Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went to a 2 day auction last weekend. Bought 3 old saws, two Lombards, and one Kee Line(David Bradley). They had a really sweet Plumb Cruiser I wanted bad. I told Multifaceted I'd grab the next one I saw for him. This one was nicer than the one he hung for me. Only problem, it was the very last item to be sold. And I was heading to hunting camp and couldn't wait for it. My neighbor in WV saw the old saws, and has a few for me to look at later. Told him I collected axes too. He said he had one to give me. It belonged to his BIL that I always talked to. Shorty died of a heart attack last spring at 65 years old. I think Robert was a little surprised that I was so honored to have Shorty's ax. It's a big old hewing ax, wrong handle, painted black. I think I'll have the head lettered, "My neighbor, Dice "Shorty" Halterman" . With his date of birth and date of death on it.20191202_145808.jpg

Went to a 2 day auction last weekend. Bought 3 old saws, two Lombards, and one Kee Line(David Bradley). They had a really sweet Plumb Cruiser I wanted bad. I told Multifaceted I'd grab the next one I saw for him. This one was nicer than the one he hung for me. Only problem, it was the very last item to be sold. And I was heading to hunting camp and couldn't wait for it. My neighbor in WV saw the old saws, and has a few for me to look at later. Told him I collected axes too. He said he had one to give me. It belonged to his BIL that I always talked to. Shorty died of a heart attack last spring at 65 years old. I think Robert was a little surprised that I was so honored to have Shorty's ax. It's a big old hewing ax, wrong handle, painted black. I think I'll have the head lettered, "My neighbor, Dice "Shorty" Halterman" . With his date of birth and date of death on it.View attachment 777111
What is the definition of "cruiser". Would it be a lite weight double blade? Im thinking what we refer to as a saddle axe.
Thanks for any info

What is the definition of "cruiser". Would it be a lite weight double blade? Im thinking what we refer to as a saddle axe.
Thanks for any info

Saddle axe would be the same as a Cruiser, 2-3 lb double bit hung on a 24"-28" handle. The "Cruiser" name comes from their development as a needed tool to be used by the Timber Cruisers of the PNW. Typically a Cruiser is 2.5 lb on a 28" handle. Very capable axe for its modest weight.

Saddle axe would be the same as a Cruiser, 2-3 lb double bit hung on a 24"-28" handle. The "Cruiser" name comes from their development as a needed tool to be used by the Timber Cruisers of the PNW. Typically a Cruiser is 2.5 lb on a 28" handle. Very capable axe for its modest weight.
I have a plumb that has a large 3 then a small 2 would that be a cruiser? It seems to be 2/3rds the size of a full sized axe.

I had an hatchet given to me, it is kind of odd and do not know what it is or what it is used for. I was hoping that someone on this forum could give me some information on it. This is my first time on this forum, I usually stay on the chainsaw forum. Notice that one side is contoured and the other side is flat. it is sharpened on just one side. It is just odd to me.

Brian

Attachments

• IMG_0307.JPG
    IMG_0307.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0309.JPG
    IMG_0309.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0310.JPG
    IMG_0310.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
I had an hatchet given to me, it is kind of odd and do not know what it is or what it is used for. I was hoping that someone on this forum could give me some information on it. This is my first time on this forum, I usually stay on the chainsaw forum. Notice that one side is contoured and the other side is flat. it is sharpened on just one side. It is just odd to me.

Brian

That is a hewing hatchet, they are used to square up timber or chopping a flat surface for framing and/or joinery.

Thank You. I knew it had to be something like that.

I have no use for this hatchet. Anyone want it? I cut firewood but do not do wood working. I hate to see it become a wall hanger when someone could use it or a collector want it for there collection.

Brian

Well, of course I want it! Ha ha, but to be fair, perhaps see who else is interested, then pull a random number out of a hat and give it to the lucky feller. I'm sure anyone would gladly pay the shipping :)

Here is my finished — Finnish Billnäs axe:

vyHkgGt.jpg

wkM6BmK.jpg

Three coats of BLO with intermittent treatment of Extra Fine Steel wool, the a final application of Citrus Oil and Bees Wax.

20° Scandinavian (Flat) grind with a 25° microbevel, honed up to 1000 grit and stropped. Busy few weeks, haven't had time to do some test chops, but this has been done a while already, just wanted to wait to post until I took some swings, but I couldn't wait!

Next up is my 100 year old Swedish Collared Axe (Hults Bruk)
sAVer0m.jpg
Yours are almost too pretty to use.

Brian
Hewing hatchet.
Looks old. Very old.

Yours are almost too pretty to use.

Thank you kindly. While I do take the time to make then my own and look nice, nothing looks prettier than some wear on a tool, and I REALLY enjoy them once they've got some noticable use on them. On the pieces I keep, they all get used!

has anybody read 'The ax book' by dudley Cook? thinking of a christmas present for myself....I've read Norwegian wood and fancied something else tree/wood/axe/sw related but not too basic.

I have a plumb that has a large 3 then a small 2 would that be a cruiser? It seems to be 2/3rds the size of a full sized axe.
Here's the Plumb Cruiser that Clarence hung for me. On the display board it's the 3rd from the left, for some perspective on size.
1ZEl01g.jpg

GHQLX5Z.jpg

Back