Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think 90% of all 99's made were sold in PA. They are such great woods guns. It's getting pretty hard to find one that hasn't had extra holes drilled in them. Savage didn't start drilling them for scopes till about 1949-50. I have one made in 1912 that was sold to the Malcolm Telescopic Rifle Co. The scope is almost as long as the barrel. I also have a factory letter with the shipping date. If I can find the pic I can keep it on topic because it's mounted on a Fir slab I cut down with an ax and milled with my 660, Joe.

My BIL has 4 or 5 of them (99's). I looked at getting one but the price wasnt't justified for the little I would use it.
My dad's cousin owns the .25-35 Winchester that my great grandpa originally owned. He did not want to sell it when I asked him about 10 years ago. He only has step children so I hope they really appreciate that gun or that he gives it to one of his blood nephews someday.

Been workin on a couple here the last week. The H B no name was covered in orange paint and a loose handle, couple coats of boiled on her an refit the head. The Norlund was all oranged up as well but nice tight handle. Not sure why I didn't get before picks.
41ca58ff99e1fca0007c7e87c297b12a.jpg
004ed990c1158f9030623b2ea44dd691.jpg
61536fb6683d61fd39099c329af818d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Been workin on a couple here the last week. The H B no name was covered in orange paint and a loose handle, couple coats of boiled on her an refit the head. The Norlund was all oranged up as well but nice tight handle. Not sure why I didn't get before picks.
41ca58ff99e1fca0007c7e87c297b12a.jpg
004ed990c1158f9030623b2ea44dd691.jpg
61536fb6683d61fd39099c329af818d6.jpg

Nice stuff you got there, I hope to come across a Genuine Norlund one day to add to my collection. Where did you score that Norlund?

Nice stuff you got there, I hope to come across a Genuine Norlund one day to add to my collection. Where did you score that Norlund?
I bought those 2 and another boys axe on a pkg deal on evilbay believe it or not. What I paid for all three is prolly less than what that one is worth. I guess it was because they were all painted up an stuffs . Gave the other no name to a buddy that wanted a small axe [emoji38]

I bought those 2 and another boys axe on a pkg deal on evilbay believe it or not. What I paid for all three is prolly less than what that one is worth. I guess it was because they were all painted up an stuffs . Gave the other no name to a buddy that wanted a small axe [emoji38]

Yeah.. I have an Evilbay purchase or two myself...., but that being said, seems as if you made out pretty good. Ha ha, my last no-name Hudson Bay I gave to my wife! As much as I dig the pattern as a collector, they are not my favorite patterns for a working axe. I only like my Wetterlings HB because it has a unique wedge shape with thick cheeks that gives an advantage over any other small axe I have for bushcraft or camping.

Yeah.. I have an Evilbay purchase or two myself...., but that being said, seems as if you made out pretty good. Ha ha, my last no-name Hudson Bay I gave to my wife! As much as I dig the pattern as a collector, they are not my favorite patterns for a working axe. I only like my Wetterlings HB because it has a unique wedge shape with thick cheeks that gives an advantage over any other small axe I have for bushcraft or camping.
When do I get to stop over an see your Museum? [emoji38]

When do I get to stop over an see your Museum? [emoji38]

You're probably going to be disappointed at the extent of my "museum", pretty sure you might have an equally nice if not larger collection than myself. We'll have to set up a time, you'll need to first meet my two dogs, then meet my wife. If you do well with them, then you can see my axes and forestry tools. Not much gets by my wife though, she's a real-life CSI ;)

You're probably going to be disappointed at the extent of my "museum", pretty sure you might have an equally nice if not larger collection than myself. We'll have to set up a time, you'll need to first meet my two dogs, then meet my wife. If you do well with them, then you can see my axes and forestry tools. Not much gets by my wife though, she's a real-life CSI ;)
Hahaaahaaa... I look forward to it Sir

I am starting the process of rehanging that Hudson Bay pattern axe I referenced earlier. I successfully dug the metal wedges out of the head with a screwdriver but ended up wrecking the handle anyhow so I have a new one (purchased from local fleet supply for $7.99, has decent but not great grain). Will get pics when I log in from my phone. Not a huge loss of the handle as it was originally stolen off a different boy's axe head anyhow and I rehung that one with a new ash handle.

@Multifaceted what stain/varnish/oil do you apply to your handles? They look great. Also what grit sandpaper do you hit the handle with before finishing?

On a side note I was going through my old padlocks and found a couple of rusty ones. I am going to do a little test of ammonia versus vinegar baths for two that are approximately of equal rustiness. I am not concerned about the result as everyone and their brother have the key to these locks so I can only use them for "minimum security" tasks anyhow.

@Multifaceted what stain/varnish/oil do you apply to your handles? They look great. Also what grit sandpaper do you hit the handle with before finishing?

Thank you! Lately, I've been staining some handles with a color called 'Gunstock' which I really like with the black, rust-blued finish I've done. Otherwise I've used Golden Oak after heat treating the grains. Often, I simply use a drying oil only. For oil, I use Boiled Linseed Oil, typically I'll put three coats with a generous amount on the end-grain (which is where it soaks up the most) before using. Typically, I'll coat the haft and end-grain wedges, let sit for 20 or so minutes, then wipe off excess and let dry for 24 hours. I'll repeat this two more times, but the third time I'll let dry for 48 hours. For sanding the handles I like to use either 120 or 150 grit sand paper. Others use 180, but I like it just a touch more rough which gives better purchase on the grip. I've even seen some of the old-timers knurl the handle with a rasp for an even more coarse purchase.

