Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
**** me, that is a beautiful axe! stunning work!

"**** me" is the least British phrase I've ever read, ha ha

Thanks, mate - it was a fun project to work on. Any luck with your project axes as of late? Let me know if you're looking for an American double, might be able to hook you up with one if interested.

Ha ha, we don't all sound like the Queen or a cockney...although my North east London/Essex accent might sound Cockney to you guys.

I'm embarassed to say I've made no progress owth hanging heads...I've got loads to do...The Brades criterion hatchet head is loose - needs removing, remove a shoulder on the haft and reseat, Stil haven't got the True emper Jersey hung, nor the 4.5lb HB, nor the number 6 SAW....oddly my brother hasn't het finished off thr haft on the other 6lb SAW. the Gilpin felling head 4lber needs hanging, the 2 3/4lb Elwell came loose and I've popped it off but not re hung it yet....the other Elwhell I bought still needs hanging.. OH dear, it really is bad! In my defence... I spent a lot of tiem last year at mum and Dad's after he was diagnosed with bowel cancer. e passed away at the end of October so now spending alot of time at mum's. When I am at home my 3 year old and 16 month old girls keep me busy (and smiling!). Projects have taken a back seat and seem less important next to family obvs, they are NOT forgotten though ...oh no.

Oh boy, would I love an American Double! I've been wtching too much Buckin' probably, but I love the look and would love to try one as a splitter! Doubles are unheard of here, the only one I could find to buy would be a new GBA...£254 plus postage...hahahhahahahaha...errr...no. No I would LOVE an American double!

BY the way, I reckon you do better work than Buckin', I think he looks to hang his axes very very well, but that's all he does, other than sharpen. You think about each axe and your efforts in regrinding then finishing....wow. BTW, do you use your Arvika much?

Wait a cotton pickin' minute, you mean to tell me that not everyone in the UK speaks with Received Pronunciation like on the BBC ???

Ha ha, I'm only teasing. You might be surprised to learn that I'm actually very familiar with regional dialects and accents in the English speaking world... I even do impersonations too :) Though, I'm still working on my Geordie dialect.... (needs work) — I'm fascinated by other cultures, and when they pique my interest I try to learn as much as possible. "*** me" just sounds like something an American would say, but I guess I was wrong!

I totally understand your situation, the two axes I recently posted were the first I've done (or completed, rather) since probably March of last year. I also had 'one of those years' in 2018, the only difference with me is that we don't have any kids yet (working on it, though ;) ) - but I totally empathize with you. I lost my father in October of 2017, had to execute the handling of his estate, sell this house, etc. Just closed the estate in December last month. Then in July I had my injury, and subsequently the surgery and recovery... which is going remarkably well! Sometimes, life gets in the way. If a project takes me 6 months, then it takes me 6 months, perhaps longer. What are you going to do? Always loads to do, though... the work never ends as I'm sure you know.

Wow, thanks for the compliment! I think Billy does some good work, but yes, he doesn't take the time and attention to the haft contours nor the grinds. I mean, you can take a dull ax and sharpen it enough to dry shave, but if the grind is not right it will be a very inefficient chopper. That's where I like to leave my mark, a tailored work-ready ax that will chop efficiently and feel good in your hands.

The Arvika gets used every once in a while. I just started swinging axes again about 4 weeks ago, haven't since July when I blew out my ACL. I was using it again the other day warming up for the 2019 Ax Cordwood Challenge, and while it is indeed sharp and narrow, with custom ground bevels in the cheeks of the heel and toe - it does however need an improved grind angle. Right now its got a 23 degrees secondary bevel, and I plan to grind it down to around 15 degrees, then do a primary 30 degree micro bevel on the actual cutting edge. That should make a mockery of the hardwood I'm chopping. The thing is that the hardened steel on that ax is incredibly hard, so I'm going to have to devote several hours to grinding the cheeks down. Just haven't gotten around to it yet. Right now it's tiring when chopping with it as it down't bite as deep as it should. My 2kg Basque ax, 2.5lb cruiser, and my vintage HB 1kg are my go-to axes. I'm really digging my Siberian Toporsib ax too, but I think I need to thin the haft even more as it still feels bulky in my hands.

