Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the PNW there are 5 states. Oregon, Wash, BC, Klondike, and Alaska.

Adironcdacks have 6 million acres, you say 40% is farms and town, I say that is wrong. It's almost all woods. Don't give us Hillary Clinton statistics.

Adirondacks is the biggest region of unspoiled forest east of the Rockies. Bigger by far than any park outside Alaska. And its' all woods so don't give me any of this farmland crap who farms in the Adirndacks, the only thing you can farm up here is logs.

I think you took that the wrong way, and maybe some others also. My point was that there is ALOT of trees elsewhere also. The ADK is larger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky, and Everglades National Parks combined. I actually have 2 guys working for me from oregon, they like it here. They do laugh about the mountains though, hehehehehehe. However, they are climbing the 46 here, and they say this is about 1000 times more miserable than climbing out there. I was only saying things are different here, not better, not worse. I also said I'd like to go out west to see it all. I know you've travelled in northern, NY. So what your saying is you spent YEARS here to see it all. There's no way you travelled through 6 million acres of area in a couple weeks or even a couple months. I go all over the daks all the time and I still go to new places several times a year. My buddie's are from somewhere about 40 miles from Portland, can't remember, but they're favorite climb out there is Thielson. It's around 10,000'. Look all over the net at the ascent. Whiteface SKI mountain, here in the daks, has an ascent of 3550'. 3550' of vert is ALOT. There's maybe 10 ski slopes out west that have more ascent than Whiteface here. So where's all that steepness??? It's really all relevant dude. To climb the 14,000' peaks you start at 10 or 11,000'. My buddy from Alaska laughs at what you guys call peaks out west, the same as you laughing at ours here in the east... We all love where we're from. It's got good and bad in all places. I haven't locked my house or taken my keys out of the ignition in 6 yrs. How many people on here live in a place like that???? Can't be all that bad eh?

:cheers: :clap:

You obviously know it all cause I always thought that the cimbs on Mount Rainier Camp Muir route 9000ft elevation gain, Success Cleaver 11400 ft elevation gain, Emmons glacier 10000ft elevation gain all started well below 10000ft or maybe I didnt realize Mount rainier was 21000 ft tall. Always thought it was 14410 (or 14411 depending on who you believe) Thanks for letting me know the real story. I have a friend and nephew in Alaska too so neenerneener. If your gonna preach at us about being know it all maybe you should check your facts first.

Yeah the Los Angeles production companies are making a axeman TV show about loggers in the PNW because the NYC production companies don't care about logging in the ANE (Atlantic North East) because you can't find any bagels, you can't buy your nagging JAP wife a $2000 Louis Vuitton purse, and you can't find a synogogue anywhere up here. The film school grads in NY would go to the Adirondacks and say, "Thea's nothing heah, thea's nothing to do up heah. You can't get a bagel, you can't get a cup of cwoffee up hea." New York city people are the embarrassment of NY, they are pathetic.

Amen! Besides, when did they let u guys log in parks? We don't! Yellowstone just rottted away! Didn't know BC and yukon were states?

We log in the Adirondacks big time, it's a park. It's because here we only log the big trees. Anything less than 15 inches in diameter we don't touch. Leave the young trees and drag out the old stuff. I see in this TV show they clear cut. WHY? What good is a little tree under 15 inches? We leave that little stuff behind and wait 30 years, go back in and those trees are 3 feet in diameter. Out west they clear cut, why do they do that? It makes no sense. After we log here and take only the big trees, you look back and its all still deep woods, and its still a park and home for bears, moose, and deer. Clear cutting is very destructive and really stupid. What is wrong with you west coast people.

And the Adirondacks are 5000 feet tall and they go from sea level (Lake Champlaine, Hudson River) up to 5000 in a short distance, so we have lots of places that go 5000 foot up. Just look at Gore Mountain from the Hudson, it's a 5000 foot incline in under a mile, so dont' give me any of your crap.

We log in the Adirondacks big time, it's a park. It's because here we only log the big trees. Anything less than 15 inches in diameter we don't touch. Leave the young trees and drag out the old stuff. I see in this TV show they clear cut. WHY? What good is a little tree under 15 inches? We leave that little stuff behind and wait 30 years, go back in and those trees are 3 feet in diameter. Out west they clear cut, why do they do that? It makes no sense. After we log here and take only the big trees, you look back and its all still deep woods, and its still a park and home for bears, moose, and deer. Clear cutting is very destructive and really stupid. What is wrong with you west coast people.

And the Adirondacks are 5000 feet tall and they go from sea level (Lake Champlaine, Hudson River) up to 5000 in a short distance, so we have lots of places that go 5000 foot up. Just look at Gore Mountain from the Hudson, it's a 5000 foot incline in under a mile, so dont' give me any of your crap.

My driveway has an incline of 8 inches.

We have a hill in town that is over 100' tall.

The local city dump has grown to almost 200' tall, it is becomming that highest peak around here.

Connecticut, it may not be the PNW, or even the ANE, but it's a nice place to live.

In the PNW there are 5 states. Oregon, Wash, BC, Klondike, and Alaska.

Adironcdacks have 6 million acres, you say 40% is farms and town, I say that is wrong. It's almost all woods. Don't give us Hillary Clinton statistics.

Adirondacks is the biggest region of unspoiled forest east of the Rockies. Bigger by far than any park outside Alaska. And its' all woods so don't give me any of this farmland crap who farms in the Adirndacks, the only thing you can farm up here is logs.

I'm just really curious, where is the State of BC?????

