a new handle on this hatchet Sunday afternoon.....if anyone knows what style it is, please let me know. Particularly proud of this one because I made the handle from some chunks of walnut my neighbor gave me. If anyone can give me a good guess on what species walnut, I would appreciate it....I know it's not black walnut and it has a quilted grain that can be seen in the last 2 pics.
View attachment 664997 View attachment 664998 View attachment 664999 View attachment 665000 View attachment 665001 View attachment 665002 View attachment 665003

Veru nicely done! Not sure walnut is the best type of wood for a striking tool, but it's better than none or a dry rotted, loose fitting one. To me, it appears to be a double bevel hewing hatchet. They're used to hew round logs into flat timber. Not 100% certain, but that's my educated guess. :)

My buddy gave me the double bit and hatchet. I stopped by to show him my work and he gave me these 5 pieces. I'm thinking of turning the head with a very rounded bit, into a Hudson style. The hatchet is in excellent condition, it says Collins on the head. The head with partial handle will be fun as well as the bush axe. The smushed one....I may make a display piece out of it.
20180724_194204.jpg

You're right about walnut not being the best. But I did realize that this is not a splitting tool and more of a sharp/precision tool.....figured walnut would be ok.

If ash or hickory is harder than walnut, I'm not sure I want to make a handle out of them lol....this walnut was like a rock.

Veru nicely done! Not sure walnut is the best type of wood for a striking tool, but it's better than none or a dry rotted, loose fitting one. To me, it appears to be a double bevel hewing hatchet. They're used to hew round logs into flat timber. Not 100% certain, but that's my educated guess. :)

Figured it out.

You're right about walnut not being the best. But I did realize that this is not a splitting tool and more of a sharp/precision tool.....figured walnut would be ok.

If ash or hickory is harder than walnut, I'm not sure I want to make a handle out of them lol....this walnut was like a rock.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you plan to use it very hard. It's not so much the hardness as it is the elasticity of woods like hickory or ash that make them well suited for striking tool handles. Oak is also very hard, but a poor choice for handles because it had little elasticity and will eventually split or crack upon impact.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you plan to use it very hard. It's not so much the hardness as it is the elasticity of woods like hickory or ash that make them well suited for striking tool handles. Oak is also very hard, but a poor choice for handles because it had little elasticity and will eventually split or crack upon impact.
That's what I need to know. Thanks!

That's what I need to know. Thanks!
I made an Ash handle for my little Plumb throwing ax. I actually picked a piece of nice grained firewood and squared it up on my table saw. Then I shaped the whole thing with a 4 in hand rasp. It removed wood pretty darn fast. The slab I use for a target is a highly valuable Black Walnut crotch
YZaaJ2t.jpg

Mgc0e0B.jpg

v3KVits.jpg

088ge3q.jpg

Gosh, this summer has been insanely busy, hardly any time for anything, and what spare time I do have is consumed with work around the house and property. Here's some upcoming axe projects I've been planning...

An Old Timer double bit from @svk that needs some considerable re-profiling. One side is mostly done:
8ZlbptG.jpg

01SfiLB.jpg

mEFbHWj.jpg

The other a little 3lb Kelly that I am going to modify into a 2.25-2.5 lb bushcraft axe for a longtime friend of mine:
urYidSL.jpg

H3J6jdD.jpg

opucA5S.jpg

Here's some upcoming axe projects I've been planning...
An Old Timer double bit from @svk that needs some considerable re-profiling.
The other a little 3lb Kelly that I am going to modify into a 2.25-2.5 lb bushcraft axe for a longtime friend of mine:
Damn!

I was happy just having an axe that was sharp and did not have a loose handle. You guys are trouble.

I've started keeping an eye out at garage sales now . . .

Philbert

Back