[b]stihl 024 rookie porting and re-build watcha think ?[/b]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopmistchopper

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I,ve had this saw for a few years now (12), I got it in trade for something way back when. I only used this saw maybe 20 times in all those years and relied on my 038 magnum and 066 red light for the bulk of my work. This saw was tired, dirty, and in desperate need for attention :dizzy:. Sooo here we go, tore it all down,tried my hand at a little port work for the first time, intake, exhaust and widen the transfers toward the intake hopefully!!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Ya gotta start somewhere. Personally, I'd start that saw with an air hose and a little Purple Power!!
Read up on timing numbers. You can gain a little by what you have described, but the real gains are left inside if you don't read your numbers.

Maybe just a few years of goop. I didn't take any before pics of the jug and piston, because I wasn't planning on doing anything other than cleaning up the casting flaws and then........ CAD struck with a vengance

Intake and exhaust ports
attachment.php

attachment.php

I had a slight slip of the hand, didn't gouge the jug just scratched the coating, blended it with dome 1200 grit I had left over from my sons pinewood derby days. Live and learn I guess.

Outside of intake
attachment.php

the piston windows

attachment.php

wasn't really sure how much I should take off here so I went conservitive, I have read through more post than my brain is capable of holding.

I was supprised how restricted the muffler was on this older machine. I did not get any pics but I ported the outside of the exhaust port to match the gasket and opened up the muffler to match.

before
attachment.php

attachment.php

Ya gotta start somewhere. Personally, I'd start that saw with an air hose and a little Purple Power!!
Read up on timing numbers. You can gain a little by what you have described, but the real gains are left inside if you don't read your numbers.

Still need to learn the degree wheel, I'm working on that been doing a lot of reading. Purple power? HELL NO, this puppy got a good dose of EASY OFF OVEN CLEANER !!!

After the saw was spotless, quite a few hours just to do that, and "porting" was done to the best of my ability, so far, I put the saw back togeather with new 42 mm Caber rings I got from Northwood Saw. Amesome customer service by the way, if your on the Right coast they ship faster and cheaper than Bailey's. Don't get me wrong Bailey's is great, just a little expensive on shipping to the east coast.

Got the saw running today, I initally set the carb screws at 1 1/2 turns out each, I figured I would rather have it too rich than lean. got it warmed up and tuned it so it's 4 stroking in the cut. I was Really impressed with how this came out, feels like quite a bit more power, the rpm's seem to be up there and seem to hold pretty well in the cut. I'm a big guy who tends to be more than a little HEAVY HANDED. I'm going to try to get a vid or 2 up maybe

video if it works
My son's first attempt with cookie cutting, lol he likes firewood cutting better
[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/hellboundhillbilly73?ob=5#p/a/u/1/P9Ru_XsZKOU[/video]

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/hellboundhillbilly73?ob=5#p/a/u/0/n2ScAP9CCx4[/video]

That is 12 inch wet hard maple

Last edited:
Thank you

I would like to thank blsnelling, and Mastermind, amongst many others for posting all the info that they do, without their willingness to share their outstanding work, amatures like me wouldn't have the testicular fortitude to even attempt a job like this. I am very pleased with how my first attempt worked out, I got some real gains out of what I did, I have ALOT to learn but at least I did it. I look foward to everybodys input and criticism. I look foward to running my "new" saw as it breaks in. Thanks again Brad, Randy, and all others who share on this great forum.
chopmistchopper

oh yeah, my son is pissed, the beat up old 024 just WHOOPED his ms290 lol. 18 inch on the 024, 16 inch on the 290 both with new chain same wood. I MEAN PISSED !!!!! :censored::angry2: I told him as soon as his warranty is up he's gettin muff modded that should help

good to hear from sombody in R.I. other than me. I thought I was all alone. I recognize chopmist in your screen name. good job on your saw! thats when stihl built'em good

good to hear from sombody in R.I. other than me. I thought I was all alone. I recognize chopmist in your screen name. good job on your saw! thats when stihl built'em good

Thanks ms, yeah they are great little saws. Other than my son's ms290 it's the only non German saw in my garage it was made in Va. The other 2 say Germany and West Germany lol. It's good to hear from another local, does 2 saw nuts equal a enough for a R.I. GTG

Back