Before you go staining and oiling, make sure you've got the handle thinned out to where you want it, otherwise you'll be making touch-ups. Also, it's going to get dinged up with a stained handle, so the lighter wood becomes exposed. Regular oiling with BLO helps mend those wounds and lend a really cool, used character.

Edit: two, not three more times after the first initial coat.

Here is a few thins I picked while on vacation deep in WV with my wife and dogs. First is a Collins Brush Axe (3.5 lb) - had some typical "Bubba" modifications, like the electrical tape wrap and a few bolts driven into the wedge.

Before:
jrgBu7P.jpg

... and after:
DyV9zRW.jpg

nuDWYgf.jpg

Z8dIoHA.jpg

ilp9fN2.jpg

Notice the grain orientation on that last pic, very horizontal, but I though that this was more a swinging/cutting tool than a striking tool like an axe, so that wood should hold up well. I've also seen these with mostly curved or bent grip handles, but I had an extra 36" straight shaft, and with the curved cutting blade, it just made more sense to me.

As a bonus, and while not an axe, I did pick this while in WV too. An unmarked one-man crosscut saw, Tuttle Tooth pattern. Figured ya'll would appreciate this...

Before:
kYpOkcP.jpg

mporoNS.jpg

... and after:
WS1ICaS.jpg

uAJwJkI.jpg

Still have A LOT of work to do, got most of the rust off, now just trying to get most of the pitting out and rust off of the teeth and rakers. I'm currently drawing up plans for a benchtop saw vice, and still need to procure the proper tools, like jointer, spider, set gauge, sawyers hammer, hand anvil, etc. Down the rabbit hole I go...

Thanks for looking!

Got it hung tonight. I bought an off brand version of a cordless Dremel and boy that is nice for fitting the handle to the head. Need to sand down the handle and do it up with BLO. I have a quart of it at the hunting cabin so I guess the project will be finished up there.

Ironically I checked the tag and this handle was originally from House Handle Co.

Pay no attention to the shiny part of the cutting edge, I had taken out some burs with my multi tool. I'll uniformly sharpen it as the project nears completion.
IMG_9767.JPG IMG_9768.JPG
IMG_9769.JPG
IMG_9771.JPG

Here is a few thins I picked while on vacation deep in WV with my wife and dogs. First is a Collins Brush Axe (3.5 lb) - had some typical "Bubba" modifications, like the electrical tape wrap and a few bolts driven into the wedge.

Before:
jrgBu7P.jpg

... and after:
DyV9zRW.jpg

nuDWYgf.jpg

Z8dIoHA.jpg

ilp9fN2.jpg

Notice the grain orientation on that last pic, very horizontal, but I though that this was more a swinging/cutting tool than a striking tool like an axe, so that wood should hold up well. I've also seen these with mostly curved or bent grip handles, but I had an extra 36" straight shaft, and with the curved cutting blade, it just made more sense to me.

As a bonus, and while not an axe, I did pick this while in WV too. An unmarked one-man crosscut saw, Tuttle Tooth pattern. Figured ya'll would appreciate this...

Before:
kYpOkcP.jpg

mporoNS.jpg

... and after:
WS1ICaS.jpg

uAJwJkI.jpg

Still have A LOT of work to do, got most of the rust off, now just trying to get most of the pitting out and rust off of the teeth and rakers. I'm currently drawing up plans for a benchtop saw vice, and still need to procure the proper tools, like jointer, spider, set gauge, sawyers hammer, hand anvil, etc. Down the rabbit hole I go...

Thanks for looking!
Looking good. I have a like new True Temper brush axe at the hunting cabin. Seems like a lot of work compared to the brush saw lol.

Looking good. I have a like new True Temper brush axe at the hunting cabin. Seems like a lot of work compared to the brush saw lol.

Agreed, they're more from a time where power equipment either didn't exist or wasn't readily obtainable to the average person. These days only the Forrest Service still uses these types of brush hook where they can only use hand tools. I don't intend on keeping this, will likely sell it to a good home. I have a dedicated bike-handle Stihl FS 86 trmmer with a brush knife cutting head for just such work ;)

Got it hung tonight. I bought an off brand version of a cordless Dremel and boy that is nice for fitting the handle to the head. Need to sand down the handle and do it up with BLO. I have a quart of it at the hunting cabin so I guess the project will be finished up there.

Ironically I checked the tag and this handle was originally from House Handle Co.

Pay no attention to the shiny part of the cutting edge, I had taken out some burs with my multi tool. I'll uniformly sharpen it as the project nears completion.

Looks great! Those are such nice little axes, a good truck or camping axe. Be sure you get that varnish off before you apply the handle otherwise it'll never soak in.

Looks great! Those are such nice little axes, a good truck or camping axe. Be sure you get that varnish off before you apply the handle otherwise it'll never soak in.
Yup that will be an evening project maybe this weekend. That varnish isn't the best and the handle texture is rough so the custom finish should turn out better. May soak the head in the oil before I rub down the rest.

Yup that will be an evening project maybe this weekend. That varnish isn't the best and the handle texture is rough so the custom finish should turn out better. May soak the head in the oil before I rub down the rest.
Put BLO on the head to, makes em look nice after it dries

Latest posts

Back