I'll keep my eye out for a double in my travels. Do you have a preference in weight? Most I find are around 3.5 lb, but I prefer the cruiser weight of 2.25-2.75 lb. They're just more practical for the modern man looking to work the old way.

I used to visit Dallas and LA lots with work and New Jersey once. My impression was that the average American is much cleaner mouthed than the average Brit guy.... Although Hollywood gives a different picture. Still... Believe Hollywood and all Brits sound like Mary Poppins or **** can dyke's attrocious cockney!

Search on YouTube for a clip of atv programme called ' the only way is Essex' .or ' Towie'. That's more my sound.... It's not an attractive accent. My fiancee is Scouse (from Liverpool) so what the kids will sound like....hmmm.
Yeah best of luck with Geordie.... Try anything with Jimmy Nail in for a thick Geordie... errr .' Auf viedersein pet' . It's a comedy from the 80s, . The character 'Oz' is Jimmy.

Glad the knee recovery is going well, fingers crossed for you.

I guess the Arvika isn't meant for long sessions... Or doesn't take long to race through a competition log.

Yes I like watching Billy and learn from him, he knows his stuff, but you seem more a Steven Edholm kind of axe man, a more rounded expert!

Oh man, I'd love any double! A splitter rather than a super thin chopper, and 3.5lb is a nice weight for that and my wood. but bearing postage charge in mind lighter may be more suitable!

O, Bugger it all. I got a couple double doubles, meanin more an one o the same, but different, that are the bees knees. I'll take a butchers hook at the bits an bobs an see what I can find. If every thing goes tickety-bo I'll pull one from the odds n sods, and get it up to my mate in PA. Then I'm off to Bedfordshire, movin all this snow from one place to another place has me Plumb tuckered.

Pom's,Scot's,Irish,Aussie's,South African's us kiwis too all have the filthiest of potty mouths imaginable where every sentence has at least one F##k in it if not a few especially in the regular average Joe tradie world. My aunt she's from London used to drive a bus any way she's really bad her parenting was interesting "Thomas for F$$k sake if you don't get your skinny lil F***in ars in hear now and clean this F***in S**T up I'm gonna cut your stinky lil F**kin willy off and feed it to the dog" and that was just normal to her 7 year old Haha really good kid now doing a plumbing apprenticeship.

Any way on to axe questions the handles here are shocking. Badly bent and way too skinny soo was wondering if you guys had any online options? The thought of not being able to look at before buying is bugging me. I thought about buying an actual Hults bruk handle to match but they very pricey I don't mind paying for it if nice though

Wow, I don't believe I'm an expert, let's just say I'm more of an enthusiast!

You say your dialect is awful, well then we must be birds of a feather because I'm originally from Baltimore, Maryland (pronounced 'Meh'rlin"), home to one of the worst dialects known to the English language, ha ha. Here's an example (and yes, it is that nasally) — even on the popular HBO series, The Wire, which took place in the Baltimore, not even a talented British actor could get the accent right. Around Baltimore, if you go to Ocean City, which is a beach on the mid-Atlantic coast and tourist destination on the Delmarva peninsula, everyone always says: "Gow'n downey owe'shin"; or in plain English: "going down to the ocean"... Ha ha, Van Dykes accent was the worst! So bad, he actually had to apologize for after decades... poor fellow. I had never known about the Geordie accent until a few years ago when met a bloke while in Baltimore visiting a friend at a pub, he was from Newcastle and by happenstance we struck a conversation while I was ordering another ale. Listening to him talk, I was thinking: is he northern, or is he a Cornishman; no, that's not a western dialect...??? I ended up saying "Pardon me, sir, but where the heck are you from?" albeit very politely.

