Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dayton pattern, definitely not a Connie.

I prefer the circular wedges if using one, even perfectly hung axe with wooden wedges can come loose, it's happened to me.

I like boiled linseed oil because cut with a little turpentine. BLO can spontaneously combust while drying on a rag, just keep that in mind.

Thanks[emoji1303]

And iv been applying the BLO simply by putting on a nitrile glove and spreading it by hand. Hate wasting it on a rag.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Thanks[emoji1303]

And iv been applying the BLO simply by putting on a nitrile glove and spreading it by hand. Hate wasting it on a rag.

Don't let it dry thickly applied, it will turn out gummy and sticky. Nothing a little lacquer thinner or turpentine can't fix, though.

I just use paper towels. First I apply it with gloved hands then let sit for ~20 minutes. Wipe off excess and let dry for 24 hours. Repeat this three times, but in the third time let dry 48 hours. Makes for a really deep color that is protective and water resistant. You can also use some extra fine steel wool in between coats to smooth out the purchase if desired.

Don't let it dry thickly applied, it will turn out gummy and sticky. Nothing a little lacquer thinner or turpentine can't fix, though.

I just use paper towels. First I apply it with gloved hands then let sit for ~20 minutes. Wipe off excess and let dry for 24 hours. Repeat this three times, but in the third time let dry 48 hours. Makes for a really deep color that is protective and water resistant. You can also use some extra fine steel wool in between coats to smooth out the purchase if desired.

I apply very thin. Use my gloved hand as a squeegee [emoji1303]

I learned that lesson once already

Iv been using 3M red and brown scotch pad for finishing it out smoothly.

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite...ocphy=9017369&hvtargid=pla-388447330719&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Brite...ocphy=9017369&hvtargid=pla-388447330719&psc=1

Another product I like to use often for regular maintenance is Ballistol. It's great for metal, leather, and even wood. It's not a drying oil, but if applied thinly it isn't messy. I typically wipe some onto the metal and cover well, then re-sheath and wipe off excess onto the leather and wood. Boom, done. I store my axes out in my shop, so during the summer humidity I can get some surface rust, but regular application greatly mitigates rust from forming. Best rust prevention is regular use ;)

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi-Purpose-Lubricant-Cleaner-Protectant/dp/B07TBNRFPN

Here's a piece I finished the other day. Kind of been pecking away at it. I had a handle blank already roughed out, I say rough but it will probably stay that way.

The only reason I was looking for a head was to get something heavier. I'm not trying to out collect anyone I'm looking for users in different weights I like. Well, this head was not as listed, not by a few ounces or a typo, supposed to be 5 lbs, but really 3 and a half. Which is a great weight but not what I'm looking for. It's not like I got ladies underwear, it's still an axe so rather than return it I poked away at it. Hung it before I even touched the head, which is not my standard way. Then I started working on the edge. Went out and used it, worked pretty well considering how rough it still was. Then the other day I did more work on the edge and have it where it should be.

I've only used it a bit seems alright.

IMG_20200315_1157503331.jpg

IMG_20200315_1158212741.jpg

Yup , new resto thread .

Here's a 3 1/5 lb 5$ yard sale find .

Vup2Q8nl3dkdEMnm9p_XDpt09QY8hIk1Mh5iWa1llu4ch6a6RWmiEh5o5zgl8QYPCvGe70AduAdLcgGagjEs58BCExuf_Z-yqOkfBJzh5Xb2w4Y7hRxp5n-mzVyrCTJ_OzTdIwNYiw098uAF7D7Xq-ZpM0AFbXHVhCA46ULu7YoNAkK8OghQbQ3_MAKu9j5d-uPA43GSkYxOS7bkntkM-fCBgIacws56Cwg6NPWw3x65NT4X-MEVExelx2P-ulYqn6W0_qnvJvcgAU6MfZOj3MG1MKiYC68pRueE2yJU1D619bUzl1gqpmy22Mg8Jkc4uZFXJb1kvJtIhBEbfLXk1UXstfjufoCLzc4h6P5T9d09SvbCCOPsURoGZ8XcNbCdtN57AmRdtYhPLUSD8tjMgKwYbjVdHMqQrkxGK66FWSB8hzn2IgKZ1bfvZ-gDLsjuleeO8FGApNuyRZGbGWBhPrW-YrMwARL1LPt3pzOc9gpR9-46MEuksBnFvRGH80-8UoIfjs-moUnr8IhujMRy_Isd5eVizHX1En8FC-DVbx6MdhFM9VPwSeSkxIK2F4f7Tp8HQdJPI69P7fhCJC1pVcTKim470u0h9brmX-q9sW0ogcQ-B4D6BmPNMcr7I5hA7BJO6ZadsZ7F5bcQepCLGmzQ9AND7hs0yo4bQQRYt2o=w1788-h939-no

Now has a new 30" piece of hickory .

