Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Husky 2100 - new flywheel and piston

ed6cc370e9ac89a9b49dc2066c64ceb5.jpg

28e31f982843fe67c0683b4ec2de36dc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I decided to pull a saw off the pile. I picked a remington MM 400. haha. I know, tiny pos saw. fuel lines and filter, some cleaning. it sat for a long time. dry and cold the compression was 140, a bit of oil in the cylinder it was at 180.
I made an air filter for it, and a splash of premix to get it fired, and it took right off and stayed idling. kinda impressed.
I have 3 spare engines for it and 2 cases. maybe I'll put another one together.
IT maybe a simple saw, but it is still saw and I really enjoyed fixing them.

The MS341 I've got is second hand... not had much love... but just seems to hang there... So I'm half way through giving it a carb service, pressure/vac test (passed with flying colours), new muffler (old one was all cracked and rusted).

Before surgery:
2016-09-28 17.21.15.jpg

Halfway through:
2016-10-09 14.35.00.jpg

I've also managed to "remove" those silly limiter caps from the carby... since before fitting the new shiny muffler I've gutted the insides as best I could with a pillar drill and file... and opened the outlet out a little.
2016-10-19 16.02.41.jpg

The MS341 I've got is second hand... not had much love... but just seems to hang there... So I'm half way through giving it a carb service, pressure/vac test (passed with flying colours), new muffler (old one was all cracked and rusted).

Before surgery:
View attachment 534028

Halfway through:
View attachment 534029

I've also managed to "remove" those silly limiter caps from the carby... since before fitting the new shiny muffler I've gutted the insides as best I could with a pillar drill and file... and opened the outlet out a little.
View attachment 534031

Those are really good saws.

Is the ms 341 a smaller cc version of the ms 361?
No, it's got exactly same CC. It's just very slightly less tuned... but still awesome saw! Wears a 20" bar no probs. There are only a couple of different parts between 341 and 361. I think the 361 has closed transfers, but 341 has open ones. I did a ms460r oil pump upgrade a few years back on it... and yeah it rocks!

Doing a modified "farmer jones" on my 2015 Jred 2166 X-Torq. Removing the restrictors to make it a 372xp, removing the base gasket, made a .015" popup piston to get .023-.025" squish, removed .030" from the bottom of the intake side of the piston skirt, 288xp deflector muffler mod, blending the bottom of the transfers to match the case openings, and blending the output of the exhaust and input of the muffler to match the gasket size.

Mike
IMG_20161031_221621682_HDR.jpg

I'd love to know how that is done! Got any good links to sites of reference?

My whole reason for doing it was that despite squish being OK on most of these XTorq saws when you remove the base gasket, my squish was at like .010 with no base gasket. So, with the gasket being .018, I could either run the base gasket and cut .008 off the cylinder to get more compression, or I could cut the squish band, or I could make a pop-up piston for clearance. Both of the first 2 take more tooling/fixturing than I wanted to make, and cutting a pop-up piston is as simple as chucking the piston in the lathe out in the shop at work, and cutting off .015" from the outer 5/16" or so. This made my squish (with the 4 pieces of solder method) minimum between .023 and .025.

This guy made a fixture for his, but I just chucked mine directly in the lathe (not super-tight), and it didn't mar it or anything.

Mike

I have one I'd like to finish up but don't have the parts. It's a Redmax GZ400 and all I need is a clutch shoe and the oiler worm gear. The saw seemed to run real well until the clutch came apart but when I had it apart I noticed the worm gear didn't engage the pump because it was too worn I guess.

Ok here's the 2100 now. I have a new flywheel to install. I rebuilt the carb. And it needs a new piston.

1e9fb5e061e951bcfff905a8b589fee1.jpg

Ok back together. New piston and rings. Rebuilt carb. Couldn't change the flywheel though. I have the wrong puller and I wasn't comfortable pounding it out. It still has two good starter pawls. If I get down to one I will revisit. For now I need to get this off the bench. Husky 1. Me 0. Started on 4th pull after rebuild. Compression 185 [emoji3]

a689ad93640636fa4a411477ac58316b.jpg

Old piston.
401dc342b11fbf685bebf02b36ba0322.jpg
3d72134e714d443df8b48e4eb7b0d8d6.jpg

Ok... I went kind of masochistic for the last fortnight with the MS341. Yeah the rotor rope could've done with changing, and then I thought "Ok lets just tart up that rewind cover with ~7 coats of white hammerite, and change the badge for new"... Very vain, I know, and my wife is moaning at me saying "But now it just shows up how messy the rest of it is"... :mad: Anyway quit talking.. here's a couple of pics
2016-11-06 15.12.09.jpg

Exciting stuff, eh?

After stripping out the cover, meticulous cleaning etc. then spray painting... the fun task of putting the spring back in :eek: We should have filmed this, I guess, cos the manual was useless, got bored searching youtube... and so kinda winged it with the cover down, a very small screw driver pegging the spring end loop, and then I used the rotor itself to turn the spring tighter. Interesting part being when you gotta hold it together and get the rotor+spring in the recess, and persuade the loop to go back in it's groove etc....without everything exploding back again...

Tada!!!
2016-11-15 17.32.02.jpg

And now back to full glory... and maybe I *might* actually use it to cut some wood later :rock:
2016-11-19 07.00.26.jpg

Ok... I went kind of masochistic for the last fortnight with the MS341. Yeah the rotor rope could've done with changing, and then I thought "Ok lets just tart up that rewind cover with ~7 coats of white hammerite, and change the badge for new"... Very vain, I know, and my wife is moaning at me saying "But now it just shows up how messy the rest of it is"... :mad: Anyway quit talking.. here's a couple of pics
View attachment 538064

Exciting stuff, eh?

After stripping out the cover, meticulous cleaning etc. then spray painting... the fun task of putting the spring back in :eek: We should have filmed this, I guess, cos the manual was useless, got bored searching youtube... and so kinda winged it with the cover down, a very small screw driver pegging the spring end loop, and then I used the rotor itself to turn the spring tighter. Interesting part being when you gotta hold it together and get the rotor+spring in the recess, and persuade the loop to go back in it's groove etc....without everything exploding back again...

Tada!!!
View attachment 538065

And now back to full glory... and maybe I *might* actually use it to cut some wood later :rock:
View attachment 538066
Paint job looks good, unfortunately, gas and spray paint don't play well together.

Latest posts

Back