Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd drill the wedge out, knock the haft out, clean the head up, dry the haft as you are but watch for warping or excessive cracking, refit the head properly, sand and blo the haft, sharpen the head.

Well actually I'd do none of that as I'd not find the time, but I'd like to do that.
To do it right, that’s the way.

I’d like to just get the head set right, de-rust, and hit with BLO.

To do it right, that’s the way.

I’d like to just get the head set right, de-rust, and hit with BLO.
Fair call, I'd reckon dry it out for a couple of weeks, if the handle is still straight and not insanely cracked then file the bit of curl off, then smack the handle end hard. If it goes on again then drive a couple or 3 metal wedges in and leave in a bath of blo.

This one has been kicking around for years, I’ve no idea if it was a tag sale purchase or a family heirloom, I grabbed it to put a new handle on ad it was broken, when I start to clean it up I discovered it was stamped Sager Chemical Axe 1936. If I had had any idea it was old I would have been careful of the thing and cleaned it more gently. I plan to paint it, finish sharpening it and put a new oiled handle on it. I talked o a friend today, she does custom leather work and she is go to make me a sheath.
if anyone has any information about these I would be grateful for anything more. E2DDAC5A-486D-4E7A-86B2-A442D1C82E01.jpeg5CC2BB52-683C-41D7-8CCC-DEDBA74506BB.jpeg6C2094BD-34B9-46DF-9FBC-235B4419357D.jpeg65950751-B846-4395-B4C9-6258F2A9CFCB.jpeg34C92B37-B319-458D-814E-81D3EE8E1BDC.jpeg7B62365B-91CE-4772-8E27-D6F6EE6F5A3C.jpeg2242631E-2155-4A2A-89E2-870EDFDF2472.jpeg2DBD447F-E11F-4730-89DE-B825183D5C56.jpeg8CB479C1-F4D1-4983-B23C-518A4C1E40C2.jpeg63477C39-EC3F-4515-8437-041DC242200D.jpeg

Just curious if any of you guys know what this is named/ when it was made? I am sure it’s a brush cutter, just never seen one like it. I found it out in the Dome Rock mountain range north of the Yuma Proving Grounds in Arizona a couple weeks ago. We were searching for section corners on the BLM land near the old Colorado River Indian Reservation. It isn’t really that old but I was a bit surprised to find any kind of cutting tool where we were. Not much to cut out there. Second photo was the actual corner of the reservation and a couple miles from where I found the strange brush cutter tool. Any info would be helpful, I’m going to hang it in my wood shed as is. The handle is really cool the way it’s desert weathered.
I picked up a little brush ax like that for a buck last year at a farm auction. It's in pretty good shape with most of the paint and finish on it. I think I found that mine is a Sandvick.

After years of searching locally I found one priced reasonably at a flea market.View attachment 860674View attachment 860674View attachment 860676
My local Tuesday evening auction sells lots of old axes. Most in the $5 range. But, there is one other collector there that takes every ax I want. He out bid me 5-6 straight times. This little Norlund came up and I told my cousin I was going to go $15 on it. It was in a lot with several other axes. The other guy showed up and asked to separate the Norlund. As soon as I saw him I knew I had to take that one, or he would know I'd always back down. Went to $35 and he hesitated, and the auctuioneer said sold. So I got it for $35.
Uy9rkTa.jpg

2v0B8BA.jpg

My local Tuesday evening auction sells lots of old axes. Most in the $5 range. But, there is one other collector there that takes every ax I want. He out bid me 5-6 straight times. This little Norlund came up and I told my cousin I was going to go $15 on it. It was in a lot with several other axes. The other guy showed up and asked to separate the Norlund. As soon as I saw him I knew I had to take that one, or he would know I'd always back down. Went to $35 and he hesitated, and the auctuioneer said sold. So I got it for $35.
Uy9rkTa.jpg

2v0B8BA.jpg
Im mo expert but i think its dangerous to use that barefoot

Whoop whoop! Whoop whoop! Whoop whoop! I just won a Gransfors head, 3.5lber in what seems to be great condition! paid less than a lot of the much more common 4.5lb HB heads in worse condition go for! Good jobI stocked up on smedy's!

Oh and @rarefish383 I split some of the fresh green English oak with the True temper Jersey, that oak splits really nicely. I used the x27 just to halve or quarter the round then picked up teh Jersey on its 28" haft and it rattled through really nicely. I'm going to enjoy using that a lot i can tell!

Im mo expert but i think its dangerous to use that barefoot
That's OK, I cut fire wood with my 660 in crocks with no socks and short pants. Some day I may wake up. I gave a friend a Homelite C51 to mill with, he gave me a pair of chaps. The last time I went to a rendezvous, I wrapped 2 rifles in them, worked pretty good. SVK gave me a pair of Kevlar gloves. I use those rascals when ever sharpening axes and saws. They are nice, I used to nick my knuckles on saw chain all the time.

Gave this to my neighbor. Told him to use it and if it breaks I’ll put a new handle on it!
I called Multifaceted a month or two back and showed him a pile of maul heads I was going to throw in the scrap bucket, and one nice ax head. I forget if it was a Jersey or not. He said he would pay for the ax. I said, "You don't get it, I told my wife I would get rid of three things a month that I don't use. The 6 mauls and one ax are seven things, that's 2 months plus, it's all or nothing". He took them all.

That's OK, I cut fire wood with my 660 in crocks with no socks and short pants. Some day I may wake up. I gave a friend a Homelite C51 to mill with, he gave me a pair of chaps. The last time I went to a rendezvous, I wrapped 2 rifles in them, worked pretty good. SVK gave me a pair of Kevlar gloves. I use those rascals when ever sharpening axes and saws. They are nice, I used to nick my knuckles on saw chain all the time.
Oh good! I forgot about those.

Back