• ArboristSite has decided that due to the abusive interactions users are having with each other in the political forum, we will no longer be providing a place to talk politics on this forum. Any political posts will be deleted once discovered or reported to us. We are sorry for this inconvenience.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
www.harvesterbars.com

[B] The Upside[/B] COVID-19

square1

square1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Politics aside (we won't know the actual impact for some time) what good has been wrought from this crisis. Life lessons? Wins - small & large?

My first thought is a larger segment of our future society will be prepared to go longer than a day or three before running out of basic needs.
The other day I asked my nearly 90 Y.O. mom if she needed anything. Her response "I have been prepared for 6 months of nothing being available since Y2K. Take care of yourself. "

Edit: Can't edit the post title to remove the ['B]tag[/B]

Training Wheels

Training Wheels

Sometimes nothing can beat a real cool hand
I'd say it's given me some time to rest and be introspective, look at some of the important things in my life. I've come to the conclusion that I've got a lot of things sitting around that are holding me back/taking up space in my life my house (Including chainsaws and other equipment:cold:). I really enjoy running, talking to my pops, miss my friends and enjoy my job.

I don't mean to sound like Marie Kondo but she's making some sense these days.

Best,

~TW

square1

square1

Addicted to ArboristSite
The "Stay at Home" order is being credited with a minimal number of injuries and zero deaths from a massive tornado that tore through a mostly empty Jonesboro, AK busines district.

unclemoustache

unclemoustache

My 'stache is bigger than yours.
With more people home and bored, lots of my neighbors are out walking, so I've been having some great social time (from at least 6 ft distance).

A guy who used to live in my house some 30 years ago stopped by. He was just driving by and I was outside at the time, so we chatted for quite a while.

I invited him in for a tour if he was brave enough, but he declined, and I told him to certainly stop by when this was all over and we'd show him the house and he could tell us his stories.

I wonder if people will be more inclined or less inclined to be sociable after this.

old CB

old CB

ArboristSite Guru
For far too many people there will be no upside. But it is what it is.

On the other hand, Unc brings up something I've noticed over the years. Whether it was blizzard, flood, or some other thing that shuts things down, you wind up out in the neighborhood visiting with people you haven't seen or spoken with in ages. It's a very cool thing.

During the flood of 2013--who thinks flood up in the mountains? But we got 15" of rain, basically a year's rainfall in 5 days, and you can't imagine the havoc, roads washed out, impossible to get to town except by going two hours around, electricity down for a week. Anyway, people came out to visit. Someone has peanut butter, and someone else has a shower running off their generator. It's very cool. A neighbor who lived in NJ during hurricane Sandy remembered the same thing happening there.

We're going out for a walk this afternoon with neighbors--all six foot apart.

MontanaResident

MontanaResident

A Stihl Fanatic
Yeah I think it will boost community spirit a bit. At least I hope it will.
That and hopefully people will prepare for things like this in advance and learn to not be so reliant/dependent on the state to protect them.
How soon that people forget, that people forget.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
It's called evolution and has been going on since the first signs of life. Over 95% of all living things are extinct. Most went extinct long before man showed up. Mother nature is a cruel biotch.

cantoo

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Website
Visit site
Manufacturing is going to come back home. Many people are hoping that this little wake up call will reignite a few sparks and maybe some of the do gooders will let us build and make what we should be making instead of shipping raw goods out and then buying it back. Hopefully some politicians will stand up and support new manufacturing. Maybe some of these Chinese companies that are buying businesses in the US will slow down. I expect that there will be a lot of anti Chinese/ foreign buying going on. In Canada we've been in a "shop local" band wagon here for years and I think this will really give it a push forward. Not just with food but likely other things as well now. Now if only we could get rid of all the protestors who have nothing better to do. There are some good protesting but most is just crap. I also predict that slimebag lawyers are going to start coming out of the wood work and be looking for reasons to sue everyone and everybody for people contracting the virus, loosing jobs, houses whatever.

frank_

frank_

ArboristSite Guru
manufacturing would have come back home anyway if a carbon tax had been applied,
the fact that it costs peanuts to ship goods half way around the world is crazy,
"true" shipping costs would have made chinese imports the same price as home produced goods
but global warming was a "hoax" tho eh ;)

Whinbush

Whinbush

ArboristSite Guru
For far too many people there will be no upside. But it is what it is.

