Axe restoration thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a look at the scrounged DBA. The head has creeped up on the last owner and since it got rained on, was all swelled.

Tried to tap it on to no avail. Put it in my furnace room on top of the water heater so it can dry out a bit.

Anyone recognize that decal?

View attachment 860399View attachment 860400View attachment 860401
After ten days on the water heater, the head walked right back onto the handle when I banged the bottom of the handle on the concrete.

Next we do a vinegar bath for the head.
E7C5FF5F-409D-4724-B09E-FA9158D89081.jpeg

Some interesting metallurgy on this head.

Instead of the rusty head turning the vinegar bath into a red, frothy mess like every other head I’ve soaked, the vinegar has barely turned color and the rust scale is coming off very slowly but surely. Only the hardened edges still hold scale after two days and three scrubs.
F349528C-443C-4263-AEC1-691F98056FA5.jpeg

That handle has picked up some pretty good black stains from the rust busting process. Per my brother in law who builds log homes: Use a solution of 3 parts water to 1 part bleach to remove dark stains from wood prior to staining/varnishing. Once it has been bleached, I am going to use Watco to get it a bit darker than my standard BLO refinishes.

Those black stains could look quite nice, particularly if it highlights the grain.

Are you going to put it by the water heater for a couple of weeks again?

I'm intrigued by buckin's favourite, Wad Ka! I've looked on the website and see there are lots of products, the usual oils like tung, teak, blo, and such like. I'm not sure exactly which product buckin uses. I'm guessing it's one that's a 'hard wax oil'. A blend of wax and oils. I've saicos hard wax oil on my parquet and that seems good.

Those black stains could look quite nice, particularly if it highlights the grain.

Are you going to put it by the water heater for a couple of weeks again?

I'm intrigued by buckin's favourite, Wad Ka! I've looked on the website and see there are lots of products, the usual oils like tung, teak, blo, and such like. I'm not sure exactly which product buckin uses. I'm guessing it's one that's a 'hard wax oil'. A blend of wax and oils. I've saicos hard wax oil on my parquet and that seems good.

It’s only stained black about 3” up from the head. The rest is bone white. I’ll take it back to white then do the whole thing in “wadca”. Love when he calls it that.

The press here reckons it's national lockdown #2 for the UK next week. Maybe I'll have time to hang a few more axe heads!!
Funny how the press gets to do that? You would think it would be the Surgeon General. Just messin with you Neil. The press over here think they are the Second Coming.

It's how our present political leaders have been working. They leak the plan to the press on Friday, monitor the reaction over the weekend and then implement or not on Monday. Sure enough, we went into lockdown again.

Latest posts

Back