Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interested to hear how you'll go about reducing the weight of the 3lb axe by so much, and to see the result.

A lot of grinding, quenching, and filing. Let me reiterate and say — I hope to get it to 2.25-2.5 lb in the process of reshaping it. A considerable amount will be removed from the heel as well as the poll, where some of the weight is concentrated.

Damn!

I was happy just having an axe that was sharp and did not have a loose handle. You guys are trouble.

I've started keeping an eye out at garage sales now . . .

Philbert

I kind of just fell into it, and now look at me....

A lot of grinding, quenching, and filing. Let me reiterate and say — I hope to get it to 2.25-2.5 lb in the process of reshaping it. A considerable amount will be removed from the heel as well as the poll, where some of the weight is concentrated.

I kind of just fell into it, and now look at me....
Know what you mean. I had 4-5 that had been in our barn forever. Then Mom and Dad moved so I brought them home, and stuck them in a corner. Then I met you guys, and now I have over 20. I think I counted 10 Jersey's yesterday when I was trying to consolidate them.

I quit smoking about 18 years ago , I figure my "ax habit" is still way cheaper than smoking lol
I try not to spend more than 10$ on a head but aim for 5$ , the handles usually cost me more than the heads but I've gotten picky on handles so I've got like maybe 10 heads waiting .
I'm at around 40+ axes over the years with maybe 10 that were new purchases .
Joe might win on the Jersey's but I'll win on the Swedes lol

What can I do about the small gap in the front of the eye? It’s tight and works great right now but I’m worried it’ll work itself loose.

I've been collecting axes and hatchets for a few years and now I have over 50. I wish there was a local get-together so I could show them off and maybe sell a few. I also have 5 aluminum skull buckets I'd like to sell. Don't ask for pictures because I just can't wrap my head around how you do it.

I just did it recently and it wasn't so bad.

I took the pictures on my phone and emailed them to myself. Then I downloaded them to my computer and after an attempt or several, managed to open them in a form that I could copy and paste into the reply I was working on.

At least I think that's how it went.

Your mileage ( and memory ) may vary. Mine certainly does sometimes.

Abbott295

Ya Abbott, If I had someone to literally walk me through the process about a dozen times, showing which buttons to push (not telling me but actually showing which ones) I could probably learn how to do it. Then if I did it every day to refresh my memory I would be OK.

I don't have a smart phone but I am able to get the pictures from my camera onto the computer but from there I am lost.

I am a retired dozer operator and I fought being given a new D6R dozer with GPS, saying I'm too old to learn how to run it; but I stuck with it and boy was that nice! So I'm not too old to learn, I just need the right teacher.

you have to love the occasional poorly listed ebay item for that 'will i get a bargain' excitement

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-Vintag...50a9c4448b1b6efffc8174|iid:1&autorefresh=true

seller doesn't know what he has. One Plumb Victory, good condition, about a 4lb head I think, one S.A.Wetterlings about 2 1/2 lb head and a small unknown head. Seller doesn't know the faint SAW marking and just described the 'Sweden' marking and didn't do that in the listing title .... the wetterlings....I'd expect to see go for £40, maybe more if properly listed. the Plumb not many people in the UK will know of so unless 2 knowledgeable people bid it could go low...and bigger heads seem less popular. I'm currently the high bidder but don't really need them as I have the True Temper Jersey from Joe (still needs hanging!) and a nice 2 3/4 lb Elwell. If I get a bargain, great, but also be very happy to be outbid and see someone else enjoy them.

I was back up home this past week; I have mentioned before that it is lumber king territory and that my dad had more than a few axes from garage and estate sales and thought there might be a chance there could be something really old or interesting there. I counted 27. Lighting conditions weren't great and most had rusting, some pitted, many were beat up, etc. His buying the leftovers at the sales probably mostly got him the dregs. I could not see markings on probably the majority of them and they were hard to read. But I found a couple Craftsman, one that said Wards something, one that all I could make out, so far, said "hollow ground", and a double bit that I could see something "perfect. I brought home seven axes and a curious little hatchet. I will try to get some pictures on here before long. (A couple weeks to a couple months)

Very possibly, scrap metal drives to support war efforts took most of the old axe heads long ago.

I should have bid more. someone got a bargain. £37 for the 3. and only a few days ago a 4lb S.A.Wetterlings i watched went for £50. Someone should be very very pleased tonight.
Hasn't been many pics on here for awhile now you went an left us down.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was back up home this past week; I have mentioned before that it is lumber king territory and that my dad had more than a few axes from garage and estate sales and thought there might be a chance there could be something really old or interesting there. I counted 27. Lighting conditions weren't great and most had rusting, some pitted, many were beat up, etc. His buying the leftovers at the sales probably mostly got him the dregs. I could not see markings on probably the majority of them and they were hard to read. But I found a couple Craftsman, one that said Wards something, one that all I could make out, so far, said "hollow ground", and a double bit that I could see something "perfect. I brought home seven axes and a curious little hatchet. I will try to get some pictures on here before long. (A couple weeks to a couple months)

Very possibly, scrap metal drives to support war efforts took most of the old axe heads long ago.
The one that said "Perfect" was probably a "Kelly Perfect". I have a couple of those.

Kelly perfect would be fine. I think there was a Plumb also.

Let's see if I can do some pictures.
This is the little hatchet.

Well that's not an axe.

American Logging Tool Evart, Mich. (?)

Not a cant hook either.

The axes.

Hatchets.

Now we'll see if this posts. I kept getting a security message, refresh page and try again message while copying and pasting.

Kelly perfect would be fine. I think there was a Plumb also.

Let's see if I can do some pictures.
This is the little hatchet.

Well that's not an axe.

American Logging Tool Evart, Mich. (?)

Not a cant hook either.

The axes.

Hatchets.

Now we'll see if this posts. I kept getting a security message, refresh page and try again message while copying and pasting.
I’m not seeing any photos

Back