Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't use an axe much and I'm not a collector type.

But I could use a good wedge pounder. Perfect size, some curve to the handle. Big enough to two hand, small enough to one hand.
b4cf9c07f15c0927f34d1ffa22d034ba.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Well Doug on Forged in Fire, would say my Fiskars "Will Cut". I was splitting up a big Oak on the hill in my back yard. I was spitting one round, then throwing the splits on the trailer. I set the Fiskars down and started tossing splits in. I felt a little "bump" on my ankle, looked down, and the ax was stuck in my ankle. Little cut about an inch long. Looked like a surgeon sliced it open. I was wearing my crocks and a pair of short running socks, the ax slid down the hill and stopped at my foot.. I went out to finish up today and put on heavy socks and my hiking boots. You can yell at me now, but at 96 degrees, I'm still not putting on the chaps, Joe.

I am putting a handle into a Kelly jersey style axehead that was abused as a wedge. The eye is buckled and swollen. What is the best way to fill the eye with the handle? Wooden wedge? Metal wedge? Epoxy, Bondo, linseed oil?
I've seen pictures of perfectly filled eyes (several posts back) and would love to make mine that good. Should I soak the handle in linseed oil before installation or after installation?
I did find an oversize handle with plenty of meat.
Thanks,
BB

I think if I wanted to try something like that for the first time, I'd get a role of the tape welders use to isolate heat. Looks like asbestos. Wrap the cutting edge about half way up, take a torch and heat it up cherry red around the hole and tap it back in shape. But, I don't know what I'm doing and if that would ruin any heat treating. That's just what I would try, Joe.

I am putting a handle into a Kelly jersey style axehead that was abused as a wedge. The eye is buckled and swollen. What is the best way to fill the eye with the handle? Wooden wedge? Metal wedge? Epoxy, Bondo, linseed oil?
I've seen pictures of perfectly filled eyes (several posts back) and would love to make mine that good. Should I soak the handle in linseed oil before installation or after installation?
I did find an oversize handle with plenty of meat.
Thanks,
BB
do what joe and dancan said,, heat up..and pound back into place. heating both sides,,and alternately pound on the sides.... it aint like your going to use it for taking down trees.......:D:D

Need to put a handle on this Bell System B hatchet head. The edge is dulled from the factory. Not sure if I should sharpen it? Got it as my late FIL worked for AT&T and started as a lineman sometime in the 1950's.View attachment 593676
Looks great. Those are sharpened in a different manner/angle so may want to get tips from someone in the know.

Need to put a handle on this Bell System B hatchet head. The edge is dulled from the factory. Not sure if I should sharpen it? Got it as my late FIL worked for AT&T and started as a lineman sometime in the 1950's.View attachment 593676
I was thinking that too. The square climbing pegs and the nuts on through bolts would be able to be tightened with the square hole in the hatchet.

Hello Everyone.

I need some new working single bit axes. I keep my eye out at tag sales and farm auctions.

What I need a a couple of LARGE traditional single bit splitting heads, and a smaller one for driving wedges while felling trees. They DO NOT have to be pretty, but good steel and restorable. Nothing thrown in the fireplace to clean the remnants of the handle. Just some good American or European steel.

PM me if you have some.

Thanks, MP

Latest posts

Back