ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Mastermind, Dec 28, 2014.

1. MattG

MattG Guest

It's hammerite... do you get that in the States? It's quite tough actually....

And regarding any gas or oil daring to touch it......I have a very steady hand.... :p

Woos31 likes this.
  2. Woos31

Woos31 Addicted to ArboristSite

Haha not I, you could probably run year round on the gas and oil I spill lol

James Miller, jakethesnake and MattG like this.
  3. MattG

MattG Guest

I have great admiration for such honesty! ;)

Woos31 likes this.
  4. grizz55chev

grizz55chev Tree Freak

Never heard of hammerite, we do have leaveright, ( leaver right where you found it ). Sorry couldn't resist. Seriously though, will be interesting to see how it holds up, keep us posted.
    :cool:

MattG likes this.
  5. Woos31

Woos31 Addicted to ArboristSite

Funny thing is I have OCD really bad and it drives me nuts but still seem to spill like somebody is jabbing me with a hot poker lol

MattG likes this.
  6. a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr. Tree Freak

Not on the bench but outside: Since it's getting close to winter thought this might be a good day to fix the heater on my truck. I'll know in a day or two if I actually did it any good..

7. DeckSetter

DeckSetter ArboristSite Operative

I've had to rewind the recoil spring on my CS-8000 3 or 4 times in the last month. What seems to work for me is winding it into the housing. Hook the outside end first, then coil it inside. Just spin the recoil assembly around and around so the spring can stay stretched out until it goes in. It's really not bad to do after the 3rd or 4th time....

.....but I hope I don't have to do it again, I'll be PISSED.

MattG likes this.
  8. MattG

MattG Guest

Yes, that's pretty much what we did. My wife was close by to steady the housing and yeah I hooked the outer looped end with a very small electrical screwdriver whilst winding it tighter in...fun part is the last 3 or so turns where the sharp edge of the spring starts to shave at the plastic of the rotor somewhat...and finally where you very carefully persuade the loop back into the recess. Shame I didn't get one of the kids to film it all mind :(

Well, I've got a TS400 disk cutter to refurb soon (whole strip down I think)...I know for a fact the recoil spring is weak cos the start handle dangles and it doesn't rewind particularly well. Not looking forward to doing that bad boy...still at least I've had some practice with my MS341!

9. bigbadbob

bigbadbob Addicted to ArboristSite

Couple of saws from last spring, on on the right fires and runs 150 comp, it did make death rattle sounds,, one clutch spring was off, now sounds great, the other is lightly scored, they both came from loggers so lots of hours on them. But price was right,,
    BBB
    others1.jpg others2.jpg

MattG, Meadow Beaver and grizz55chev like this.
  10. nstueve

nstueve Makita Freak!

Welding bench is almost done...

[​IMG]

bigbadbob likes this.
  11. a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr. Tree Freak

Still waiting on parts from overseas, clutch springs for my 038, a PC kit for an 066 and a handlebar for same. Postage really backed up this year. I hear the airlines and USPS have settled their differences so maybe stuff may be coming my way..

12. a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr. Tree Freak

Springs came in yesterday. Awfully hard job to replace one broken spring! I ended up almost disassembling the whole saw to replace that little spring! Once I had the clutch off I found it very difficult to pull the spring hard enough to go into the hole. Needless to say I just replaced the one rather than the whole set..worked just fine, kept the other two springs for spares..

13. nstueve

nstueve Makita Freak!

Bottom 6100 got a fresh top end and she's back to life!
    [​IMG]

This turd runs now too!
    [​IMG]

MattG likes this.
  14. nstueve

nstueve Makita Freak!

there is a couple cheap Stihl spring tools for pulling/pushing the clutch and brake springs on/off. Talk to dave on "O_P_E"

15. a. palmer jr.

a. palmer jr. Tree Freak

I fashioned a piece of hard wire into a small loop to pull on the springs, still wasn't easy to get the spring in the hole.