Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My cousin called and said he was at an auction and they had a nice Plumb Jersey there, how high did I want to go? I said if it wasn't beat up go $15. Then he called back and said I had to take all the other stuff they threw in with the ax. A pretty cool 8 pound maul that is long and thin, never seen one like it. A grubbing hoe, pick, and a new handle, all for $8. Then it turned out there is a crack in the eye of the Plumb. I'm going to see if I can weld it and grind it flat. Then my hunting buddy called and said the big farm auction today had a near mint Kelly double, and an Echo 8000 with a 30" bar. But, I didn't get to check it out because we went hunting instead. Scrounged this rascal up. I'll get Axe pics ASAP.
r0jHDfF.jpg

Hey Tony, welcome to the dark side, now you have something else to look for at sales. When you say wrong handle, do you mean it should have an offset handle for hewing? If it has a single bevel edge I'd say it should be offset. I have seen them with straight handles if they were double beveled.

I like that broad axe, t'is tres smart!

I waswatching a nice SAWetterlings 4.5lb head on ebay, listed a a lot along with a 1lb HB hatchet. i couldn't decide if the 2 together would put people off, or if it would go silly. Baed on stuf recently the Wetterlings was worth about £45 after postge nd litle hatchets always sell well....I reckon the Hults was worth at least another £20. I forgot to gt a bid in...they went for £44 posted. ****!
Ah well....I did gt a bid in early on another SAWetterlings head, a nice 5lber. first bidder. after 3 days someone pushed me up a pound, then it sat...got it tonight at that price £25 posted. ohhhhh yyeaaahh! :numberone::rock::happybanana:

Hey Tony, welcome to the dark side, now you have something else to look for at sales. When you say wrong handle, do you mean it should have an offset handle for hewing? If it has a single bevel edge I'd say it should be offset. I have seen them with straight handles if they were double beveled.
Joe the wrong handle was modded for right offset. Handle lacked enough wood to fill the ends of the socket. Another wedge or two wood allow me to trust the head to stay on while putting a serious swing on it. Head flat on log side, character of form on the bark side for hewing rectangular posts. FYI I already had five or six heads with a couple handles, lurking in the shadows of the dark side woodn't ya know?

Joe the wrong handle was modded for right offset. Handle lacked enough wood to fill the ends of the socket. Another wedge or two wood allow me to trust the head to stay on while putting a serious swing on it. Head flat on log side, character of form on the bark side for hewing rectangular posts. FYI I already had five or six heads with a couple handles, lurking in the shadows of the dark side woodn't ya know?
Ha Ha, should have figured. I missed a nice one last Saturday because I went hunting. My buddy went to the preview and found , what he said was a near mint, with original handle, Kelly double, 4 pound. It was out in the field with the junk, so it probably went for $5. I was out of the woods in time to make the auction, but the sun came out and it was getting pretty warm. I was trying to get my deer in my shed where it was cool. So, I passed on the sale. There will be plenty more auctions, don't know if I'll ever see another 194 pound deer.

OOPS. I made one out of a piece of Ash firewood and it's held up well.
I've still got a few handles from auction a few years ago. One of the unseen treasures in two boxes for a buck is No^3 head.IMG_20181105_183910.jpg
A friend who found a pickerel in the woods with a broke handle & I are gonna have new handles from a stick of shag-bark hickory once I mill the blanks. Enjoy

I've still got a few handles from auction a few years ago. One of the unseen treasures in two boxes for a buck is No^3 head.View attachment 683579
A friend who found a pickerel in the woods with a broke handle & I are gonna have new handles from a stick of shag-bark hickory once I mill the blanks. Enjoy
Looks great, what pound weight is number 3?

Why am I getting paged here, things get a little fishy and the first person you think of is me o_O:lol:.
LOL one time my autocorrect changed Fiskars to Fishers and you brought up the time the Nights who say NI asked for the greatest tree in the forest to be chopped down with....A HERRING!!

LOL one time my autocorrect changed Fiskars to Fishers and you brought up the time the Nights who say NI asked for the greatest tree in the forest to be chopped down with....A HERRING!!
Oh, now it's all perfectly clear, even if I have totally forgotten that conversation lol.

Back