Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only thing, trekking through about 3+ feet of snow makes things a bit different here in the NE. I was cutting logs last week and couldn't believe how deep it was trying to get through. Snow was up to my waist in most places and trying to run was he(double hockey sticks)!!!!! Anybody else having this same problem in the NE??? Man it's been a rough year.

:cheers: eh?

Oh yeah. Good thing I don't depend on wood for living. Haven't been anywhere with the tractor of 3-4 weeks. Except...for the roads I have ridden on before and packed down. Too damm hard for me to wallow through the snow and dig around trees.

Was out yesterday, on the pretense of "seeing what was what". Definitely have to wear snowshoes. But even with them it is really bad cause of the hard crust on top. My poor dog was running "heck bent for re-election" all over the place. Loved it! Until...he hit the top of a steep hill. He slid about 100"+ down. Almost hit some trees....His expression was one of "oooh S..t!

I too started sliding down the hill. Took off shoes, and could not find the bottom, (ground), with my feet. The depth plus the hard crust definitly makes for hard going.

So, gologit, I'm putting on weight with this lull in logging up here. Have you got a weight loss program about to start up? I talked to a cutter who also was getting rounder. He had started riding his bicycle in desperation.

Well, we already have somebody to paint trees and snarl at the rigging crew. We hired a kid from the California School for the Terminally Grumpy for the job. If he doesn't work out there's a waiting list for the job.

How does rolling chokers on a helicopter landing sound? Or maybe bumping knots on a 5 specie sort...on a really big landing. Lots of running involved.
They don't pay much, there's no chance for advancement, and the work isn't steady. You will lose weight, though. I guarantee that. :cheers:

From henceforth you shall be known as joggerjackazz! I'm impressed with your ignorance! Why clearcut? Because we have to you moron! The majority of timber management out here is even-aged! Why ? Fires! Fire plays a huge role (it used to) on forest dynamics here! Look at Yellowstone! You think the timber that growing after the fire is of a different age? Try deviating from that and see what happens? Make partial cuts and what happens the majority of the time? The wind blows the remaining stuff over! The ground out here needs scarification before any planting can be done! Ever seen trees growing under 5ft. of slash? That why we burn the stuff! Try burning a partial cut and see what happens? Most times it burns too hot and kills the residuel timber! What good is that? Don't burn it and reprod is marginal at best? This type of management mimics what nature has been doing for millenia! Next time you go into a gun fight, bring more than a set of finger nail clippers! Do us westerners a favor, and stay in your beloved 'daks! By the way, the type of management your talking about is called Diameter Cut and is no longer viewed as sound!

From henceforth you shall be known as joggerjackazz! I'm impressed with your ignorance! Why clearcut? Because we have to you moron! The majority of timber management out here is even-aged! Why ? Fires! Fire plays a huge role (it used to) on forest dynamics here! Look at Yellowstone! You think the timber that growing after the fire is of a different age? Try deviating from that and see what happens? Make partial cuts and what happens the majority of the time? The wind blows the remaining stuff over! The ground out here needs scarification before any planting can be done! Ever seen trees growing under 5ft. of slash? That why we burn the stuff! Try burning a partial cut and see what happens? Most times it burns too hot and kills the residuel timber! What good is that? Don't burn it and reprod is marginal at best? This type of management mimics what nature has been doing for millenia! Next time you go into a gun fight, bring more than a set of finger nail clippers! Do us westerners a favor, and stay in your beloved 'daks! By the way, the type of management your talking about is called Diameter Cut and is no longer viewed as sound!

You made some good points, but some of us grew up with them teaching us in school that clear cutting is bad and selective cutting works. So while some of us may seem ignorant and meddlesome there is a reason for the way we think. I've reset my thinking, even clearcut some of my own place last spring, but due to what I was taught when I was a kid in school it is really hard to do it and not feel that I'm raping the land.

The point is try to understand where a guy is coming from before you flame him for his opinions.

So all you had to say is you have forest fires that burn everything and all the regrowth is the same age. You can leave all the rest of the stuff for when I meet you in a bar and send your nose through your neck you piece of ####.

We don't have forest fires here. We have this thing you probably never heard of called rain.

