B&S 8HP Engine Oil Leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sundance

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My engine for the log splitter is leaking oil badly. Seems to be between the two parts of the case. I think it's termed the sump cover. Anything special I need to know to swap it out?

If it is just a case cover than not much. Make sure your mating surface is clean before you put it back together. I usually used a razorblade and acetone. If it is a case half that needs to come apart and get resealed that's a whole different box of worms. If it has a gasket I almost never using a sealant. For case halves I always use Yamabond 4. Make sure it cures a bit before filling the motor with oil if you are using a sealant. I'm pretty picky on my sealant as I have pulled motors apart with pieces of silicone in oil passages.

If it is just a case cover than not much. Make sure your mating surface is clean before you put it back together. I usually used a razorblade and acetone. If it is a case half that needs to come apart and get resealed that's a whole different box of worms. If it has a gasket I almost never using a sealant. For case halves I always use Yamabond 4. Make sure it cures a bit before filling the motor with oil if you are using a sealant. I'm pretty picky on my sealant as I have pulled motors apart with pieces of silicone in oil passages.

Thanks, I haven't started into it yet but I'm pretty sure its the gasketed cover so hopefully pretty straight forward.

Mine blew out the gasket, I found out the ring gaps on the piston all lined up pressurizing the crankcase. I installed new rings staggering the ring gaps and put a new case gasket with pro seal silicone, another 15 years of use.

Took it apart. Gasket on the cover was shot. The Lovejoy coupling allen screw was frozen (after only 20 years in SW PA) and wouldn't come out. I had to drag the coupling off with a gear puller. A new gasket (and coupling half) and it appears ready for service.

Anyone care to offer ideas on getting the setscrew out of the old Lovejoy? Rusted /frozen in place. I stripped it out trying to loosen. Drilled into it but can't get deep enough for screw extractor. It's hard enough I'm having no luck drilling deeper now that I'm at the bottom of the recess.

Maybe drill it right out then re-tap? Would be a pretty small tap though. Or just buy a new one, don't think they are overly costly. If you can find one close.

Maybe drill it right out then re-tap? Would be a pretty small tap though. Or just buy a new one, don't think they are overly costly. If you can find one close.

I already replaced it($17.00). I was just hoping to recover the old one. Don't think I can drill it out with the bits I've got, probably not worth the cost of a bit that could drill it.

Just thought someone might have a clever and cheap idea.

If you can weld a nut on it usually that seems to work better than an easy out. I do that more than using a easy out. Application dependent however.

Try a left hand drill bit. A lot of times the broken or stripped bolt or screw will come out with the bit. Heat will also help.

Back