Back In The Shop......Now What's On Your Bench????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok... I went kind of masochistic for the last fortnight with the MS341. Yeah the rotor rope could've done with changing, and then I thought "Ok lets just tart up that rewind cover with ~7 coats of white hammerite, and change the badge for new"... Very vain, I know, and my wife is moaning at me saying "But now it just shows up how messy the rest of it is"... :mad: Anyway quit talking.. here's a couple of pics
View attachment 538064

Exciting stuff, eh?

After stripping out the cover, meticulous cleaning etc. then spray painting... the fun task of putting the spring back in :eek: We should have filmed this, I guess, cos the manual was useless, got bored searching youtube... and so kinda winged it with the cover down, a very small screw driver pegging the spring end loop, and then I used the rotor itself to turn the spring tighter. Interesting part being when you gotta hold it together and get the rotor+spring in the recess, and persuade the loop to go back in it's groove etc....without everything exploding back again...

Tada!!!
View attachment 538065

And now back to full glory... and maybe I *might* actually use it to cut some wood later :rock:
View attachment 538066
I've had to rewind the recoil spring on my CS-8000 3 or 4 times in the last month. What seems to work for me is winding it into the housing. Hook the outside end first, then coil it inside. Just spin the recoil assembly around and around so the spring can stay stretched out until it goes in. It's really not bad to do after the 3rd or 4th time....

.....but I hope I don't have to do it again, I'll be PISSED.

I've had to rewind the recoil spring on my CS-8000 3 or 4 times in the last month. What seems to work for me is winding it into the housing. Hook the outside end first, then coil it inside. Just spin the recoil assembly around and around so the spring can stay stretched out until it goes in. It's really not bad to do after the 3rd or 4th time....

.....but I hope I don't have to do it again, I'll be PISSED.
Yes, that's pretty much what we did. My wife was close by to steady the housing and yeah I hooked the outer looped end with a very small electrical screwdriver whilst winding it tighter in...fun part is the last 3 or so turns where the sharp edge of the spring starts to shave at the plastic of the rotor somewhat...and finally where you very carefully persuade the loop back into the recess. Shame I didn't get one of the kids to film it all mind :(

Well, I've got a TS400 disk cutter to refurb soon (whole strip down I think)...I know for a fact the recoil spring is weak cos the start handle dangles and it doesn't rewind particularly well. Not looking forward to doing that bad boy...still at least I've had some practice with my MS341!

Welding bench is almost done...

a0e808cabdbd1ada34c182a1426b4a83.jpg

Still waiting on parts from overseas, clutch springs for my 038, a PC kit for an 066 and a handlebar for same. Postage really backed up this year. I hear the airlines and USPS have settled their differences so maybe stuff may be coming my way..

Springs came in yesterday. Awfully hard job to replace one broken spring! I ended up almost disassembling the whole saw to replace that little spring! Once I had the clutch off I found it very difficult to pull the spring hard enough to go into the hole. Needless to say I just replaced the one rather than the whole set..worked just fine, kept the other two springs for spares..

Still waiting on parts from overseas, clutch springs for my 038, a PC kit for an 066 and a handlebar for same. Postage really backed up this year. I hear the airlines and USPS have settled their differences so maybe stuff may be coming my way..
there is a couple cheap Stihl spring tools for pulling/pushing the clutch and brake springs on/off. Talk to dave on "O_P_E"

Back