Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday and today I'm cleaning up the garage, putting up some live edge Oak shelves for the chainsaws. Found at least 6 axes in corners, and only cleaned half of one wall. Found one of those Swedish brush axes, the name is avoiding me now. I got it at an auction. The auctioneer got down to $3 and I asked if he would take $1. He said they had a new policy, no bids under $3. He told his helper to stick it in a pile and said no sale. He knows me, I buy all of the old Homelites they get in. So, he pointed at a guy and said he was the seller, he let me have it for a buck.

The Swedish brush ax is a Sandvik. I got up my Echo shelf and maybe 12 feet of wall is neat and clean. I'm thinking of moving all of my non running shelf saws to the building in WV, and all of the display axes will go up there too. Sorry Clarence, I have lots of saws and axes I don't use.
We need pics of said Shelf

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

K, but I only have 4 Echos, it's my smallest shelf. I had to put a David Bradley on it to fill it up. I'll add a couple axes to stay On Topic. I really wanted the little ax in my hand, but I was at a big auction with 3 auctioneers going. I bought several big Homeltes, and when I got back to the barn with the axes, they were all sold.20200105_170023.jpg 20180316_155521.jpg 20180316_155400.jpg

Your axe addiction must be in remission.

I woulda stayed glued to that little number. :)
Well, I have a real big addiction to Homelites, especially when they get up in the 100CC range. I bought a beautiful Super 1050 with a 24" bar in excellent running condition for $150 and two 80CC saws for $5 each. One of which, the Homelite C72, I now have running. I do miss the little ax, but, I'd miss the saws more.

Greetings, all:

First time poster here, figured this would be the best thread since I'm a becoming a full-fledged axe junkie. Here are some of the projects I've completed this year, hopefully it is not too picture heavy... I have many, many more in the works.

Mann Knot Klipper 4.25 lb Double Bit Western or Penn Pattern:
YQoj8bA.jpg

07xkREo.jpg

---------------------------------
Some unknown Hudson Bay Pattern, was in bad shape...
G5EFGP4.jpg

0OOhfNY.jpg

------------------------------

An unknown Jersey type pattern with rounds lugs:
icm_fullxfull.118942784_q5sz5halx1c04048gc4c.jpg

icm_fullxfull.118942876_j2tyyytrsdss80oogosc.jpg

--------------------------

Council Tool Rockaway-Jersey 3.5 lb:
icm_fullxfull.123131387_htfgw8q1n9c0gko4sgwk.jpg

icm_fullxfull.118942950_74swo1iwm1s0o04ssk44.jpg

-------------------------------

Shapleigh Hardware Co. Diamond Edge Lugged Single Bit:
icm_fullxfull.121343254_bos67bojsfco000o4ggk.jpg

icm_fullxfull.125533099_oqzlfjwrbu8ogkk044k0.jpg

icm_fullxfull.121343398_ju4cracbn5csc44kw4o4.jpg
I like the work you guys have done.What are you using on the handles to bring out the grain?I'm not familiar with wood working but I would like to make the grain show in tool handles.

Boiled Linseed Oil, I'll often do three coats before using. Wipe on liberally, let sit for 15-20 minutes, then wipe off excess and let dry for 24 hours. Repeat three times.

Sometimes I'll take a small amount of dark stain and apply to wood, then immediately wipe off. This works well to bring out the grain without darkening the wood very much. Burning the grain in my experience can raise the grain of not careful which makes the wood splintery.

I was thinking of this thread when I was splitting today. I inherited this hatchet from my moms dad. It used to have a nicer handle but I broke it. I had to whittle down this handle to make it work. Keep this little guy near the splitter to take care of the stringy crap. Works great. About 9 years ago I gave it an orange paint job to keep from losing it. Love it simply because it was once my gramps6CC9A290-7F4C-4192-8A9C-E8DD25820442.jpeg

@Multifaceted

I mentioned that little axe I picked up to finish the cordwood challenge last year, a while back.

I pulled it out and took a look at it. That bit is nearly a 1/4 inch thick about 1.5 to 2 inches back. Things like a chisel. :)

It's pretty good steel though. Might do a microbevel or something on it and see how it does.

That's the best reason to like anything.
My grandpa had three daughters and no sons. The last words he spoke to me on his death bed, “you were always my boy”. Makes me tear up every time I remember it. We had the same birthday and we were connected at the hip whenever I was over their house. Taught me a lot, mostly that my dad wasn’t crazy and men really do work hard. My dads side, the men are just wired to work like their lives depend on it. My moms dad reinforced it. Grandpa Newt was one in a million!!

Had a chance to use these two.

The first one I posted before, the handle is ash off my property, split and carved out with hand tools. The hang is no good, mental error at some point and it wasn't left wide enough to fill the head. This thing is a killer. 4 pound head with a 25 inch handle that feels great. The head was $5, cleaned up real well and has hardly been touched before me.

The second one came from ash lumber that my grandpa sawed at one point. It's very thin and still very dimensional, doesn't feel very good yet, needs more work. The hang is pretty good. The head I bought last year, very thin, good steel, bites hard but sticks a lot. For certain woods and sizes it's a killer. In the big stuff it just doesn't perform.

IMG_20200127_112210751.jpg

Latest posts

Back