axle for log splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67x

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm currently building a log splitter and I was just wondering If anyone had some ideas in regards to which axle to use. I'm trying to keep cost down. I was going to walk through the local auto recycler and see if anything caught my eye. I was hoping that a few of you would be able to steer me into a direction. I was thinking of a late model dodge caravan and shortening it up but the springs are way to long. I would like it to tow decent. Or if I go with a rigid mount axle and use 15" tires will there be enough meat on the tires to help cushion the ride? Any help is appreciated.

splitter is pretty basic
-w6x25 beam (boxed under cyl and capped on end)
-4" bore cyl. w/2" rod
-6.5hp greyhound from harbor freight
-11gpm 2 stage speeco pump(probably a barnes)
- push plate made from 3/4" mild steed with 5/8" mild steel bracing
-wedge is 1 1/4" x 5" x 12" mild steel
-catch table is 3/16" diamond plate steel (diamonds facing down)
-will have hyd. log lift, but have not started fab. yet.

I have built several. trailers and at least one splitter using the bolt on unit hubs from a bailer. They bolt on with 4 bolts. Grab the spacer when you get them and you can weld the spacer on a 4 inch I beam and bolt the unit hub to the spacer. It makes for a tough setup.

The caravan is not a bad idea either, but If i were gonna shorten it I would start out with the bailer hubs. Let me know if my description was poor I can take a photo of a pair I have in the shop.

I'm not sure I can find those hubs too easily where I am. I'll have to do some searching on the net. I definately want something that's overkill. Thanks

Leaving it wide might not be a bad idea. If it's narrow and has a lot of mass up higher (most splitters do), it'll roll really easy. It only takes one time when your tired after a day of cutting/splitting and your mind wanders while driving home. Go around a bend a little to quick and all your work can end up over there in a ditch.

Mini van rear axle. Ours sits on a Dodge Caravan axle that came with wheels and tires for around $75. It had a flat plate on either side to make mounting to the splitter very easy. Round tube main structure could easily be shortened to reduce the width, we left ours the stock length.

Pony- I just assumed i'd make it narrower, but I haven't taken any measurements yet. I agree wider is better for towing. Seems like
every piece I put on just makes it that much heavier.

shelby- I looked at a co-workers 2002 dodge grand caravan and I thought about cutting the center tube out and bolting the hub plates onto a beam.

thanks for the ideas, keep them coming. There is a ton of information on building spitters everywhere, but for some reason not too
much on the axles. I realize it's not that big of a deal, I just like to have some idea of what i need before i get to the junkyard. I only
have limited time to search. get out at 4pm and they close at 5pm

I cut a moble home axle down to the width i wanted..worked well for my splitter..a little overkill? Hell yeah but that's what its about..

Definitely want to use a road worthy set of spindles/hubs. Who wants to trundle down the road on the shoulder doing way under the 'flow'. That was one of the things wrong on the MTD series (Torybilt, Yardman, White, etc., etc., etc....). Limited tow speed.

Harry K

The rear wheels from most any FWD car or van should work. Best to use those type of spindles. Not sure you would want springs. The splitter would be bouncing when you toss on some big logs. I went with 15 inch tires and no springs on my old splitter. Made it nice for going through the woods and over them stumps. Find something with a standard bolt pattern and you can always find bearings and rims for it.

Lot of good ideas on here. Make it right.

I built my own axle with a set of spindles and hubs purchased off of ebay. I went with a 165r15 tire(had some new ones sitting in the garage). I decided to rigid mount. Suspension would've been nice for towing, but a PIA with a large log on the log lift. I'm happy with the setup. Only thing I don't like is there is too much tongue weight. I wanted to be away from the area where the log is being split but be close enough so I could steady the wood until ram made contact, so I had to push the axle back. I might just put a tool box on the back of the splitter and throw a maul and some wedges in there just in case. It should take some weight off the tongue.

i built mine on a boat trailer

H.jpg

I built my own axle with a set of spindles and hubs purchased off of ebay. I went with a 165r15 tire(had some new ones sitting in the garage). I decided to rigid mount. Suspension would've been nice for towing, but a PIA with a large log on the log lift. I'm happy with the setup. Only thing I don't like is there is too much tongue weight. I wanted to be away from the area where the log is being split but be close enough so I could steady the wood until ram made contact, so I had to push the axle back. I might just put a tool box on the back of the splitter and throw a maul and some wedges in there just in case. It should take some weight off the tongue.

I'm sure you could add some tractor weights or the like to help with the tongue weight. I probably will have mine set up like yours but my reservoir will hang off the back, hopefully taking all the tongue weight with it.

Lots of great options shown in this thread on axles..which one to choose now? At my disposal right now is a ford f100 rear axle with tires, a set of spindles/hubs/rims but will need bearings/tires and a caravan axle from the person I bought my reservoir tanks for $60 it will need tires. Hitting the scrap yard tomorrow, rain rain stay away, to look for a beam and other needed metals :blob2:

Brian

Back