Never been to Dallas, but most Texans would say the only city that isn't "real" Texas is the capital, Austin. Los Angelas is a cluster ****, my brother lives there and loves the weather, but it's way too crowded, too expensive, and too trendy for my tastes — and totally lack any culture. I'm more of a countryman. Spent much of my youth and younger adult life in the city, but prefer the calmness of rural-suburban living over the day to day meleé of urban sprawl. You've been to New Jersey, they talk funny over there too... the land of strange traffic patterns, where you aren't allowed to pump your own gasoline/petrol, and everyone calls pizza a "pie".

Yeah, the Arvika while a "racer" is still a work-grade ax, and will perform well. It's just that from the factory they are pretty much blunt steel clubs. The whole idea behind the Arvika is to be used as a trainer, to which the grind is custom tailored by the individual. This is evidenced by the ridiculously deep HB stamp on the cheeks...

I'll keep an eye out for a nice hardwood pattern double for you. 3.5 lb is so common I might just trip over one, ha ha...

"
O, Bugger it all. I got a couple double doubles, meanin more an one o the same, but different, that are the bees knees. I'll take a butchers hook at the bits an bobs an see what I can find. If every thing goes tickety-bo I'll pull one from the odds n sods, and get it up to my mate in PA. Then I'm off to Bedfordshire, movin all this snow from one place to another place has me Plumb tuckered.

'Ello me old China! Wot say we pop 'round the Jack. I'll stand you a pig and you can rabbit on 'bout your teapots. We can 'ave some loop 'n Tommy, then be home before the dickory hits twelve.

"

'Ello me old China! Wot say we pop 'round the Jack. I'll stand you a pig and you can rabbit on 'bout your teapots. We can 'ave some loop 'n Tommy, then be home before the dickory hits twelve.
Blimey mate, whatcha think o that China man callin his place “Me OldChina”? Place is aces for noodles, but no bangers an chips there.

Any way on to axe questions the handles here are shocking. Badly bent and way too skinny soo was wondering if you guys had any online options? The thought of not being able to look at before buying is bugging me. I thought about buying an actual Hults bruk handle to match but they very pricey I don't mind paying for it if nice though

Smedbergs makes handles for Gränsfors Bruk, and I believe Hults Bruk as well. A quick search doesn't turn up any retailers in NZ, but I did see a few in the UK.

After the snow yesterday, I had one too many pints. Sorry about the Mockney...

Smedbergs makes handles for Gränsfors Bruk, and I believe Hults Bruk as well. A quick search doesn't turn up any retailers in NZ, but I did see a few in the UK.

Thanks for that that's one more bit of handy info. I'm happy to pay if it will be nice but not if it turns up no better than the rubish in the shops here. I should have taken some pictures the shoulder is all lop sided and a huge banana or so skinny you cant grip it properly the brand is Link

I got your drift. The knee is doing OK. Beer sounds good. I'm off the blood thinners so I'm good to go. If my new truck didn't have running boards, I'd have a hard time getting in. Need a lot more range of motion, I think it's progressing good. My 4 week evaluation went well, The Doc said I had 23* more range now than I did pre op. I'l give a cal in a couple days. You're back to work aren't you?

Thanks for that that's one more bit of handy info. I'm happy to pay if it will be nice but not if it turns up no better than the rubish in the shops here. I should have taken some pictures the shoulder is all lop sided and a huge banana or so skinny you cant grip it properly the brand is Link

Yep, Link Handles are the same club like hardware store variety we get over here in the states. Warped wood, thick handles smothered there in varnish. Just garbage...

I guess we better stop trying to be Brits, Neil might have a stroke laughing at us?:)

I now can't shake this D I C K saying 'Hello Mary Poppins!' ....is this actually you off to sweep your flue Joe?

;)

Smedbergs handles, The few (3 so far) I've had ...1 totally awesome, one fairly good, one a bit of heart wood in it but I suspect still very good wood. fat, plenty of thinning can be done. I'll bu more.

The Mockney might have been in jest, but I was inquiring about meeting up with you, if not at the bar, but at least to share a beer. How's the knee doing?
Were an when on the said beer ?[emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Like the others have said , Smedbergs handles , if not , look for a Hultafors/Hults Bruk dealer , same handle and nice quality .

Back