Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiya Gents,

For several years I've used the site as a learning resource but never joined. I finally got tired of not being able to view pictures in some threads and signed up.
I've always appreciated a proper axe, having manually split wood since I was a pre teen. I got pretty frustrated at the overall crappy quality of Chinese axes available in the States these days so my lady and I have been hitting flea markets for a while looking for a decent old American steel project. She brought this guy home for me last weekend:
IMG_1865.JPG

I got it mostly cleaned up in some vinegar and put a new Truper handle on it and a which sharpen just to get a feel for the steel. IMG_1867.JPGIMG_1870.JPG
IMG_1869.JPG

As rusted as it was I wasn't expecting to find any markings on it, but as best as I can tell it's an old Collins USM?

Any further info y'all may have on it would be appreciated.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I spend a few hours a day cruising around and reading old threads. The collection of knowledge, sarcasm,and wicked ballbreaking is epic. Definitely my kind of place

Hello good friend and welcome. I'm over here a bit more this time of year as we approach the "season" for proper saw and processing work i.e. cooler temps.

Bogey is salt of the earth fellas and glad to see him pop up here!

Hello good friend and welcome. I'm over here a bit more this time of year as we approach the "season" for proper saw and processing work i.e. cooler temps.

Bogey is salt of the earth fellas and glad to see him pop up here!

LMAO, Hey buddy, great running into you over here! I'm having a blast figuring out all the things I never knew I never knew.

Hiya Gents,

For several years I've used the site as a learning resource but never joined. I finally got tired of not being able to view pictures in some threads and signed up.
I've always appreciated a proper axe, having manually split wood since I was a pre teen. I got pretty frustrated at the overall crappy quality of Chinese axes available in the States these days so my lady and I have been hitting flea markets for a while looking for a decent old American steel project. She brought this guy home for me last weekend:
View attachment 601120

I got it mostly cleaned up in some vinegar and put a new Truper handle on it and a which sharpen just to get a feel for the steel. View attachment 601122View attachment 601123
View attachment 601124

As rusted as it was I wasn't expecting to find any markings on it, but as best as I can tell it's an old Collins USM?

Any further info y'all may have on it would be appreciated.

Not 100% sure on the stamp, but it certainly looks like a Cedar Axe pattern. This style of axe was developed for migrant workers from Mexico to clear cedar in TX, one of the last patterns to be developed before the axe was supplanted by the chainsaw. Either that or the Tasmanian pattern was the last, I don't really know for sure.

Here's a 2.5 lb Matchless Boys Axe I restored for my brother-in-law, one of my best hangs yet.

Ph2VFwF.jpg

PE7nPgW.jpg

XeOeSxJ.jpg

KHAFCFX.jpg

Ph2VFwF

Very impressive as per your usual!
Many thanks! Probably hard to tell from the picture, but it is shaving sharp too, as are all my axes... and I have the forearms to prove it ;)

I recently was on vacation with my wife and dogs in Appalachia and scored a nice Collins Brush Hook, and some unknown maker One-Man Crosscut saw. I'll post some pics as I get further along, the crosscut saw requires a wealth of knowledge to understand not only to use, but to refurbish.

Was out at a yardsale this am

It has the blue paint that the Swede axes have , 3$ ;)

If i send you 20 Can$ cold you send me 1 x quality swedish hatchet head, 1 x quality swedish felling axe head and 1 x quality swedish splitting axe head please? No rush, i know it'll take you a week or maybe 2 to find them. ;)

that is beautiful! love the colour of the head and the handle. i assume its hickory but looks orangy brown, did you stain it?

Thank you, the head was rust blued to get the black oxidation and color. Yes, the handle is stained, it was bone white hickory with a sliver of dark heartwood. The color stain is called "Gunstock", and I really like the look of it against the dark black blueing or a nice natural patina. After repeated coats of oil, the nicks and dings of the handle don't show the brighter unstained wood as much and forms a really nice character over time.

Neil , I'm not sure if I have any spares lol

T19E6E22HaHqGq-Vp3sdFqqH_GfGsOedJKZLJTgi3AgKJZGRkEkLvsP-e8QOe7gbLPim2jxb2Ax5E3bStUegrqn8Pw3909P1l2Aohj95iV5wxyx6e1a3_DlEFyAuMrnr07iadQzIwyjmGxoqQbAAAeIbPCo5bZnIQTbfQdJdXh1ffouS2JwEF2asnumKn1n9qhM9eyLkmnibY5-FvGP3pyUKS09ppuqQ57t7LD3nYtlpFo43iA9JL9aS5jIjhQjHylGD2mVpDjHFphYtAjOC_VkWCBemgsbScQeovgpXetJFTVoheS_2pTOp33GjARC3-8ZeSzmpYwZVJ_zxcDaeuhtvWZCR_yLbN6lfGBxNoHk2LYnpLYLyDJUs-_gSGeXShNvjSbcpfu3bSZzAFDVHdGQyAMn9sndZGQ23BkLlym-YatOT6LAytkwGfhUAsQYqgbDxg6X2bOZFjra80OwLhGzPwjO3_D9cFPR1FDCdxAISjIfXSPmJ2eSHku8rlXKK2XFJqtcctE3kKbqNNqBzHwxpRD3c_VyHEHNvyrvAC4XdfRAOkbojtw4DP2fv8nGL9bKMBAJ201RC7sHxkCOpqJRDETNiYK9HJaZbe28wLqJLz3K8U3xuDuIraQf2-k5ayrfyrv48wpP7L85gEDPHWOkYiVrZvT9Yqh9n=w1668-h938-no

pA0KPnCdtM5rnTg51pvX2ljDumjCyuT75Q_MlVNoHaJaME3fgfvYncfhZ39iBMRbFcTBpl_5OpW19d4QXhCwPDkHw6otQg148Rc8IjbUjAARWH_wZ3MMv-qxT-VIoDW8lArEmboLpOXvzGYE_jZxTqEmbqU5Qt-4wxrMlvU-Zx_-Oq7CrDD26hdqvUvDCiKomb9tTqUmNj7t67g0I3QlkoxksRAkFh21Uc_De5ERcrWLBPEWb5RPVOqxsJgl8NwNuLzUfkw1eQQaSt3qGNx0l6RK1m6286yb_Qo-RI9GMHRZILMN40g4RmKWDwochm5ffAQT4r9h9g6Y402hV42_TBs8OJpQEMSBt1SuGlDKsH8Z8LoUOq12YZqde8EQRduRqNf_R7Dede7vC4nV4lK9cS_gFIwuaax1h3Mm-prb1jbSI_LgguZLc6cd7GTIzGCjUipb51Sq7mE5wlwgFw3fOL0HpeZpPXg7OLlv9efYb1FNyxjym7f0RJ0Hpf1nbQ1JrCzzMV_9E8IlJcq1DAFxEe2Cf-h5MLYt0MRY285SGMEsROdpMp0mjn88mXLv6Ig3WgwYMJyXWDNDJBKY_sBmRqc0Fxfyt85vehf598JNgH6w58nfIQ0tleJ0GzcPPXSw780cquHA-K2CptlaG0E9nwmQuYDjsxJWsZ3i=w766-h312-no

These followed me home , honest .
7.50 Canadian copecs each , both handles are good to use :)

Wow, nice pick-ups! Find a lot of those up there?

Back