oTTPrl10aQOateR9Kcz8O8FUWgPnAeNhAAHBYFdPY7kb_twYylQc2SGL9tyrqigJmf51bpRiyS2VZNVD51F2vUdCjwrWzmeAEAC6EZ4D61XKkb1NJ8ja4pXxP9VQLy26f6Nr6BFDgrGek1iPXeGzbPxkJs57AVRZoNCAIZzdVRpQ9lGOE7-AmkJENLAfxE-1aC3HBDKlQc5tisDacpDWeLBsGiNn8T6hI_i4CYroSgjUZ5IOQNkG-QTN29_FWuOdCUS_5VYHIHiQb0W5tSX0J-2Xz4zm7uQw-aWyy2-n6yKZba8yRaN8ajWDupGNXotiOTvKruUFiA6YT0iEWfEEdlY0lmkQ7r9RT4r3xfGXS6GfEli7z1F2nFa8j8f3xPKFdb0qNeeGqFE9vCBGX7kGJmoSWBRXfkDU56QlBiKQ9zrfsBrPMnq7sShK-hnBFv0N4EPBkHJ783u-x4bmRyUlggsiTZeHCjdHzi1LPwbDXTvqxiOWMgFflgd2AQceZ9rMWqEKbJ-wWzpKgn-cWK35rhCFnFJD16WJPCE8kxjJ8nvuwd1xkQk9wArZJpJoCcIXrhlcdmNYdIsjwClOZyjNXnvgsEhGcms1iwqtyFMH7NTdnL29YQojLYAWW_WiapYrzkkOrDA-0FWrgfiM0pYDKuuCeo981TNwcGa8XCvFpMg=w1719-h938-no

7O3w7t80G-pEzJHBh3Bf38xzXELfZYh4T2BS494kh_2euW5slbWBWAGnWvRm4E9fzIZq3gutypRQHhJgXjFZbbtTZ1eUGzM_vyw4LYKUfFmWwLYiDbM4pqMBCecvMuCom3f7L8tCKYwqZsQKvuiP-GBoEHHw7RpE_Z8oklhlKJpigi5hyxwHKKAP1fqUylbxj28MxNrMP7ppQHg0GE188n7LSsvOk9mtaLlWcmXtbMFBVymd8s2USKnZRyx_IF9072WXPhVq1WkOjoqVWRI-AUW-I9zYx3-IALBXAUr2dWFGf5zDJZ09paX-_holkrmUVvYAJwpexnoFtvudjXQcXamxQb4E46AcdUdBPx76P1HmytUqwZmjgpU6XEWtOtEejHsn-5TgSTjj1Pid7LRRJ_MUSESSZpZaqUkdk6PvI4SVy1REm3P0yKHlPsN77AP4-mmO50ejTwFNq--w6yVPTYVwa-xey9SyuDCkkUziix-E2DvTGiJKP2SJefGfBkWGJqk6Lq4iruRisAnVaKqi6wh18_BBeIJRQFrxKkqxyHQd2QZPsHb3sQHkXRIbURMfk8o2BaLHwI-vIiwZ8sqNJqUphiw2F63W6XOz7_95vy0vlM3nHT7v4Dm6yyLSPKFUs3AVV-oOhYDWQxrg3CXe8mkXkVVVB903y-iTsPmFYRY=w849-h938-no
Love that new handle. I can only purchase rubbish where I live in the Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia. The hickory axe handles are plantation stuff (no old growth). Even old growth spotted gum(local hardwood) is getting hard to obtain.

It's hard to say which ones to go for , there's plenty of good axes out there that were unbranded , Gransfors Bruk for example made tons of unstamped heads for export .
Best I can say is to stay away from anything that had a fiberglass handle and one that has been beat to death , the prices on the Bay seem a little high so I do the local yard/estate sales , local buy and sell ads and word of mouth to local pickers .
I try to keep this hobby as cheap as I can , 5$ to 20$ for a head is reasonable to me and handles range from 5$ to 20$ for handles but the nice Scandinavian handles range from 20$ to 40$ .

I picked up a beautiful old 1895 English Gilpin axe a few years back for nothing but had to replace the handle, and 30+years ago a nice(but lightly rusted) Plumb axe head for A$2.00 at a local garage sale. I'm not in the business of collecting axes but I do use both of these occasionally for firewood splitting. If I saw a nice axe going cheaply, say $5-10 I'd buy it for a friend. Handles are the "Achilles Heel" of all axes, especially when you can't find quality ones.

Quote Reply

Report Edit Delete

Hey everyone just got a few ax bits I need to hang. Any good suggestions on where I can get some handles. Love to here where you guys go. Thanks
A lot of guys on here including me have purchased from House Handle but their overall quality has dropped dramatically it seems. Your best bet is to find a local store that stocks a good supply then go there and pick through. Guys will vary on grain orientation but I like tight grained wood aligned so the rays point towards and away from the direction you are chopping.

Thanks[emoji1303]

When I was doing several axe handles at once, I used half of a washcloth. Once soaked in BLO, it could wipe down several handles without needing more. I kept it in a zipock between coats.

When I was doing several axe handles at once, I used half of a washcloth. Once soaked in BLO, it could wipe down several handles without needing more. I kept it in a zipock between coats.

This is good advice. Rags soaked in BLO can spontaneously combust, it's not a myth. The drying process as the oil polymerizes creates heat. In the right conditions, a rag that has dry spots or is near some paper, it can catch fire on its own from the heat built up by the chemical reaction while drying on the rag. Keeping a designated rag in a ziplock bag mitigates the drying and prevents most of the polymerization, plus it keeps it wet for future applications.

Latest posts

Back