Check

Cedar, you've named just a few that have that kind of gain. Actually, for facts only, hawaii has the largest vertical ascent for climbing a mountain. The ascent is at 14K'. It's not very many you can climb with that kind of ascent out there. And to even climb those large ones you still don't have to trek 10 miles just to get to the peak before you begin your climb. My buddy climbed Rainier, said it was h3LL!!!! But only because of the oxygen factor. For every step he said it felt like running a marathon. Coming down he said was a blast though, all on his butt with his wife sliding behind him... And that's just it, it's different. He didn't have to wade through waist deep mud, or deal with black flies eating him alive, or hike 25 miles round trip to do the peak like here in the daks. It's open climbing above like 11k' I believe. Here's a couple pics of a couple climbs. Don't laugh, it is funny though. My brother's and my famous pose at the top of Algonquin. We put on about 23 miles that day with 30lb packs over the course of 13 hours I'd say. We were a bloodgeoned mess. TRAILLESS peaks can kill ya, lol. Anyone would like it here. The worst thing about this area is the rude people that move here from the city. Everyone I've met from up here is real nice. Everyone I've EVER met from the PNW or out west is VERY polite, considerate and good people. Which is another reason alot of us up here get offensive when referred to in the tone of the usual people from the city. The other bad thing is the -30 we get sometimes. I've been checking, we've actually had quite a few days here this winter that it was colder here than in Alaska if you can believe that. How horrible is that??? I still wanna go glacier climbing sometime though...

Nice pictures

Cisco, I thought you said you hadn't been to Oregon, how did you get those pictures?

Oh yeah, we do have mountains out here...

West

Jack, They can clearcut because they're growth rate is about 50x's what ours is here. Their average growth ring is prolly about 6 inches out there, we're lucky to have say 1inch rings here. They have had a VERY rough winter this year with floods and ice though. They just don't get the cold like we do. Then again, we ain't logging mountain tops though guy. I know I'd like to get out there and spend some time with those guys though... Would you eh? Super nice bunch of guys with a ton of DIFFERENT knowledge than we have here... Like when I was down south and they told me about deer hunting. I laughed when I saw their deer dude. I was like, "ummmmmm, my dog is bigger than those deer!!! Those are cats or some other varmint!!!" The west is a great place bro, they don't have Hillary Clinton to deal with, lmao... I don't think they'd allow her around there, they must have something going right for them... heheheheheheh:clap:

Cisco my redneck New York brother, out in California they have a vertical climb from Death Valley to Whitney Peak of 15,000 feet in about 80 miles. Yeah, from -300 to 14,500. But that's nothing in Alaska goes from ocean to Denali that's 20,000 in I don't know, 100 miles?

Trees don't grow any faster out there than here. We have white pines grow from seed to 120 feet in 50 years.

Cisco my redneck New York brother, out in California they have a vertical climb from Death Valley to Whitney Peak of 15,000 feet in about 80 miles. Yeah, from -300 to 14,500. But that's nothing in Alaska goes from ocean to Denali that's 20,000 in I don't know, 100 miles?

Trees don't grow any faster out there than here. We have white pines grow from seed to 120 feet in 50 years.

The largest trees in the world grow in the PNW. The climate is perfect for growing large softwoods. The rain and lack of severe cold make it happen. They clearcut in the PNW because the forest is like a big wheatfield, only harvested at 40 years instead of one. The big trees are gone or protected, what is left is the land to grow the ultimate renewable resource.

They clearcut in the PNW because the forest is like a big wheatfield, only harvested at 40 years instead of one. The big trees are gone or protected, what is left is the land to grow the ultimate renewable resource.

But why bother with the little ones? They aren't good for anything and they don't load them. Why even cut them at all?

AXMen

Well I really liked the show and think everyone has been very clear on what they want to see on the show. Yes I would like to see more chain saw action and more detailed info on there equipment. Like who maintains the saws , what thype of engine is running that modified tank now, surely not the original engine in it now. Also when the show begins and shows one of the loggers driving his way up the mountain in the dark early morning there are logging trucks heading down, who the heck loaded them already or were they left over from the day before. More explanation is needed on everything, they are taking for granite that everyone knows what the heck is going on. I think if they want to make the show better the producers should visit our website and read our threads. It is still very interesting and shows how dangerous the job is. :chainsaw:

The state of BC is north of the Province of Warshington.

Seriously, I've worked around logging here, both east and west sides, Oregon, Arizona, and in the Mideast...Wisconsin. I returned to here. Not meaning any disrespect, but, it was just boring anywhere else. I'd just go out, paint a few trees, check on skid trails and the ground etc. Here, I get to run away from things when down marking out corridor trees (that I missed originally) where the crew is working, give hooktenders a rest..they don't have to carry stuff when they hike and we look at the tail trees, etc. that they'll need, I work on the federal holidays like Columbus day, because the crew is trying to beat the snow. I get to see rigging fits for entertainment. There's a humor out here that I haven't found elsewhere. Kind of a gallows, dry type. The Far Side cartoon sums it up. Two loggers sitting in a stump field eating lunch, one is saying, It don't get much better than this.

Yup, they are showing clearcutting. But I work on National Forest and we can't get a clearcut rammed through, it gets appealed and stuck in court. So we thin. And you can thin with yarders. You can thin yarding downhill. It takes some planning but some of the operators are getting quite good at it. When the market started tanking, and crews getting laid off, one company kept their hooktenders on and had them all working on a thinning. Talk about a nice job! They were downhilling on 90% ground and doing a nice, careful job. I wish you could see them at work on that hill. Also the cutters. They had old windfalls to work in. I had a rough day of marking out the corridors on it. I hope they'll be back, as planned, in May!
So, gologit, I'm putting on weight with this lull in logging up here. Have you got a weight loss program about to start up? I talked to a cutter who also was getting rounder. He had started riding his bicycle in desperation.

Back