Back at the Farmsaw , help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC Cole

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Due to some health issues and med adjustments the Farmsaw has been neglected. Briefly saw was running but not quite right ( dummy that I am ) decided that it could benefit , ( and I could learn) by takiing her apart and freshening things up a bit. Well I have learned quite a bit , found the fuel lines shot, replaced seals , learned to pressure and vacuum test crankcase and put an AM carb kit in the Tillotson ( which is where I may have messed up). Saw will crank and run ( 2 pulls with choke on then off fires 3 or 4 pulls) Smokes like a freight train does not want to low idle , have to adjust the L to 1/4 from bottom for it to keep a high idle. and it blows a spray of oil from the exhaust. Twice it suddenly sounded like it was cleaning up just before it ran out of fuel. The carb did not look bad before I put the kit in. I did refer to the parts diagram for the gaskets and diaphragms
I now have a OEM kit for the NLA carburetor. I also ordered the springs and Hi and Lo needles ( since I didn't know if I would ever find them again). I do have a parts saw with a carb on it.
Suggestions ? ( besides give up working on chainsaws lol)

Some of those tilly kits use a metering diaphragm that hooks onto the metering lever. If it's not hooked in, it'll flood like crazy leading to symptoms that you're describing. Here's a comparison of the 2 styles.
View attachment 805984
Yes I have the one that hooks and was very careful to hook it. Just now pulled the carb off the part saw. Pulled on it till I got gas and it with the choke on. Pulled a few more times then pulled the plug it was wet.. dried it off cleared the cylinder. I am going to try a few more times. But since this great weather I'm going motorcycle riding.I'll work on the saw again when it starts raining. Which is likely tomorrow.
I'm kind of scared of the aftermarket kit. But wanted to exhaust all other possibilities before I used the OEM kit that I just got.

your carb needs to hold fuel pressure. Using your pump pressurize the fuel inlet to 7psi and drop the carb into a cut of water. Odds are that you'll find bubbles in the venturi.

Some of those tilly kits use a metering diaphragm that hooks onto the metering lever. If it's not hooked in, it'll flood like crazy leading to symptoms that you're describing. Here's a comparison of the 2 styles.
View attachment 805984

Well,

You sir may have just helped me figure out my problem with a saw rebuild issue[emoji15].

thank you[emoji38]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Empty the bar oil tank, then pull a vac test on the cylinder, the crankcase gasket between the two may be comprised.
Hmmm, I did the crankcase pressure and vacuum testing, but didn't try that. I put the carb from the parts saw on and it seemed to run the same as with the original carb. I will try that. Thanks

Hmmm, I did the crankcase pressure and vacuum testing, but didn't try that. I put the carb from the parts saw on and it seemed to run the same as with the original carb. I will try that. Thanks
A saw that is smoking heavily , that is of modular construction with adjoining oil tank , always a possibility, empty the oil and leave the cover off during the test..

Yes I have the one that hooks and was very careful to hook it. Just now pulled the carb off the part saw. Pulled on it till I got gas and it with the choke on. Pulled a few more times then pulled the plug it was wet.. dried it off cleared the cylinder. I am going to try a few more times. But since this great weather I'm going motorcycle riding.I'll work on the saw again when it starts raining. Which is likely tomorrow.
I'm kind of scared of the aftermarket kit. But wanted to exhaust all other possibilities before I used the OEM kit that I just got.

bike pics?
i didnt like the china rk23 kits [2] i tryed. one worked, one didnt.
back to oe fer me.

Some kits I have seen have an incorrect pump side diaphragm that leaves the impulse chamber open to the incoming fuel, the fuel can run right down the impulse passage/line to the cylinder or crankcase.

Back