[B]Loc-tite question[/B]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i use loctite blue on almost all fasteners. Especially important on steel or stainless steel threading into magnesium or aluminum. Also important on stainless to stainless. The loctite helps as a thread lubricant to help guard against galling.

Just remember your torque values will "change". For example: when a manual says "100 ft-lb" this is either a dry or a lubricated torque value and you need to know which it is. Torque specifications are generally reduced by 25% when used with a lubricant and I consider loctite a lubricant. OK sorry i am rambling...

Blue is the usual type of Loctite used on chainsaw fasteners. Usually 1 good drop on the threads is enough. Red is a stronger grade,not used very often except in instances where the fastener is very important or is known to constantly come loose when using lesser strength Loctite. For a while Stihl used too much red type Loctite on the muffler screws of the 064 and the screws were difficult to remove without breaking them off. In such cases where the Loctite doesn't want to release you simply heat the area hot with a propane torch and the Loctite will release. Purple is weaker than blue Loctite,and green is one of the strongest,no use on saws,I've used green as a cheap fix to secure a bearing that has become loose in a worn housing. Loctite definitely has it's uses in saws,just don't use too much...

Blue is for screws that need to be removed. Red is for screws and nuts that need to stay in and require heat to remove. Red has different grades for different bolt sizes. Green is generally a retaining compound to use where voids need to be filled but 270 (green) is a permanent thread locker which requires 250 deg C heat to remove it. I believe the shop manuals indicate where and which one needs to be used under the heading of tightening torques. The 026 / 024 manual I have calls for 242 (blue) and 270 (green) thread lockers.
Henkel owns Loctite and has technical data sheets on line.
Pretty much what Trappermike said.

Red loctite in chainsaw applications does not require heat for removal, just a good whack to loosen the bond. There are numerous types and specs of Loctite, have a read of the application guide in your bored for a few nights.

Latest posts

Back