The reason we don't clear cut here contrary to what the west coast retard Green#### thinks is not because of anything they teach in school, or any political claptrap, it's because the small stuff isn't worth anything and it's not worth the time to cut it, our hardwood forests have 100 small trees for every tree that's worth the cost of cutting. Make that 500 if you include the saplings. The amount of labor to clearcut would be 100 times the labor of just pulling the valuable wood. I sell all my wood to a paper company and they don't want the small stuff. Even the firewood guys don't want the small stuff. Firewood guys think any tree under 8 inches is worthless, too much slash to deal with, way too much work. People who want their land cleared have to pay me $3000 an acre to clear it if I keep the wood, and sometimes I don't even get much good wood out of it, the rest we pile up and burn on the guys land. If he wants us to cart it out that costs him another $2000 an acre. So $5000 an acre is the reason we don't clearcut. Very rarely if a guy has old trees and lots of big ones, maybe some good cherry and oak, hard maple, we clear it for free and keep the wood. But never ever do we pay for wood if we have to clear the land no matter how many big oaks he has, they always pay us. I hear out west loggers have to pay for their wood. We get paid twice, once to cut it and once when we sell it. The only time we pay for wood is when they allow us to come onto their property and take only the good logs that we want, and leave the tops and slash on the guys land to rot away, leaving him with a mess of leaners and widowmakers but it all rots down in 5 years. Once again, Green#### is a moron and google#### is just as bad. West coast nancy boys probably.

Last edited:
So all you had to say is you have forest fires that burn everything and all the regrowth is the same age. You can leave all the rest of the stuff for when I meet you in a bar and send your nose through your neck you piece of ####.

We don't have forest fires here. We have this thing you probably never heard of called rain.

So much for me trying to be a diplomat and try to stop the flame notes. :)

How come we're arguing about who has the best woods? Good grief, as if Stihl vs Husky is not enough, now this. Who really cares?

:sucks:

You said clearcutting is stupid, well i guess you found out it has its place! Guess your education is starting? Yea, I just love those tough who make threats know a confrontation will never take place! Yea, your bad! You should be a truck driver making threats over the mike! YOU ARE A CULL!

i'm done arguing! I feel my IQ is dropping evertime I communicate w/you! Hope u got neutered in time to spare the rest of us!

Apparently this character didn't read what they were harvesting

BLOW-DOWN SITE == RANDOM-SIZED TIMBER

This is the first episode of the show. Give it time.

LOL @ telling PNW'ers that they have never heard of rain. GTFO of here.

You said clearcutting is stupid, well i guess you found out it has its place! Guess your education is starting? Yea, I just love those tough who make threats know a confrontation will never take place! Yea, your bad! You should be a truck driver making threats over the mike! YOU ARE A CULL!

I asked a simple question, and you spewed a lot of evil spench. I only asked why you clearcut because it made no sense, I was not aware that you don't have any undergrowth due to forest fires. If you worked the timer out here you would have the same question. We get forest fires about once every, well I've been doing this 40 years and never seen one. They had one in Kentucky about 20 years ago that's all I know. We don't get them. State fire rangers are as lonely as the Maytag repairman.

Cedar, you've named just a few that have that kind of gain. Actually, for facts only, hawaii has the largest vertical ascent for climbing a mountain. The ascent is at 14K'. It's not very many you can climb with that kind of ascent out there. And to even climb those large ones you still don't have to trek 10 miles just to get to the peak before you begin your climb. My buddy climbed Rainier, said it was h3LL!!!! But only because of the oxygen factor. For every step he said it felt like running a marathon. Coming down he said was a blast though, all on his butt with his wife sliding behind him... And that's just it, it's different. He didn't have to wade through waist deep mud, or deal with black flies eating him alive, or hike 25 miles round trip to do the peak like here in the daks. It's open climbing above like 11k' I believe. Here's a couple pics of a couple climbs. Don't laugh, it is funny though. My brother's and my famous pose at the top of Algonquin. We put on about 23 miles that day with 30lb packs over the course of 13 hours I'd say. We were a bloodgeoned mess. TRAILLESS peaks can kill ya, lol. Anyone would like it here. The worst thing about this area is the rude people that move here from the city. Everyone I've met from up here is real nice. Everyone I've EVER met from the PNW or out west is VERY polite, considerate and good people. Which is another reason alot of us up here get offensive when referred to in the tone of the usual people from the city. The other bad thing is the -30 we get sometimes. I've been checking, we've actually had quite a few days here this winter that it was colder here than in Alaska if you can believe that. How horrible is that??? I still wanna go glacier climbing sometime though...

I have bigger Mt's out my front door.

Last edited:
I was in S Cal till my kid was 18, every year we would head to BC (Valhalla PArk, before it got crowded,before it was on most maps). It reminded me of upstate NY where I grew up, she loved it.

Anybody besides Sawtroll and I like the opening song, and thought it fit?
Rob

Latest posts

Back