On the other hand, Unc brings up something I've noticed over the years. Whether it was blizzard, flood, or some other thing that shuts things down, you wind up out in the neighborhood visiting with people you haven't seen or spoken with in ages. It's a very cool thing.

During the flood of 2013--who thinks flood up in the mountains? But we got 15" of rain, basically a year's rainfall in 5 days, and you can't imagine the havoc, roads washed out, impossible to get to town except by going two hours around, electricity down for a week. Anyway, people came out to visit. Someone has peanut butter, and someone else has a shower running off their generator. It's very cool. A neighbor who lived in NJ during hurricane Sandy remembered the same thing happening there.

We're going out for a walk this afternoon with neighbors--all six foot apart.
I don’t think.Our governments thought this through, 6 Foot apart just doesn’t cut it.
For example, someone farts, you will smell that more than 6 Feet away,
same with someone spraying weeds, that stuff I can smell a hundred feet away,
same with a paint shop, I know when our neighbour is spraying a car half a mile away.

Now an air borne virus is no different.

In Ireland we are now being told, the virus can live on cardboard and paper,
no surprise there, surprised to hear it can live on plastic bags for up to an hour though.
Were now told this is what is helping spread the virus over larger distances.

If you really want to help not to spread the virus, stay away from people.

Whinbush

Whinbush

ArboristSite Guru
manufacturing would have come back home anyway if a carbon tax had been applied,
the fact that it costs peanuts to ship goods half way around the world is crazy,
"true" shipping costs would have made chinese imports the same price as home produced goods
but global warming was a "hoax" tho eh ;)
It’s long overdue, the Chinese don’t deserve our trade, they only tolerate the west because of
the money we send them. They are also too expensive now given the quality of goods they
produce.
Sure there are some very good manufacturers there, but there are better more ethical producers
to be found, why let our own countries die just to save a very questionable few dollars.
I think people have had their full of what China has to offer.

My most recent purchases excluded Chinese products, and I will continue to avoid them.

China are raking it in now, buying currencies cheap, that they will be selling us
back to pay the huge bills our countries will be left with because of this virus.

92utownxh

92utownxh

ArboristSite Operative
It's been weird in our town. Bloomington, IN. IU is shut down for the rest of the semester. Bars and restaurants are carryout only. I work for the city doing right of way permits and inspections. We're all still working, thankfully. I'm in town doing inspections for a few hours then working from home. It's so strange driving around town now. Last week I was at a traffic signal on one of the main streets overlooking downtown. 3 lanes, one way, noon, and not a single car as far as I could see.

A good thing is I've been able to do lots of work outside around home. Nowhere else to be.

Huskybill

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Almost like a horror movie? The town/city is vacant. Add some wind and blowing leaves the setting is perfect for what life was at one time. Are lives will be changed for ever. Welcome to the twilite zone,,,,,,,where’s Captain Kirk?

TheDarkLordChinChin

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
It’s long overdue, the Chinese don’t deserve our trade, they only tolerate the west because of
the money we send them. They are also too expensive now given the quality of goods they
produce.
Sure there are some very good manufacturers there, but there are better more ethical producers
to be found, why let our own countries die just to save a very questionable few dollars.
I think people have had their full of what China has to offer.

My most recent purchases excluded Chinese products, and I will continue to avoid them.

China are raking it in now, buying currencies cheap, that they will be selling us
back to pay the huge bills our countries will be left with because of this virus.
Anyone in your area tested positive yet?
No one in my area has yet.