[B]Shop - Saw Vise or Mount

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HighGuy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Found some vises shown on a thread a while back, searched a bit tonight, but can't find any.

Any shots of ones built ... and/or bought that I can get an idea from.
First thoughts are a bicycle type setup or maybe a large heim joint off some old farm equipment. Thought I could drill then tap into the cover/socket for a bolt with a lever welded on top to hand tighten and lock at the right angle. Screw the threaded end into the sleeve(tie rod style) which would mount "to be determined" on the table or screw into an optional floor stand. Then, weld a plate along the upper rod and make 1" long slots, 10-11mm tall, to accept all the different bar stud sizes and distances.

I have initial thoughts, like everybody. Just looking for feedback("Will something like that be strong enough to hold when torqued?") and hopefully some pictures of what's already out there. And I know there has to be a few that have been trying to perfect one for years. Or have?

Already manufactured, I know has got to be expensive, and building one is going to be "just plain fun" and for me on the cheap. I usually just work on a bench, but thought sometimes this would really be nice to have around.

So, let's see'um!

Watchers: Get your popcorn and drool rags out!

If this old news? Beat me like the horse and send me packin' to the old threads! :deadhorse::check:

I met a fellow saw builder/repairer who had a bicycle type saw vice (it used the bar studs to hold the saw) of his own design, and it was done quite well. He was very secretive about it and definitely didn't want me taking any pics, it used some sort of double tube clamp for the swivels. I thought of building one for myself, but I'm happy and used to just working on them on the bench.

Thanks Jerry & Tom!

Jerry, I can see why you knew. Nice job! - on your "powerhead holding device"!

Those are some ideas I was looking for.

The wealth of tinkering minds.

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back