axe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
little hardware store had two different straight handles, both 36"...........one said single bit axe [this one] other said splitting axe.????????? this one fit this axe with minimal fitting. i had another one in the shop with the fat handle i don't much like so i thought i'd re haft the old one..............i ground and ground and ain't got it on yet.......................the splitting axe handle was even thinner than the one i got, but wonder if the end fits in the head is different? i might go back with the other head and see if one or the other is closer to fitting.

oh, i cut um all off at 27"

Most single bit axe handles should do your needs, most of the time I'll open up my vice for fitting an new handle in to try and get it good and set then pound the wedge in the top and trim with a sawzall. For length I carry from a pounder to an 15" wedge, 18" axe, 24, 36, and 48" handled axe for heavy stuff when I'm jacking just to be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are for me when you specially do poles and oversize orders the max diameter is important too always as a top size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got tired of crappy maul handles so I welded a drill steel to my splitting maul. Sure is nice, a little on the heavy side but it works, and it's unique. I'll get a pic here in a minute

Mike, it looks good.

I thought I was the only guy that did that. :rolleyes:

Isn't the short handle meant to give you less of a target? ;)

My dad had two sledge hammers. One with a wood handle and one with an iron pipe. Although the smaller diameter iron pipe fit my hands better as a kid, it didn't take but a few swings to realize that wood is a lot easier on your hands.

Ron

Mike- i stick the head in my armpit and as far as my fingertips can reach down the handle i cut er off. Fits perfect on the wedge belt and doesn't get hung up, but its plenty long enough to swing two handed as well as one handed. 3.5 pounder that is. Also you need some kind of friction on the handle end. I make 6 rings with the dremel on mine. All you should need is a single bit handle straight or otherwise, doesn't matter much. I usually look at every single handle a store has before I can pick one. I go through about 4 handles a year.

I ain dead yet ifn any a youse was wunderin.

Latest posts

Back