Back in the Saddle...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GASoline71

Mr. Nice Guy
Reaction score
I was part of a cuttin' crew yesterday for a small clearing operation on 25 acres. Mostly Doug Fir, Hemlock, and a lot of Alder... myself and one other cutter were the 2 doin' the fallin' work. First time I have had a saw in wood in over a year since my back injury.

It felt great to have the pockets of my Carhartt's full of wood chips again. :)

The guy I was workin' with had an awesome Husqvarna 281XP that ran like a top. I was runnin' my 044 with the 28" ES bar and full skip chain. He was runnin' the exact same length and chain But it was a Windsor speed-tip and Oregon full skip.

We both made great time through the wood as the 2 saws really complimented each other. We swapped saws for a few spars and that 281XP is really a cool saw. Since it is 10cc's larger than my 044 it really pulled that 28" bar and chain combo. We were in some 30" dbh Doug's and the 281 was the saw to have. It's been awhile since I have had a a series Husqvarna in my hands.

I have cut down a lot of trees that big with my 044... but the 281 was so much fun to bury in those big trees. My favorite Husqvarna is still the 372XP... but the older 2 series Husqvarnas are great old saws...

It was good to be back out there... I'm pretty sore today. Been awhile since i packed a saw around all day long... but nothin' beats the smell of fresh cut Doug Fir and 2 stroke... :)

Later,

Gary

glad to see that you are able and willing to work... be careful with your back and have fun hope to see you at some gtg's

I was part of a cuttin' crew yesterday for a small clearing operation on 25 acres. Mostly Doug Fir, Hemlock, and a lot of Alder... myself and one other cutter were the 2 doin' the fallin' work. First time I have had a saw in wood in over a year since my back injury.

The guy I was workin' with had an awesome Husqvarna 281XP that ran like a top. I was runnin' my 044 with the 28" ES bar and full skip chain. He was runnin' the exact same length and chain But it was a Windsor speed-tip and Oregon full skip.

We both made great time through the wood as the 2 saws really complimented each other. We swapped saws for a few spars and that 281XP is really a cool saw. Since it is 10cc's larger than my 044 it really pulled that 28" bar and chain combo. We were in some 30" dbh Doug's and the 281 was the saw to have. It's been awhile since I have had a a series Husqvarna in my hands.

I have cut down a lot of trees that big with my 044... but the 281 was so much fun to bury in those big trees. My favorite Husqvarna is still the 372XP... but the older 2 series Husqvarnas are great old saws...

It was good to be back out there... I'm pretty sore today. Been awhile since i packed a saw around all day long... but nothin' beats the smell of fresh cut Doug Fir and 2 stroke... :)

Later,

Gary

Glad to hear your back in action. Husky makes a good saw, and the anti-vibe has come miles since those series too. We're all screwed Gary, once you cut timber nothing else will satisfy!

congrats Gary, i couldn't imagine a year off, been 2 weeks now for me and i'm going nuts. too much snow here and my 4x4 is waiting for a new tranny.
any way hope the back is 100%.

Ritch

Later,

Gary

Gary,

Good for you man! Glad your back is doing better. Thanks for the full report minus one rather important detail. What oil/ratio didja use?

Joat

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I am sore form splitting wood (working on 8.5 cords of doug fir FIL cut last weekend) and pull ups and push ups.
The only saw dust I had other than last weekend was building my daughter a play house, that is topping 1K in cost. :censored:

What oil/ratio didja use?

LMAO... I was using... you guessed it! 50:1 Stihl Ultra!!!

Hey you'se guys... thanks for the comments. I had to take it pretty slow just because I didn't wanna reinjure myself. But I was suprised at how quick myself and Tim were moving through the timber. I'm actually sore in the upper body... arms, shoulders and such. Basically I'm out of shape. :dizzy: At the end of the day that 044 was heavy... I'm headed back out on Monday to finish the contract. The buckers were out in full force after we got everything on the lay... So they are gonna have the lot cleaned up and have all the logs out of the way. Then we come back in for round 2... Lookin' forward to it... :)

I do have a job that pays the bills... but my true love is workin' as a cutter/faller. So this injury has been somewhat humbling... especially now that I'm 40, I've learned the hard way that my body does not recover as quickly after a sreious setback.

But that's how we all learn right? The hard way... is there any other way? :laugh:

Thanks again!

Gary

Later,

Gary

If you used Ultra oil the smell of smoke will go away..lol

LMAO... I was using... you guessed it! 50:1 Stihl Ultra!!!

Hey you'se guys... thanks for the comments. I had to take it pretty slow just because I didn't wanna reinjure myself. But I was suprised at how quick myself and Tim were moving through the timber. I'm actually sore in the upper body... arms, shoulders and such. Basically I'm out of shape. :dizzy: At the end of the day that 044 was heavy... I'm headed back out on Monday to finish the contract. The buckers were out in full force after we got everything on the lay... So they are gonna have the lot cleaned up and have all the logs out of the way. Then we come back in for round 2... Lookin' forward to it... :)

I do have a job that pays the bills... but my true love is workin' as a cutter/faller. So this injury has been somewhat humbling... especially now that I'm 40, I've learned the hard way that my body does not recover as quickly after a sreious setback.

But that's how we all learn right? The hard way... is there any other way? :laugh:

Thanks again!

Gary

Glad you are back in action. Disregard my previous post as you were using Ultra

Glad to hear that you are able to have fun, I mean work again.:) Back injuries do suck and some folks never come back from them. I have had back issues for a number of years so I can understand what you have been going through. I do a little bit of cutting on my woodlot, though nothing like what you pros do, and I find the combination of being able to walk on soil verses walking on concrete and working with a saw in a beautiful natural environment the best therapy for my back. Once your core muscles are strengthened you will be feeling even better. Be careful in what you do and how you lift heavy stuff, like V-8 hot saws. I can remember back when I was 40.......:rolleyes:

Gary just likes being out in the the sunshine... hardly had a frost around here yet, no snow at all and most days are dry. In fact, apart from being cooler, the weather is heck of a lot better than August was!

I'm sure I just jinxed it, and we'll have gun-metal gray for months... but that means SKIING!

Back